What if Trump is really suffering from early-onset Alzheimer's?

Feb 10, 2000
I found this article really interesting and thought-provoking - http://www.salon.com/2016/04/25/may...p_frontrunner_isnt_crazy_but_simply_not_well/

The Donald Trump gaffe track keeps playing. The GOP frontrunner seems to literally spew out a doozy almost daily. Campaigning in Pittsburgh, he recently blathered, “How’s Joe Paterno? We gonna bring that back? Right? How about that—how about that whole deal?” While his campaign suggested he was referring to the former Penn State football coach’s statue, it was hard to shake the sense that Trump was unaware that Paterno died in 2012 and that Pittsburgh has no direct tie to the sports program at Penn State, which is located three hours east.

But here’s the thing, the Trump campaign seems to be filled with more than just gaffes. Channeling his inner Sarah Palin, Trump’s rants often seem to lose any connection with reality at all. Take the example of Trump’s interview with the Washington Post editorial board in March. During that exchange one of the editors asked Trump if he would consider using a tactical nuclear weapon against ISIS.

Check out Trump’s reply:

TRUMP: I don’t want to use, I don’t want to start the process of nuclear. Remember the one thing that everybody has said, I’m a counterpuncher. Rubio hit me. Bush hit me. When I said low energy, he’s a low-energy individual, he hit me first. I spent, by the way, he spent 18 million dollars’ worth of negative ads on me. That’s putting [MUFFLED]…

RYAN: This is about ISIS. You would not use a tactical nuclear weapon against ISIS?

TRUMP: I’ll tell you one thing, this is a very good-looking group of people here. Could I just go around so I know who the hell I’m talking to?

We have become so accustomed to these sorts of ramblings that we don’t really register them as anything more than standard nonsensical Trump-speak—a pattern of speech we have seen crop up across the GOP in recent years, most notably in Palin’s gibberish. But I urge you to re-read the exchange above and register the range of nonsense—the lack of basic grammar, the odd syntax, the abrupt shift in topic, the disconnect from reality, the paranoia, and the seeming inability to even grasp the question.

The Alzheimer’s Association tells us that if two of the following core mental functions seem impaired then it is time to seek medical help: Memory, communication and language, ability to focus and pay attention, reasoning and judgment, visual perception. Alzheimer’s carries other symptoms besides memory loss including difficulty remembering newly learned information, disorientation, mood and behavior changes; deepening confusion about events, time and place; unfounded suspicions about family, friends and professional caregivers; more serious memory loss and behavior changes.

Last October, Death and Taxes ran a piece wondering if Trump had dementia. They pointed to the fact that Trump’s father, Fred, was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s six years prior to his death. They also highlighted Trump’s aggressive late-night tweets, his childish behavior, his name-calling and mood swings. They explained that it would be really easy for Trump take some tests and prove that he is mentally fit. “Because if Trump can prove he’s not suffering from a degenerative neurological disorder that has left him with a damaged mind devoid of all shame or self-awareness, he might just be an asshole.”

Lee Camp’s Redacted Tonight reminded viewers that Trump speaks at a fourth grade level. That makes him, according to Camp, scientifically proven to be the dumbest candidate of them all. But Camp’s joke is only funny if Trump is talking that way to attract voters who respond to his simplistic rhetoric. It’s not funny if he really has lost the ability to speak like a healthy adult.

On one hand, there is something tragically hilarious about the fact that one can hardly distinguish the actual policy pronouncements of the Republican nominee for President from complete gobbledygook. On the other, this is a real election, and one that presents the real chance (albeit a fairly small chance) of a Trump presidency. I find that prospect jarring and more than a little scary.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
People are talking about it. I'm not sure we know what is going on folks. Really what is going on?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
At some point you have to wonder how somebody can consistently be that tone deaf and error prone.

Goat help us all if he's elected

Feb 16, 2005
Alzheimers causes behavioral changes. Trump has been the same flaming asshole for at least 30 years so I don't think it's that.

+1
This isn't some sudden onset of asshole-itis. he' been a douchebag his whole life. Absolutely the status quo for his behavior.

