What if Trump declares State of Emergency to get Wall funding?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
And by build his wall, it means award juicy contracts to his business partners and friends.

Of course, one of the largest steel producers is EVRAZ, which is controlled by Roman Abramovich, Alexander Abramov, and Aleksandr Frolov, who are close to Putin.

Evraz shareholders Roman Abramovich, Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov on list of those said to have benefitted from close ties to Russian leader. (NB: National Post is Canadian, hence they talk about EVRAZ's Canadian operations. EVRAZ North America is headquartered in Chicago.)

No would-be President-for-Life can get to be President-for-Life without creating some oligarchs. Oligarchs are the best garchs.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Just curious, has Trump ever actually had anyone spend anytime researching the actual needs of the southern border, where a wall is needed, where things really need to be positioned, i.e. done some planning to address the problem? Or has he just screamed that a wall is needed based on his feelings. I've seen better preparation by the worst team in the NFL the week before a football game than what he has had his people propose. I know he's a deep thinker and probably smarter than anyone he employs, but c'mon.

He's a con artist selling the magical elixir his base craves.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Just curious, has Trump ever actually had anyone spend anytime researching the actual needs of the southern border, where a wall is needed, where things really need to be positioned, i.e. done some planning to address the problem? Or has he just screamed that a wall is needed based on his feelings. I've seen better preparation by the worst team in the NFL the week before a football game than what he has had his people propose. I know he's a deep thinker and probably smarter than anyone he employs, but c'mon.

The wall is a fake plank in the platform, just like deficit spending. They only mention it because they think it will improve their poll numbers. They don't care. And they know it is a worthless waste of money. Most Republicans know this project is going to be a fiasco. There will almost certainly be massive cost overruns and it will fail to stop illegal immigration. It has dumb idea written all over it.

If the project had been launched anytime in the last two years, it would have been by a Republican President, a Republican Senate, and a Republican House. There wouldn't have been a lot of room for the Republicans to blame the Democrats when the project became a public scandal.

So they waited until the Democrats had regained some power and then tried to bring them in on it. That way, the Republicans would be able to deny responsibility in the future.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
What if he did? How would it affect you or the rights of any American? Our backwards left today doesn't think it is ok to secure borders.
Well, the Catholic church that's stood for 120 years that Trump needs the land for the wall might think it would affect their rights.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Two-thirds of Americans oppose Trump declaring a national emergency to build a wall.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-new...ency-for-wall/

If he calls the National Emergency, it'll get challenged in court, might go all the way to SCOTUS. Some section of the wall might be built on some land already owned by the military, everybody goes home, America remains stupid.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
People need to have an understanding of these things in face of the Great Deep State Myth.

Our country has employed armies of accountants, biz-school graduates, law-enforcement professionals -- border patrol and immigration agents! -- intelligence professionals and others for a century to manage government at state and federal levels. They are human. They make mistakes.

The Trumpie Base wants to upend all of this. Knowledge has no value. Experience has no value. Only a Grifter and tax-fraud who reads and writes at the 11th-grade level has value. "Let's shake things up!" means putting jagged rocks in a box of Waterford crystal for which they have little or no understanding and giving it all a good shake. Give it all a good shake because "We're madder than hell and not going to take it anymore!"

How to protect the border in wilderness areas? Places that contain national monuments, wildlife refuges and Indian reservations? Plant sensors deployed previously in war zones; fund and man quick-response helicopters; hire more civil-service border patrol agents.

The experts know these things. Trump doesn't even read. He won't listen to experts. He thinks he's an expert for being a construction mogul, a grifter - grafter tax-fraud and a psychologically-disordered spotlight-addict.

Hillary was wrong. Trump is a reflection of his Base. They're not "deplorable." They're despicable. Despicable for being ignorant; despicable for being xenophobic; despicable for being racist; and despicable for hating what they're a part of, then wrapping themselves in the flag and calling themselves patriots.

Most of what Trump learned came from his father. Wharton didn't do a damn thing for him. We're talking about three generations of corner-cutting crooks.

Reactions: edblor
Jan 25, 2011
Two-thirds of Americans oppose Trump declaring a national emergency to build a wall.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-new...ency-for-wall/

If he calls the National Emergency, it'll get challenged in court, might go all the way to SCOTUS. Some section of the wall might be built on some land already owned by the military, everybody goes home, America remains stupid.
Too bad he only governs in the interests of the one third who blindly support anything he does.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Why do you think he didn't do anything about the wall while he and the Republicans controlled the White House and both houses of Congress, and could have easily passed a bill to build it?

