Discussion What has happened to Anandtech?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Plus, taking performance enhancing drugs is something that is a problem in both pro-sports and pro-esports :p

To be honest the concept of e-sports has grown on me. Watching fucking koreans play stuff like Starcraft is just.... fucking amazing. Though to be honest I don't think I would ever care to watch something like an FPS.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Why in Hell would anyone want to watch someone else playing? I play games!
idk man, i actually get this.
Back in my days we would sit in front of the ol' 386 and play Monkey Island and whatnot, and there would be 3-4 of us, and we would hotseat when someone couldn't get through a screen or level or puzzle, and that's kind of the same. I guess kids instinctively miss being in a social situation and to them watching Pewdiepie play is like having an older brother.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
To be honest the concept of e-sports has grown on me.

Same...I thought it was real dumb when it first became a thing. But for some of those top players:

1. You're playing in front of a live audience
2. You're playing in front of millions of people worldwide
3. Millions of dollars in prizes are on the line
4. The games do require skill & talent

I mean, poker is a sport that is also a game, and people watch that all the time. I played Counter-strike religiously as a teenager & recently tried playing it again for a few hours & just got absolutely clobbered by people who have more experience & better reflexes than I do, hahaha. Plus, if you really boil down most sports...you're chasing a ball around. Maybe you're hitting it with a stick (golf & baseball) or kicking it (soccer) or throwing it around (football). In a video game, maybe you're running around shooting people, or playing some sort of group or turn-based game, but the idea is more or less the same...you're just using your brain & fingers more than the rest of your body like in other sports.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I mean...compare playing a competitive eSport in front of a huge audience to say, watching golf on TV, haha.
watching golf is not a sport. People watch poker matches too, is poker a sport?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
is poker a sport?
it's a game.

After using my enormous brain to do some really high-level thinking, i have come to the realization that Chess is not a sport, while eSports actually *is* a sport.

Aks me why and i will be glad to explain.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
it's a game.

After using my enormous brain to do some really high-level thinking, i have come to the realization that Chess is not a sport, while eSports actually *is* a sport.

Aks me why and i will be glad to explain.
I'll keep that feather in my hat. I have no idea what eSports is. Chess I get. We won the city championship when I was in high school.

Feb 4, 2009
I’m going to go there.....

typically the stuff I see on fs/ft are over priced, sometimes way over priced.
im not interested in buying a 4 year old video card that has been used for mining for $100 off its new cost
I‘m not interested in a pentium extreme processor and memory for it when the cost of that processor & memory (no motherboard) exceed the cost of any mid rang Ryzen system
I’m not interested in a 8TB used NAS that is selling for $20 more than a new unit

like any market stuff on fs/ft that is priced accordingly sells fast.

quoting myself because....why not.

to all if you were shopping for a new system and the costs were nearly the same between these two choices which would you choose? One system is 5 years old the other is new.

when I say nearly identical I mean the newer system would likely end up either $50 less or have twice the amount of ram or be $40 more with a better motherboard and even better cpu.

Edit: fs/ft system includes a video card, which would likely make the new system cost around $120-$150 more than old system.

Last edited:

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
I’m going to go there.....

typically the stuff I see on fs/ft are over priced, sometimes way over priced.
im not interested in buying a 4 year old video card that has been used for mining for $100 off its new cost
I‘m not interested in a pentium extreme processor and memory for it when the cost of that processor & memory (no motherboard) exceed the cost of any mid rang Ryzen system
I’m not interested in a 8TB used NAS that is selling for $20 more than a new unit

like any market stuff on fs/ft that is priced accordingly sells fast.
Very interesting responses here. If y'all want, you can contact me about my for sale thread, and tell me how much you would like me to charge. You would be doing me a favor. Thank you.

Feb 4, 2009
Very interesting responses here. If y'all want, you can contact me about my for sale thread, and tell me how much you would like me to charge. You would be doing me a favor. Thank you.

Actually I was coming back to correct, assumed price includes a video card which new would not.
Not your listing though, I have no idea which one is yours.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I just bumped it to first in line. Thanks again
Include more info - Price include shipping? If so lower 48 or what? Non-smoking home? OBO? no low ball offers? Link to your Heat? What payment methods do you take?

They all help you move your stuff. But as noted, price it the number one factor. If you are pricing it based on what the Ferengi on Ebay and used marketplaces charge, you done goofed. When I sell stuff, I do not consider what I paid for it. I got my use out of it already, so I price with that idea in mind. If you bought it on Black Friday or something and now you are selling it for NIB for that price or higher to recoup shipping, that is a different story. NIB for 10 percent or better discount v. what is going for at the moment is still a good deal imo.

