what has been your experience like after the career fair

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
I attended the career fair and handed out some resumes so that I can get a summer internship

do the the employers usually contact you?
through the school's career resource website?
how long until I hear from some of these companies?
They accept resumes until mid February

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Employers contact you sometimes... hopefully you picked up the contact information of the interviewer? They usually contact you with the contact information on the resume... The response time depends on the companies, some contacted me 8 months after I met with them o_O, others within a week. Others I had to contact...

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
In my experience, the best internships came from companies that visited the campus at other times than during the career fair. The department secretaries often know dates when companies are visiting that are poorly advertised.

I noticed that particular dept. heads or profs had a working relationship with various company's HR departments and would arrange visits that weren't widely publicized either because the company reps time was limited or the prof/dept head wanted to pick the people who interviewed.

In either case, a little politeness/coffee/chocolate worked wonders for finding out dates and times from the secretaries. I landed two well paid internships that way.

longhornlump

Jun 26, 2006
I went to a large university (Univ. of Texas at Austin) and while I was at school the career fairs and intern expos just meant that recruiting season was in session and the fairs/expos were just another opprotunity to meet/suck up to the recruiters. All interviews arrangments were handled through the career services website which stored all our information and resume. Any job/internship you wanted you dropped your resume for and the companies would than go and select the people they wanted.

It was a good if you made an impression on the recruiters at the fair/expo since they may remember you come interview time but it was not make or break. I found that company info sessions were more important since that provide me the opprotunity to learn more about the company while eating free food and getting prizes. That and more brown nosing time. :)