What happens when you hit a deer going 95 mph?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001
What if you hit a deer with one of this? How about if you hit a Suburban with it, how about Geo Metro? ;)

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
My parents usually hit two or three a year, I have had a couple of close calls myself. We have 200 - 300 deer heards around our house at certain times of the year so its not that uncommon. Anyway they usually fly to the side and die on impact $1000 - $3500 in damage. My dad did hit one in a station wagon going 55 or 60 and all it did was break a head light. I guess the front just popped back out. It was just a fawn though, but it was really funny cause it ladned about 50 feet away from the road.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
how the heck did they get that pic?

anyways, i hit a dog on the freeway. it fell off a truck a couple cars in front so i probably slowed to 45 or so, but my car still jumped a foot when i hit what was left of it.

had bits of flesh on the mud guards. twisted sh*t.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Rallispec
first, you hit the dear.. it dies on impact

at that speed, the mass of the deer isnt enough to stop the car, instead the car gets knocked of control and swerves off the road.

also, upon impact, the force of the dear hitting pushes the nose of the car down, hurling the dead dear onto the hood and through the front windsheild.

with a deer hoove smashed through your skull and an antler through your chest, the impalla flies off the side of the road leaving a trail of bload spewing out the windows onto the asphalt.

your car crashes into a near tree, thrusting your body forward at increadible speeds, the seatbelt rips your apart and the top half of yoru torso flies out the windshield.

so there you lay, your bloody corpse out on the grass, head smashed open from hitting the tree with a deer hoove still thrust through your cranium, while an your lower torswer is still wearing antlers in a now bload soaked front seat of a battered chevey impalla.

pics?
You forgot the burst into flames part.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
actually...i hit a deer early monday morning in my stanza and nothing has happened to my stanza (that i know of) so far. i was doing like 120 km/hour and it was dark and i didnt see it until the last second.... it just went straight under the car.

it was a small deer btw.

i cried so much, i feel so terrible.

*kat. <-- :(

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Last sat. night i was driving home in the right lane, doing 65 in a 70. A jackass in a new Yukon passed me doing about 80 or so and then cuts in front of me. I shrug it off and next thing i see is brake lights about 1/8 mile ahead. I drive past and see blood EVERYWHERE. He hit a raccoon. He had pulled off the road and i checked my rear view mirror He only had th eleft sides lights left. I'm pretty sure he destroyed the front of his SUV. I smiled, vengenous is sweet :)

Now, if you had
this i'm sure you would do fine :D

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
I've actually hit a deer going about 60-70 mph (actually, I didn't hit the deer, my folks did, but I was in the car at the time). It was kind of ironic because we hit it with a rental car that we had just checked out about a half hour before. I don't know how much of a difference it makes going 70mph vs. 95 mph, but what happens at 70mph, is that the deer jumps in front of your car, hits the top part of the front grill/bottom part of the hood and then gets bounced to the windshield and slides right off the top. We noticed that the deer was still alive (it was thrashing around), although not for long. Anyway, when we went to...uh...return the rental car and get a new one, I had a good look at the damage. Basically the only damage to the car was that front grill/hood where the initial impact took place. It's probably the equivalent of traveling 10mph and hitting a wall. There were bits of fur and a little bit of blood stuck to various parts where the deer hit. But other than that, there was no damage. I think because most cars are designed to be aerodynamic, the deer just tends to slide off the car after the initial hit.

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
BTW, for anyone considering buying those deer "noise makers" that attach onto the sides of your car (I guess they make ultra high or ultra low frequency noise which is supposed to deter deer from coming near your car when driving), they don't work. Either that, or the installation guys put them on backward because deer still seem very much attracted to our vehicle.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Deer accidents cause major damage. My grandfather TOTALED his '78 GMC pickup in a 45 MPH collision with an adult deer. Being a consumate redneck, he asked the highway patrol if he could keep the deer and they agreed. It was a 8 point buck, so he had the head mounted on his wall ;)

Anyway, an adult dear weighs a good 300-500 lbs, so it'll to some major damage.

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
a better question....why the heck were you going 95 mph!!??

but, yes, so have I, but not for months.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Anyway, an adult dear weighs a good 300-500 lbs, so it'll to some major damage

far more than that. faaaaaar more. they can do so much damage it's insane......