What if Kobe Bryant was White?

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
Suppose he had the same fame and marketing power. But he was White. Would his case get the same media attention?

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Originally posted by: calbear2000
Suppose he had the same fame and marketing power. But he was White. Would his case get the same media attention?

More

Imagine a white basketball player that good?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SViscusi

More

ROFL.

He'd be in Nascar, a country singer, or on Cops dressed in a beer stained undershirt. :)

I don't think race has anything to do with the attention being given to this case. His fame certainly is a factor though.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
It's not about race. It's about RAPE! It's about a famous athlete,married with children, using his fame and wealth to take unrightous dominion over a 19 year old nieve woman who begged him to stop the unwanted sex while he had his hands around her throat.
Anyone minimizing this is an ass. And that's what I think of this poster of this thread question. What the hell is wrong with you people? Do you think rape is some trivial thing to chat about over the water cooler? This bastard defiled a woman, and shamed his wife, his children, his fans, and his team. He is the lowest thing I have seen on news and it disgusts me that morons think this bastard is the victom and the girl is the villian, and that is this bastards defense. Try keeping up with the news, people.
rolleye.gif

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003

More

HAHAHAHA! Funny!

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
CO is one of the white-est states in the nation but alas he's nothing more than another celebrity accused of sexual assault. Now the various racists/religiosity (yeah I know probably not a word) are probably stoking this one:

1) Black man is an animal that cannot control his primal urges hence you should lock of your virginal daughters and give the wife a gun.

2) Low class miscegenating white girl going to the room of a black man (unaccompanied) and engaging in consensual kissing . . . clearly a woman of low moral character.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

More

Two words: Larry Bird

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Havlicek was a better athlete and arguably had comparable achievements to Bird as a Celtic. Maravich was better than Bird and Havlicek, IMHO.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Doesn't matter about his race...it's about being a CHEATER...ESPECIALLY when you have a career in a big sport.

And cheating in sports is one underhanded thing, but cheating on your own beautiful WIFE is UNFORGIVEABLE.

This is the lowest form of life, and he should be punished. Granted, only if he truly raped her, but he already is suffering consequences by all this media reporting. He deserves this.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Havlicek was a better athlete and arguably had comparable achievements to Bird as a Celtic. Maravich was better than Bird and Havlicek, IMHO.
True...I just always use Bird because I met him once....

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Mark Chmura was the starting tight end for the Green Bay Packers until he was accused of rape. The case got plenty of attention in the press, particularly in Wisconsin. He was booted from the team, however I recall he was eventually acquitted.

I'm sure Kobe's case will continue to get much more attention, but I believe that's because he is a much more famous athelete -- not because he is black.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003

Without a doubt.

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
Doesn't matter about his race...it's about being a CHEATER...ESPECIALLY when you have a career in a big sport.

And cheating in sports is one underhanded thing, but cheating on your own beautiful WIFE is UNFORGIVEABLE.

This is the lowest form of life, and he should be punished. Granted, only if he truly raped her, but he already is suffering consequences by all this media reporting. He deserves this.

i dont think its about cheating as much as its about RAPE.
i dont condone cheating on people but it is not something that i feel absolutly needs to stop the world over. it is a simple problem that it is within each person to choose. rape, on the other hand, is a HUGE problem that goes relativly unfettered by law, except that it is illegal.
i dont think that race really enters into it. if a white man did these things he would be held equally accountable. now, if he werent famous, he wouldnt get as much press as he does.

philly, i think you should keep in mind who was really, literally hurt in this case. it wasn't his beautiful wife.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: SilentZero

More

HAHAHAHA! Funny!

at one time jews dominated basketball, and people thought it was a racial thing too ;)

now they are doctors and lawyers:p

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
It's not about race. It's about RAPE! It's about a famous athlete,married with children, using his fame and wealth to take unrightous dominion over a 19 year old nieve woman who begged him to stop the unwanted sex while he had his hands around her throat.
Anyone minimizing this is an ass. And that's what I think of this poster of this thread question. What the hell is wrong with you people? Do you think rape is some trivial thing to chat about over the water cooler? This bastard defiled a woman, and shamed his wife, his children, his fans, and his team. He is the lowest thing I have seen on news and it disgusts me that morons think this bastard is the victom and the girl is the villian, and that is this bastards defense. Try keeping up with the news, people.
rolleye.gif

And your color is?

If he was white there wouldn't even have been any charges filed by the police.

It is nice to know that you are TripleShot the Omniscious... we will contact you whenever the courts decide they don't need a 12 member jury.

Do you know anything about this woman? ANYTHING? (Does celebrity chaser/twice failed attempted murderer/bragged about fvcking a justin timberlake look-alike/possible sexaholic while in college -- mean anything to you?

Where are all of Kobe's other victims?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What I want to know is why color or race or status or anything else should have this everyday news-worthless event plastered all over the news. As I said elsewhere it seems to me more about the fact that people are living inwardly empty lives they need to fill with scurrilous sh!t than anything else. Get real, live for yourself. Love. Put such garbage out of your mind. You are what you eat. Have a banana.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Macro2
Sounds like jail time for Kobe.

These guys will never learn.

Just seems like once people get famous, have money etc they of course should not put themselves into a situation where this could occur.

Make it a 4 some and video the evening.

Oh and Stop trumping the race card people.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I think there would be the same amount of attention (IF he had the same amount of endorsement deals). I think this is a case of a blurred line between the *wink* *wink* world of pro athletes getting bombarded by groupies, and sexual assault. I think he expected fvcking when she went up to his room (since this always happened when other women came up to his room), and she maybe expected only fooling around or something short of intercourse. I don't know, but its up to the courts. Most pro athletes think he is innocent because there are a ton of psycho woment out there waiting to have a pro's illegitimate baby, but i think it was a case of mixed signals leading to sexual assault.