Feb 4, 2009
No he's not but he does not have a rich mans diet. He prefers fast food, I think KFC first, then Wendy's then anything else fast. Makes sense because I read he is all about the efficiency these places have and he really eats just because he has to. He's in pretty good shape given his age and diet.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Alzheimer's runs in my family on my mother's side (not early onset, but then again Trump is 70 yo, hardly early onset category). Interesting theory but I doubt it. Personality frequently changes but not always then again as pointed out Trump has been a vain big mouth a**hole for 20-30 years. Alzheimer's progresses in different people at very different rates but Trump doesn't display as many signs as St. Ronald did in the end of his second term.

I think it's more a factor of exhaustion (he's visibly aged to me during the one year of campaigning), arrogance and most important-his campaign style-almost exclusively focused on rallies to the faithful-who love to hear that stuff and he knows it. Remember at his core he's a sales man and just can't resist saying what his targets want to hear.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
I found this article really interesting and thought-provoking - http://www.salon.com/2016/04/25/may...p_frontrunner_isnt_crazy_but_simply_not_well/

On one hand, there is something tragically hilarious about the fact that one can hardly distinguish the actual policy pronouncements of the Republican nominee for President from complete gobbledygook. On the other, this is a real election, and one that presents the real chance (albeit a fairly small chance) of a Trump presidency. I find that prospect jarring and more than a little scary.

I dont think he is getting early-onset Alzheimer's ... He was always quite loopy :D

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Could be. All Republicans see themselves as the next Ronald Reagan.
Which is hilarious because Reagan was not popular at all.
-He supported mass immigration.
-He sold weapons to terrorists.
-He knowingly fueled the HIV epidemic.
-He was part of the reason cocaine was huge during that time.
-He spent more than any other president in history.

He has that same bizarre cult following that Putin has. Being a bad person is ok as long as you look cool while doing it.

Tormac

Feb 3, 2011
I always assumed that he grew up rich, and he is used to being able to get away with saying what ever he felt like. He has a combination of an everyman charisma, coupled with being a billionaire, and I suspect that he has very rarely ever suffered directly for saying a bone headed thing because he is used to being the "boss" and no one with power over him has called him on anything.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
I always assumed that he grew up rich, and he is used to being able to get away with saying what ever he felt like. He has a combination of an everyman charisma, coupled with being a billionaire, and I suspect that he has very rarely ever suffered directly for saying a bone headed thing because he is used to being the "boss" and no one with power over him has called him on anything.
Yep. Regardless of why Trump is successful, it's a fact that he is successful. That gets to people, and they start thinking they are smarter than everyone else. The media pours gas on the fire by pretending successful people have more credibility. Who the hell is Mark Cuban, and why should anyone care what he thinks about anything? I always see clips of that guy and I have no clue who he is. How big do you think that guy's head is? People want his opinion on everything. Chappelle had a bit about this. Ja Rule and 9/11:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yep. Regardless of why Trump is successful, it's a fact that he is successful. That gets to people, and they start thinking they are smarter than everyone else. The media pours gas on the fire by pretending successful people have more credibility. Who the hell is Mark Cuban, and why should anyone care what he thinks about anything? I always see clips of that guy and I have no clue who he is. How big do you think that guy's head is? People want his opinion on everything. Chappelle had a bit about this. Ja Rule and 9/11:

People mostly ask his opinion of Trump's business acumen. Mark Cuban (unlike Trump) is actually a self made billionaire. I think it's pretty telling that people who actually built themselves up from nothing think Trump is a terrible businessman. Why do you think that is?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well, Trump's memory is now telling him that Obama and Hillary co-founded ISIS. He seems to believe this, so maybe there is some truth to this alzheimer's idea.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
People mostly ask his opinion of Trump's business acumen. Mark Cuban (unlike Trump) is actually a self made billionaire. I think it's pretty telling that people who actually built themselves up from nothing think Trump is a terrible businessman. Why do you think that is?

They should just put Bloomberg on TV weekly bashing his business skills since it really seems to get deep under that thin skin.