What happened to the death penalty in treason cases?

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
It seems as if China is working overtime to spy on the USA: CNN Article.

Why doesn't anyone get outraged by this? Why not accuse all of them of treason and line them in front of a firing squad?

(Obviously after they have been found guilty by jury, etc.)

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I think we're jumping the gun here.

Let them have their trials first.

If they are found guilty, then we can bring out the firing squad.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster

I said as much in my OP :p

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

News report on the radio said the Boeing guy had been passing stuff to the Chinese for 20 years. Hang 'em high!

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Because treason is extremely hard to prove.

Because our Founding Fathers were themselves traitors they made treason hard to prove.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Screw hanging them or shooting them. Load his ass on a C-5A and kick him out the back door at 10,000 feet without a parachute.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Maybe we should cite the case of the Pollards who spied for Israel. The point being, its just how the spy game is played. All sides do it and there are agents, double agents, triple agents, and only a few get caught. When you catch them, you stop the bleeding, what good does the death penalty do? Later on you can trade them for one of our own someone else caught.

And our constitution applies. They get a public trial and the right to air very embarrassing evidence on how morally bankrupt all sides are.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
You know, ever since I've decided the death penalty sucks in all cases, I've been totally and utterly comfortable with my decision and it becomes stronger all the time. I see no point in killing this guy. It serves no purpose. He knows he was a naughty boy, stick him in a cell until 2080 if you need to.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Remember wen ho lee? I think the gov't jumps the gun at 'treason' a bit.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Maybe we should stop sleeping with China.

Yeah, there's a thought. We are the source of this spying. The west is their economic ticket.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If they like China so much why done we send them there permanently. First lets give them a labatomy and cut their tongue out so they dont tell no more of our secrets.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
Execution is barbaric.

So is treason.

Black and white much? Treason is debatable. We all spy on each other. China is an economic ally and to execute a spy from that country would result in bad will. Plus, I personally believe man does not deserve the right to end another man's life. DNA and other methods of exoneration have released hundreds of death-sentenced inmates, so that should be testament to our inefficient and too absolute judicial system.

Having the nation pay to incarcerate these people for life, would also be barbaric.

Guess those liberal save-the-terrorist-ideals go right out the window when it comes to treason? How arbitrary.

What's truly barbaric is the amount of NON-VIOLENT offenders we have in prison. A quarter of all inmates are drug-related felons, not violent ones.

Complete utter absurdity.