what is a recommended laptop for gaming?

MuchTooSexy

Mar 31, 2014
I want a laptop that can perform (almost) as well as my old desktop when i am at home at my desk. I am considering plugging a dGPU (an rtx 3080ti from the old desktop) into an external enclosure through thunderbolt. games are mostly shooters like destiny 2, overwatch, halo infinite. the resolution i play at is 1440p at 144hz.

i would also like to use this same laptop for gaming while on travel. (though most likely not as well performing.)

Are there any suggested laptops to shop? i assume a i7-12700H would where i want to aim, but maybe a i5 can do as well? budget is a firm $2k.

MuchTooSexy

Mar 31, 2014
Thanks for the link. I guess i am approaching things backwards. instead of having an existing laptop i am trying to improve upon by getting an external gpu, i am shopping for an laptop to go with the other parts i already have. am i just looking for an i7 with thunderbolt to make it all work?

MuchTooSexy

Mar 31, 2014
those are some interesting suggestions. thanks.

so my last question on this is whether an i5-12500H is enough or if a i7-12700 is worth the extra expense for this purpose.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
If you were willing to sacrifice the 12th gen i7 for 11th gen you could squeeze an RTX 3080 into the budget...

Screenshot_20220504-102357_Newegg.jpg

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
so my last question on this is whether an i5-12500H is enough or if a i7-12700 is worth the extra expense for this purpose.
I'm not finding i5s available with higher end graphics. If you were building your own system the i5 might be a good choice but right now I'm only seeing i7s (or that AMD R9) paired with a 3070 or 3080 in laptops.

You could get a lower spec system and use your desktop GPU externally but that seems a bit janky to me.

Your budget allows for a darn nice laptop with a darn nice internal dGPU.

Reactions: MuchTooSexy

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
When I traveled for work I was typically at one hotel for at least a week, typically 3, and occasionally for as long as 9. Back in the day I'd lug my full desktop rig. Might not have done this for shorter stays...

As I got older and electronics got more portable I switched to my huge heavy desktop replacement laptop and eventually to a normal sized thin gaming laptop.

My last few trips I got by with just my phone, a DeX and the hotel's TV.

MuchTooSexy

Mar 31, 2014
When I traveled for work I was typically at one hotel for at least a week, typically 3, and occasionally for as long as 9. Back in the day I'd lug my full desktop rig. Might not have done this for shorter stays...

As I got older and electronics got more portable I switched to my huge heavy desktop replacement laptop and eventually to a normal sized thin gaming laptop.

My last few trips I got by with just my phone, a DeX and the hotel's TV.
i do go on business travel (flying). Thus the idea of having an external gpu that can be unplugged when leaving the house. so i wonder how lightweight can the laptop be and still perform well while at home, and also not be too burdensome while traveling. ie a 13 or 14in rather than the 15 to 17in gaming laptops.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Ahhh, I had it twisted around.

Then the question becomes how much performance are you willing to sacrifice on the road when you don't have the accelerator?

I've got a $750.00 1660ti/i5 laptop that is plenty for me on the road. In fact until recently it was the most powerful system in the house.

MuchTooSexy

Mar 31, 2014
i see the DELL inspiron with 11th gen i7 and thunderbolt (for the external gpu) for about $750.

12th gen stuff is arriving or right around the corner, but a lot more expensive. would that make much difference in the way i plan to use the device?

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
11th gen is okay but it was a stopgap measure originally designed for the new 10nm process. When they couldn't get the new process working they backported the design to the old 14nm process.

12th gen finally saw production on the new/smaller process. 12th gen is faster and more efficient and built on the "Intel 7" process.

Right now Intel's 12th gen is best, followed by AMD's 5000 series, and Intel's 11th gen taking 3rd place.

Last edited: