What is a P3 Flip Chip?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
A Pentium III "flip-chip" is a socketed Pentium III. Specifically, though, they are 0.18µ, 256K, socketed Pentium III's.

Viper GTS

Ulysses

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2000
See http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q2/000511/index.html for pictures and other info

The original P3 format, which is still used, was the SECC2 format (Single Edge Contact Cartridge 2) which is the 'chip-inside-a-big-black-plastic-cartridge' form. It requires a mobo with a Slot 1 connector for the CPU.

The FC-PGA format (Flip Chip-Pin Grid Array) came in with the P3 Coppermine (although the CuMines come in either form) and is the 'little-green-chip-with-pins-on-the-bottom' form. Those can fit in a mobo with a Socket 370 connector or into a mobo with a Slot 1 connector plus a 'slocket' socket to slot adapter made specifically for FC-PGA's (cost is about $20).

Whether a Coppermine is in SECC2 or FC-PGA form, the chip itself is the same.

AMB

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2000
Which one is easiest to cool, could people give me their theroies please.

Ulysses

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2000
Your Tyan is a Socket 370, of course. For it I'd get a Golden Orb for a FC-PGA and be happy.

Speaking in general, though, both types are ''easy'' to cool in that there are good HSF combos available for both types from Alpha, Global Win, Golden Orb, etc. The effectiveness of the cooling and which HSF's you can use depends on the layout of the board and the location of the CPU, surrounding capacitors, etc., and whether you're using a slocket adapter or not. The problem is that some boards are more ''crowded'' than others with respect to the ability to physically accept larger HSF's. And some of the better HSF's, like many Alphas, are quite big - that's why they're effective. Often the HSF will fit but will block one or more DIMM's that you might or might not need, especially with a Slot 1 board.

In the end it's probably a draw, but the FC-PGA is the new standard.

birddog

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2000
I also have a trinity 400 mobo. I'd get the 'flipchip'. Tyan will not allow you to adjust the CPU voltage in the bios; If you get the flip chip, you can use it in the socket 370. If you want to seriously overclock, you'll need to get a slotkit (you can adjust the voltage on the slotkit) & use the socket 1. If you get the slot 1 version, you have no way of doing voltage adjustments. Also, since this MoBo has both types of sockets, Its a little cramped for space between the slot 1 and the RAM slots. If you get the slot 1, there is room for the retail heatsink/fan, but you'll lose a RAM bank or two if you put on a huge aftermarket cooler. There is plenty of room around the socket 370 for the heatsink/fan. With my slotkit & flipchip in the socket 1, can put a golden orb on the cpu & have @ 2mm spare room between the orb & the last ram chip. THere is no way an Alpha slot 1 cooler would fit in that room.