Probably because it was on the back burner while he negotiated better pro-America trade deals, pushed through his tax cuts, and improved the economy. Can only do so much in a couple of years.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If Trump would declare State of Emergency to get funding for his Wall, apparently he can take from the military budget. My question, can he take whatever he wants immediately or can the Pentagon for example refuse to give him the money?

Sure Dems in congress will take the case to court, but it can take some time before the US Supreme Court will rule on it.. meanwhile Trump can start building his stupid wall wasting military budget. Can he be stopped from getting access to any funding?

I'm afraid if Trump gets access to that military budget, that he will start building a wall that never gets finished but still would cost us alot of taxpayer money.

Really torn on this. The obvious issue, he is acting like a dictator and a giant baby. Which will set precedent for future assholes to do the same. But he is stealing from the military to build a useless wall. So potentially less bombs being dropped on brown people.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
We'll have to raise taxes.

Just end foreign aid to Mexico.

Impose a 1,000% tariff on everything imported from Mexico.

Start oil drilling off the coast of Mexico and drain their offshore oil fields - put the platforms in international waters and slant drill. We can leach from oil fields under Mexica controlled waters.

Tax all money sent electronically to Mexico.

Never mind, just invade Mexico, divide it up and turn into southern states. I am sure we could conquer Mexico within 30 days, which the President can wage for without congress.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Good, thumbs up, please do.

Whatever it takes to secure the southern border, do it!!!!!!!

Start oil drilling off the coast of Mexico and drain their offshore oil fields - put the platforms in international waters and slant drill. We can leach from oil fields under Mexica controlled waters.

Never mind, just invade Mexico, divide it up and turn into southern states. I am sure we could conquer Mexico within 30 days, which the President can wage for without congress.
So when you wrote, "Whatever it takes,…, do it!!!!!!!", what you really meant was, "as long as it doesn't inconvenience me or cost me money, hell even murder people for the wall."

Reactions: Sunburn74

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Probably because it was on the back burner while he negotiated better pro-America trade deals, pushed through his tax cuts, and improved the economy. Can only do so much in a couple of years.

1) Why do you think previous presidents were able to accomplish so much more? Obama did way more than that with his first two years, for example.

2) If this was on the back burner as something he wanted to do then why wasn't the money included in his budget request?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

Shouldn't you try annexation first, Adolf? You goddamned Nazi wannabes are hiding from yourselves. You need to own that shit. Because when I apply the walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, you guys are Nazis.

Reactions: dawp and edblor

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

What makes you think the trade deals are actually better? because Trump says so?

I remember that time he denuclearized N Korea...

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Kill the Mexicans & take their oil... Where else did I see something like that?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I'd rather we just harvest you and the other deplorables for valuable minerals and nutrients that could be put to better use in fertilizing our agriculture.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
It's not looking like the GOP is even too excited about him declaring a national emergency, it probably won't happen. He'll just try to scrounge some loose change from somewhere to improve the border, maybe from the idiots that set up Gofundme accounts.

In case the deplorable Texan above thinks the Democrats don't want border security watch this clip, it sounds exactly like Trump is parroting Bill Clinton. DJT is just a copycat.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4689871/bill-clinton-howwhy-illegal-immigrants-america

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The only thing Trump wants out of getting his wall is political relevancy with his base. He really is done, if he doesn't get his wall, which explains the desperation and which is why he will declare the emergency.

Edit: silly part about the wall is that it was a suggestion by Roger Stone to Trump as a way of reminding him to push the immigration problem, not really a physical wall.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Hmm...interesting that this is in the New York Times today...is this justification for declaring an emergency, or is this crisis being magnified by focusing on the wall vs. border security as a whole (along w/diplomacy?)

Seems like the intelligent way to handle this crisis is with humanitarian aid and local outreach efforts in-country to warn these folk about the dangers and hardships they will face en route to America.

If I were conservative media, I’d be asking why there are so many buses going straight from Guatemala to the border all of a sudden.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/us/border-crossing-increase.html

Border at ‘Breaking Point’ as More than 76,000 Migrants Cross in a Month

For the fourth time in five months, the number of migrant families crossing the southwest border has broken records, border enforcement authorities said Tuesday, warning that government facilities are full and agents are overwhelmed.