The most confusing part is that this is ATOT baller land, and they act like they are hard up for cash when they sell the old stuff. WTF m8? Ballers don't sweat things like that, they shoot dollar bills out of a money gun at strippers. Remember that when you sell your stuff, and stop trying to get Ebay money without all the fees, you cheap bastages.

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Include more info - Price include shipping? If so lower 48 or what? Non-smoking home? OBO? no low ball offers? Link to your Heat? What payment methods do you take?

They all help you move your stuff. But as noted, price it the number one factor. If you are pricing it based on what the Ferengi on Ebay and used marketplaces charge, you done goofed. When I sell stuff, I do not consider what I paid for it. I got my use out of it already, so I price with that idea in mind. If you bought it on Black Friday or something and now you are selling it for NIB for that price or higher to recoup shipping, that is a different story. NIB for 10 percent or better discount v. what is going for at the moment is still a good deal imo.

The most confusing part is that this is ATOT baller land, and they act like they are hard up for cash when they sell the old stuff. WTF m8? Ballers don't sweat things like that, they shoot dollar bills out of a money gun at strippers. Remember that when you sell your stuff, and stop trying to get Ebay money without all the fees, you cheap bastages.
Excellent! Thanks for the info. I have made changes to the thread.

Feb 4, 2009

This and I want to add we all have emotional attachments to our “stuff” our perceived value is higher than it should be. Do your best to remove feelings of “I liked this machine” always ask yourself is having something that I perceive the value as $100 sitting in my closet make me happy or does having $40 in my pocket make me happy. Important thing to accept and know because that is a personal question.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Why in Hell would anyone want to watch someone else playing? I play games!
I watch some gameplay (usually clips from streams I think) on YouTube, and occassionally will tune into Twitch. I'm kinda obsessed with Escape From Tarkov and while I play maybe a couple hours a week, I prefer to watch someone else (who's good) play because I'm such shit at it. It's just entertaining for me. Playing the game isn't quite as fun because I'm crap at it. I realize that with more practice I'd be better, but that's a long road to go with this game. Plus watching people who are good can help you learn the game, especially since a portion of the videos I watch are narrated in a "here's what's going on, here's what some ideal decisions would be, etc" fashion.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I watch some gameplay (usually clips from streams I think) on YouTube, and occassionally will tune into Twitch. I'm kinda obsessed with Escape From Tarkov and while I play maybe a couple hours a week, I prefer to watch someone else (who's good) play because I'm such shit at it. It's just entertaining for me. Playing the game isn't quite as fun because I'm crap at it. I realize that with more practice I'd be better, but that's a long road to go with this game. Plus watching people who are good can help you learn the game, especially since a portion of the videos I watch are narrated in a "here's what's going on, here's what some ideal decisions would be, etc" fashion.
The point being it is NOT a sport...regardless of who is willing to sponsor people!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Precisely, it is no different than why people watch sports ball. You may play that particular sports ball, but it does not stop you from watching others do it. It is some seriously compartmentalized thinking to separate "I play games, not watch them!" from "I play tennis, and watch all the Opens on TV/net/whatev!" Watching better players of any discipline can be both educational and entertaining.

Reactions: clamum

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The point being it is NOT a sport...regardless of who is willing to sponsor people!
We are both way offtopic at this point. And, you are technically correct; the best kind of correct. But you are debating a silly semantic point. Sport, game, it makes no difference, if the viewers consume it for similar reasons.

Nov 8, 2012
I get the "sports are active and esports isn't nener nener" argument - but at a certain point you just kinda gotta let it go.

At this point hasn't sports pretty much been an umbrella for shit like golf, bowling, horseshoes, and other random shit? Isn't stuff like Poker also considered a sport? Last I checked they played that on ESPN

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I mean...compare playing a competitive eSport in front of a huge audience to say, watching golf on TV, haha.

the act of playing golf, much like driving a NASCAR, are also not sports, so I wouldn't call gaming a sport. Making money doing a thing isn't the only qualifier for that thing being a sport.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I get the "sports are active and esports isn't nener nener" argument - but at a certain point you just kinda gotta let it go.

At this point hasn't sports pretty much been an umbrella for shit like golf, bowling, horseshoes, and other random shit? Isn't stuff like Poker also considered a sport? Last I checked they played that on ESPN

ESPN is like the History Channel, or the Food Network, or the Discovery channel now. ...or MTV. None of them really do those things anymore.

....OK, ESPN still has rights and does broadcast sports, at least, but they also have a lot of filler.