What if any D&D games are available?

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
Title basically states it.

I'm looking for modern made D&D based game. I liked the old 90s D&D games and was hoping to find new versions to try out. I know I can get ported 90s but I'm wanting something more modern with nicer graphics.

I liked Shadowrun Returns, Battletech, and Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus that are modern. I also liked Ultima series starting at number 3

So what if any D&D turn based games are out there?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Mostly it is still the stuff from the 90's/early 20's and then "enhanced" editions that came out over the last 10 years... That said, Baldur's Gate III is heavily in the works (official release expected sometime next year, but early access available since Oct 2020 on Steam and others I believe). It is based on the latest 5.0 ruleset, with some modifications to make it possible to handle as a computer game (as well as balance, and bug fixes).

Reactions: Pohemi and Lil'John

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
modern .. no.
You could look at getting - if you havent played it yet - a modded version of Temple Of Elemental Evil, which is as close to P&P D&D as you can get.
otherwise, i don't know .. maybe try playing D&D ? https://www.dndbeyond.com/

Last edited:

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
Bummer. Is there anything D&Dish to consider?

D&Dish = skill based building in fantasy realm. Really looking for turned based.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, like I said, Baldur's Gate III is available and is modern. They are still adding features and tweaking things (as well as possibly removing some exploits of the system, but some people actually like them: like being able to beat the game solo as a level 1 in under 6 minutes if you do certain things just right). Things that they are still adding are some additional classes/subclasses, spells, and feats (that said modders are already up and running doing a lot of that).

I don't think we will see official support for a lot of the additional subclasses that are not in the player's handbook, but the modders have already done a decent job at adding the hexblade. I don't think we will see Twilight Cleric or Peace Cleric though (which would create the dreaded game breaking combo of being way too overpowered with way too much damage mitigation for the party that they will simply stomp over any encounter that is designed for their actual level range). I also don't think we will see some of the races such as Bugbear or Yuan-Ti Pureblood from the Monster's Manual or Monster's of the Multiverse or the newer racial bonus customization rules added in Tasha's Guide to Everything rulebook.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2. Excellent turn-based D&D style gaming (I say as someone who still plays tabletop RPG games on the regular). It's not based on the D&D rules, of course, but there's a reason the studio that put these games out are the ones doing Baldur's Gate 3.

Also, you mentioned Shadowrun Returns, did you play Shadowrun: Dragonfall? Better game by a lot, IMO, Shadowrun Returns feels more like the "proof of concept" that it basically was in comparison. I just started up Shadowrun: Hong Kong the other day.

Reactions: Pohemi and Lil'John

Lil'John

Dec 28, 2013
Divinity: Original Sin 1 & 2. Excellent turn-based D&D style gaming (I say as someone who still plays tabletop RPG games on the regular). It's not based on the D&D rules, of course, but there's a reason the studio that put these games out are the ones doing Baldur's Gate 3.

Also, you mentioned Shadowrun Returns, did you play Shadowrun: Dragonfall? Better game by a lot, IMO, Shadowrun Returns feels more like the "proof of concept" that it basically was in comparison. I just started up Shadowrun: Hong Kong the other day.

I did all three of the Shadowruns. I liked them all except for the matrix in Hong Kong... too much random "luck" that I never had roll my direction ;)

I haven't played any of the tabletop stuff in a long while(too anti-social any more) But I regularly pull Gen 1 AD&D stuff out of the storage box :eek:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Neverwinter Nights is the only series that comes to mind when someone wants D&D. There's others that have similar styles like the Divinity Original Sin series (which is an outstanding series by the way), but NWN is probably what you're looking for - though don't expect anything to be modern. However, given the cult following, I'm sure you can find plenty of mods to improve the graphics for the games so there's always that.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Isn't Pillars of Eternity supposed to be like DnD?
its more of a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale series.

a few years ago there was a fun little game called Tyranny which is also an isometric party based game with consequences to choices.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
when is BG3 going to be officially released? it's been in development for a long time now, it feels like. i was tempted to go in on early access, but i'd rather experience (and pay for) the full, complete game
Supposedly sometime in 2023 (according to the developers as of May 2022). Don't know if they are still on track, but I suspect they are. Don't know when in 2023, my guess would be either for the early summer (to make the summer gaming season), or October/November (to hit the Christmas sales). Given lack an official date still, I suspect the later is what they are aiming for at this time.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
You can also take a look at Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous both of them are based on the Pathfinder RPG ruleset, which was itself based on the 3rd edition Dungeons & Dragons ruleset (officially it was based on the D&D 3.5 Open Game License.)
I have not played Wrath yet, so can't give any recommendations, but I'm currently playing Kingmaker and it is pretty good. If you liked the old Gold Box games it will probably scratch that itch.

Reactions: nakedfrog

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Neverwinter Nights is the only series that comes to mind when someone wants D&D. There's others that have similar styles like the Divinity Original Sin series (which is an outstanding series by the way), but NWN is probably what you're looking for - though don't expect anything to be modern. However, given the cult following, I'm sure you can find plenty of mods to improve the graphics for the games so there's always that.
as far as i understand, NWN - both 1 and 2 - are terribly difficult to get to run properly.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
as far as i understand, NWN - both 1 and 2 - are terribly difficult to get to run properly.
It's been a while since I played NWN 2 but it didn't require anything extra, though I still use Windows 7 so it could just be more compatible with older OS. However, they are cult hits so I'm sure there's plenty of workaround listed if you run into issues.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
It's been a while since I played NWN 2 but it didn't require anything extra, though I still use Windows 7 so it could just be more compatible with older OS. However, they are cult hits so I'm sure there's plenty of workaround listed if you run into issues.
i played NWN 1 religiously. The official website had idk, MILLIONS of free, community created scenarios - i still remember the name of one, An Ancient Heart - An Ancient Heart | The Neverwinter Vault
that was vastly superior to anything Bioware ever wrote.

However, NWN 1 had issue with .. well, being an old software. So for instance, if you had release 1.73 (random number i made up just now) then some modules would not work because they required 1.75, and if you had 1.75 then modules meant for 1.73 would not work and you could not roll back. That kind of aggravation.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Little late, but I thought I would mention a few more.

I would second Pathfinder Kingmaker and Wrath of the Righteous. Turn based and should be fairly easy to get into if you are used to old DnD. But both include rather tedious kingdom management gameplay as well, but it can be turned down or turned off. After that it would be Enhanced Editions of Baldus Gate and Icewind Dale.

Another possibility would Dragon Age: Origins. Graphics are a bit dated, but it was made by Bioware back when they were still putting out good games. It was sort of a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate games...or Bioware's attempt to make a fantasy RPG outside of the DnD world. The other Dragon Age games probably wouldn't work for you.

Lastly there is Solasta: Crown of the Magister. Another DnD 5th edition game. Gameplay was pretty good, but I have a hard time getting into 5th edition. Other than that, I didn't care for the story at all, and the graphics were meh, but it does include a dungeon maker so maybe there are decent fan made modules out there (I haven't looked).