What if a Super PAC supported a Dem and a Repub in the race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vageetasjn

Jan 5, 2003
If a single political interest (eg Koch Bros) managed to nominate both the Democratic and Republican presidential nominees, then they'd have a guaranteed win. Is this possible?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
If a single political interest (eg Koch Bros) managed to nominate both the Democratic and Republican presidential nominees, then they'd have a guaranteed win. Is this possible?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probably not, on the grounds that no single super pac exists in a vacuum. As other super pacs would weight in with money to queer the deal.

As we can also look at a State like Wisconsin. As the voters of Wisconsin voted against the Governor Scott Walker recall movement in early 2012, and then voted for Obama in 11/2012.

The American voters are totally unpredictable, and if money is free speech, American voters just won't stay bought.

As the Koch brothers, just like Snidely Whiplash and Wile E. Coyote are left saying, curses, foiled again.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004

There are already, I believe, many moneyed interests that contribute heavily to both democratic and republican causes so that whoever wins, those interests are represented in the government, so on some level what you are describing basically already exists.....I guess its just a matter of degrees, ie, I don't think any one interest has directly chosen the candidate for both parties in any primary season. Besides, with the current primary shenanigans that doesn't sound like a surefire investment. But at the end of the day both parties will answer to many of the same interests a great deal of the time.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
There are already, I believe, many moneyed interests that contribute heavily to both democratic and republican causes so that whoever wins, those interests are represented in the government, so on some level what you are describing basically already exists

I believe that is common for example by financial firms.

On the other side you have the public unions in Wisconsin who donated all of their money to the Democrats and then threw a fit when the Republicans set out to crush them.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Not sure about Super PAC's but I know that Goldman always hedges their bets and is a top contributor to both candidates in every Presidential election these days, so this would not surprise me. If this is not happening it is only because the Super Pac's are fiercely partisan. Usually donators try to hedge their bets so they can be sure they have the favor of any policy maker that gets elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.