What heppened to the Antec Earthwatts EA-430?

ComputerWizKid

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
At Newegg it says Deactivated Item just bought one on the 1ST of December for my early holiday (No not Christmas the other one which I don't know to spell and not Kwanzaa either) I have as I got it on the first day of my holiday (Eight days rule!) any way did Antec Discontinue it? or did Newegg just stop carrying it? This makes me a little nervous to open it and use it (I know it will probably work but why did they stop making it?) was there a design flaw or was it because they came out with the EA-430D (Mine says EA-430D on the box but is not the "New" EA-430D the one that is painted green and costs more and comes without a power cord
and also I hope I will still get my $15 rebate check in the mail if I don't I will be mad :mad:
Thanks and please help me as I do need a new PSU (For one of my computers I will probably stick this in my main Computer (In Sig) and put the one from that comp in my HTPC the one that need a new PSU as it will not power up any more and it is the PSU as I tested it with another known good unit)

So please un-nerve me as I am thinking of sending it back now but I really need a PSU now and it was a present so I somewhat have a say as the gift-er knows that I know alot about anything computer and she wants me to have what is best for it.

Cliffs: (For all that don't want to read the whole post)
1. Deactivated item (Which usually means it was discontinued)
2. Was a present
3. Should I open and use it or send it back?
4. Was it discontinued because they came out with a new version of it?
5. Thanks

Lunyone

Oct 8, 2007
I think that maybe Antec is changing the PSU design a bit. I've been very happy with the 3 Antec PSU's that I have. 2 of them needed RMA'ing close to the warranty period (even was bought used through ebay) and I was plesantly surprised with the friendly and helpful Antec RMA staff. I think your should be just fine. I RMA'd a 3 yr old PSU and they just sent me a refurbed unit (the same one), so I wouldn't worry that Antec isn't going to support it.

ComputerWizKid

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
Thanks and I know that Antec is very good with the RMA stuff as my TP-II 430 failed two weeks after the warranty period and they still let me RMA it and they sent me a refurbed True Power Trio 430

Motorheader

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
A couple of weeks ago I found at a local B&M store the same PSU. There were several on the shelf and over a pound difference in weight between 2 of them - there was a scale nearby.:) Same box and packaging as far as I could tell. I went with the heavier one.

Send it back. Either the Ed Begley or Al Gore model coming out.:D

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
New "EarthWatts Green"

When they refresh models again in a year it will be called "EarthWatts Green Extra Carbon Credits No Global Warming." :rolleyes:

As if "EarthWatts" wasn't a "green" enough name.

Edit: WTH? No power cord included? Even the cheap junk $15 power supplies include a power cord. What gives? Are they targeting the upgrade market only (people that would already have a power cord), and ignoring the new-build market? Or did they cut a secret deal with Monoprice, so that they would get more power cord sales (picked up some 14GA (15A!) power cords for like $1.50 ea or something cheap at MP recently.)

Or is this more for B&M stores, now they'll be charging $30 for a power cord, just like buying a printer, and having to buy a USB cord.

(Always thought it was pointless for printers that include ethernet and wireless to skip on including the USB cord. Might as well, because the user could just go ahead and ignore the USB cord if they had to purchase it.)

Last edited:

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
(picked up some 14GA (15A!) power cords for like $1.50 ea or something cheap at MP recently.)

Holy carpfish! That's some beefy cables. Now I have to go look 'em up at MP. Anyways, don't think you're missing much with the included cables because more often than not the included ones these days are thin cables that are not even 6' long.

Years ago at my computer shop we sold some printers for really cheap. These were "Apollo" branded units which used HP cartridges. We basically got them for around the cost of the cartridge themselves, so we pulled out the cartridges and sold them separately, and priced the printers something crazy cheap, I think $9.99 or $19.99, or something like that. Seriously cheap! This was years ago when the bargain basement printers were $99. We basically sold out of them really quick, even though we had a "print cartridge not included" sign on them.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Dude... it doesn't say that there is no power cord included.... now it does indicated that there is no power cored included on the otherhand.... o_O

Don't know what you're looking at, but none of the Antec EA Green power supplies come with a power cord.

EA Green 380W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371033
From description: Antec EarthWatts Green (No power cord included) EA-380D.....

EA Green 430W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371034
From description: Antec EarthWatts Green (No power cord included) EA-430D

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Don't know what you're looking at, but none of the Antec EA Green power supplies come with a power cord.

EA Green 380W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371033
From description: Antec EarthWatts Green (No power cord included) EA-380D.....

EA Green 430W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371034
From description: Antec EarthWatts Green (No power cord included) EA-430D

He was alluding to the fact that they spelled "cord" as "cored" on the product description of the EA-430D

ComputerWizKid

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
HI I know this is an old thread but I did put the Power Supply to use and it works fine and it actually draws alot less power from the wall receptacle then my previous POS TPII-430. Although I don't know how accurate the readings are from my UPS monitoring software I assume more accurate then a Kill-A-Watt though
The total watts drawn through the wall receptacle are 90-125Watts Depends upon how hard the computer is working

I know the EA-430 the green painted one comes without a power cord (How earth friendly is paint though!)
I guess Antec is targeting the Computer Geek or the upgrade market only
As I think any Computer Geek will have an extra power cord and a bunch of other bits and pieces on hand (I know I do :D)

Last edited: