Question What is a good/cheap basic video editing software?

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
Title kind of states it.

Short:
What is a good but cheap/free video editing software for mp4 files? OS can be windows or Ubuntu. Looking for simple functionality like pulling full sized clips out of middle of video or adding a 1 sec 'play' of a picture.

Long:
I'm agnostic about OS. I've got Windows on a few machines and Ubuntu on a few more.

I have video that will be between 15 minutes long to two or three hours long. I want to pull ~1 minute snippets from out of the video and splice them together into a short 2-3 minute video... maybe max of 10 minutes. I want to display a picture for the first ~1-2 seconds of the video; think logo or disclaimer. Basically, I've got some onroad/offroad vehicle footage that I want to share I shorter videos than the raw footage.

So what is a good video editing software for either windows or Ubuntu?

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
What is a good but cheap/free video editing software for mp4 files? OS can be windows or Ubuntu. Looking for simple functionality like pulling full sized clips out of middle of video or adding a 1 sec 'play' of a picture.
If you're not offended by the interface, Avidemux is a popular simple software capable of what you described.

If you treat this as an opportunity to learn something really useful, check DaVinci Resolve (Filmora is not a bad option as well).
It may seem an overkill for what you're asking right now, but it's a complete, modern, polished video-editing suite. It may pay off at some point.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
If u need a good video combiner, use Movavi. This is a very handy program with a huge number of useful functions and a friendly interface, even not the most advanced PC user will deal with it. As for me, there is no need to try to invent a bicycle when there are so many easy-to-use programs.
Invent a bicycle huh? ;)

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If you're not offended by the interface, Avidemux is a popular simple software capable of what you described.

Can anyone recommend freeware as simple/clean interface as Avidemux (where it's the video, not controls taking up most of the app window), but is also capable of reversing the frame order?

Apparently Avidemux was capable of this a decade ago but trying the current version, no longer supports that and the old version fails with no info why, just a popup that it failed.

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
Title kind of states it.

Short:

Long:
I'm agnostic about OS. I've got Windows on a few machines and Ubuntu on a few more.

I have video that will be between 15 minutes long to two or three hours long. I want to pull ~1 minute snippets from out of the video and splice them together into a short 2-3 minute video... maybe max of 10 minutes. I want to display a picture for the first ~1-2 seconds of the video; think logo or disclaimer. Basically, I've got some onroad/offroad vehicle footage that I want to share I shorter videos than the raw footage.

So what is a good video editing software for either windows or Ubuntu?
I used to use Adobe Premiere Elements 2021 until I realized that the videos I export which were shot with my phone, when I copy them back to my phone, the cropping is all messed up the video appears tiny in the middle with black bars surrounding everything only when viewed on the cell phone. I then discovered Movavi Video Editor Plus, it is very easy to use, and can properly crop/scale the video. It's not expensive and is a lifetime license.