More than 76,000 migrants crossed the border without authorization in February, more than double the levels from the same period last year and approaching the largest numbers seen in any February in the last 12 years.
More than 90 percent of the new arrivals were from Guatemala, officials said, with a significant change in the dynamics of the migration: While Central American migrants once took weeks to journey through Mexico to the United States, many Guatemalan families are now boarding buses and reaching the southwest border in as little as four to seven days “on a very consistent basis,”

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
So basically instead of building a wall to keep mexicans out, we essentially should just basically force them all in by gunpoint? Including the people who don't really even want to be here?

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Once again, Donny took careful aim at his dick, and then shot it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/04/opinions/trump-national-emergency-eminent-domain-panfil/index.html

Trump's emergency makes it harder to build the wall

President Donald Trump can declare a national emergency, and the government can take land for the border wall. But Trump can't do both. University of Texas property law professor Christopher Johns can see into the future. His final exam for last year's eminent domain and property law class included the following question:
President Trump has decided to build the Wall, but Congress refuses to fund or consent to his project. Frustrated, Trump decides to go it alone, and acquire land for the wall anyway. Can he do it?

The correct answer? No, the President cannot unilaterally take land without Congressional authorization. "If my students said 'Yeah, the president has the power to do this,' I wouldn't have given them any points," Johns told me.

In the days since Donald Trump declared a national emergency on the southern border, he has been rebuffed by Congress and sued by 16 states. Politicians and litigators argue that Trump doesn't have the authority to divert funds for constructing a wall, but they miss a potent argument: Trump may not have the authority to seize the land to build his wall.

In order to build a wall, the government must use its eminent domain power to seize more than 1,000 miles of property along the border. That power to take private property for public use is bedrock to a functioning government: It allows us to build bridges and highways, establish public parks and run utility lines.

But, eminent domain power rests in the legislative branch. That means the President needs congressional authorization to take land. By going around Congress and declaring a national emergency, Trump just ensured that congressional authorization isn't coming any time soon. In doing so, he may have created a massive barrier -- so to speak -- to his ability to construct the wall. He needs land for the wall, and if he's not allowed to take the land, he's stuck.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, there aren't many court cases that involve a president trying to grab property by fiat. The most cited analogue is the Supreme Court's 1952 decision in Youngstown v. Sawyer. There, at the height of the Korean War, President Truman had attempted to use his executive powers to nationalize steel mills in the face of a labor strike. The Supreme Court said that even during a war the president cannot seize private property without legislative authorization.

The court rebuffed Truman's attempt to use the Korean War as a justification, stating that "even though 'theater of war' be an expanding concept, we cannot with faithfulness to our constitutional system hold that the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces has the ultimate power as such to take possession of private property in order to keep labor disputes from stopping production. This is a job for the Nation's lawmakers, not for its military authorities."

So if this argument is such a slam dunk, why aren't we hearing more about it?
One reason may be that property is a highly specialized field of law, and there just aren't that many lawyers who can speak authoritatively on both emergency powers and eminent domain. Of 11 experts that Vox recently asked whether Trump can use emergency powers for the wall, only one -- George Mason University law professor Ilya Somin -- discussed the property rights angle in detail. I reached out to the other 10 experts: Most responded that while Somin's argument sounded right, they didn't know enough about property law to comment.

Another reason may be the counterargument that if we assume Trump has Congressional authorization to fund part of the wall (for example by reprogramming drug interdiction funds), and seizing land is necessary for building that wall, then by extension he's authorized to seize the land. But, it's far from clear whether that causal link holds water, and the question would likely be litigated.

Two things, however, are certain.

The first is that Trump's border wall is making strange bedfellows of human rights-loving liberals and property rights-loving conservatives. Private property rights are a bedrock of conservative politics, and many Republicans are in the squirmy position of choosing between this first principle and Trump's campaign promise. Several Republican members of Congress to come out against the wall, Will Hurd and Justin Amash among them, have done so on property rights grounds.

And the second: If Trump makes a unilateral land grab, landowners will tie him up in court for years. In fact, that is the most likely outcome of the wall saga. Without congressional authorization, Trump can't move quickly to build his wall. Instead, he'll get stuck in court until 2020, and then who knows what will