What is a .png file?

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
I got this .png file on my computer that I cant delete. It says its in use. It opens up as an image but is just black. It is 16.0KB big. The image file that opens comes up as a bad or unreconized image. Everytime I try to delete it says its in use. Any idea on how to find out what is using it? Or any idea on how to get rid of it? Im on win2kpro, how do I boot into DOS (if you even can)?

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Hmm.. figures
Danm,
still cant figure out what process is using this danm thing.
Is there anyway that there could be a virius attached to this thing? I scanned it and it comes up clean, but maybe....

I dont know.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
it is a good format

haven't heard of a png virus, but i will check

oh my, here is something link

Microsoft Internet Explorer PNG Deflate Heap Corruption Vulnerability
Risk
High

Date Discovered
12-12-2002

Description

A heap corruption vulnerability has been reported for Microsoft Internet Explorer.

The vulnerability is related to the way that Microsoft Internet Explorer interprets PNG image data. The function that handles the deflation of PNG images does not properly handle some invalid data within PNG image files.

An attacker can exploit this vulnerability by tricking a user into viewing a maliciously constructed PNG image file. When the image file is rendered it will trigger the heap corruption condition and overwrite critical areas in memory. Any malicious attacker-supplied code will be executed with elevated privileges.

It should be noted that applications which depend on MSIE to render PNG files are also affected.

This vulnerability has been resolved in MSIE 6.0 SP 1. Users are advised to obtain the latest version of MSIE.

what version of IE you running? if you are on 6 and haven't gone to SP1, you might want to

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Originally posted by: illusion88
I got this .png file on my computer that I cant delete. It says its in use. It opens up as an image but is just black. It is 16.0KB big. The image file that opens comes up as a bad or unreconized image. Everytime I try to delete it says its in use. Any idea on how to find out what is using it? Or any idea on how to get rid of it? Im on win2kpro, how do I boot into DOS (if you even can)?

Can ya reboot and delete it?

GOOGLE for PROCESSNT .. you can do a search for the filename and it will tell you which processes are holding the png. Usually it's explorer.exe. You can try and kill explorer.exe *meltdown* and rebuild (restart it)

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Sometimes that happens to me when I try to delete other image files or videos. I think it's because Windows is trying to generate a preview or thumbnail. What works usually is I just right click in an empty space, hover my mouse to "new.." then click on "new text file". A blank one is made, and I select both the text file and the problematic multimedia file and delete it. With 2 or more files selected, Windows dont' bother trying to generate a thumbnail. Maybe your problem is different...but try that.

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
Make a bootable floppy, boot the machine to the floppy and delete the file from DOS. Then reboot into Win2K. Should be gone.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Hey thanks guys for all of the information. I have my windows currently updated so I dont think its IExplorer Fobot. But thank you for the information. Im going with compu dogs solution... I used to do it in Win98. Can you believe that win 2k requires 4 disks for a boot disk? What crap.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Just go into command prompt and navigate to the file and delete the file.

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Nohr
That's an image file, Portable Network Graphics I believe.

that's the one :)

it's a great format - totally lossless, transparency support, etc. too bad more people dont use it :(
JPEG artifacts = suckage

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
Just go into command prompt and navigate to the file and delete the file.

Ditto, or just end explorer and start it again and try deleting it. Booting from a floppy is not going to work if the partition is NTFS.