Question What happened to Real Time Strategy Games?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I am talking about the likes of Command and Conquer 3 and the older ones, Starcraft, Warcraft, Company of Heroes and Dawn of War.

There's just nothing new coming out! They released Dawn of War III but that was a complete flop.

By the way, I don't consider the likes of Sins of Solar Empire, Supreme Commander and the other similar titles to be "good" strategy games. They do away with a good story-line and mission progression in favor of multi-player. I am much more interested ina solo experience. I also do not like the trend toward stylized/simplified graphics and indie stuff. 8-Bit Armies? Garbage IMO. Running with Rifles? No way. Same goes for "Into the Breach" and Planetary Annihilation. I want AAA quality, and I want a strong bias toward single-player campaign.

Aside from Warcraft 3 remastered coming out (not anytime soon) I just don't see anything else on the horizon. The only exception I can think of is the Wargame series. It's somewhat way too deep, involved and complicated, but still quite good.

Is it that no one cares for strategy games anymore?

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Well knowing where it's not doesn't help me. It's available on Amazon for a measly $323 or used for $12, so I'm not sure what's going on with that game.
That high prices are likely just 3rd party selling a collector's version or something. You can also find copies on e-bay for the physical box.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
That high prices are likely just 3rd party selling a collector's version or something. You can also find copies on e-bay for the physical box.

The reason it is not for sale outside of 3rd parties (used) is licensing issues. EA refused to renew their license at the increased cost they negotiated upon getting the license initially. Thankfully I still have my copies of Battle For Middle Earth 1 & 2.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The reason it is not for sale outside of 3rd parties (used) is licensing issues. EA refused to renew their license at the increased cost they negotiated upon getting the license initially. Thankfully I still have my copies of Battle For Middle Earth 1 & 2.

Figures. Funny how license renewal was required for them to continue selling copies of an old game! What kind of lame licensing agreement did they sign with the Tolkien estate?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
What do you mean 'why aren't they similar'? Do you want to continually play the same exact game over and over but with different sprites?

I think he's just trying to plug a game through a lame attempt at viral marketing. REDACTED BY USER (not gonna contribute to viral marketing by mentioning the product)? Really?

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Right, but not because of a desire to lock the game to Origin. Otherwise EA would have done that with DA:O. Battle for Middle Earth isn't even on Origin:

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/search?searchString=Battle%20for%20Middle%20Earth

I'm sure it got pulled for licensing reasons or . . . something.

yeah, it mentioned in the wiki that the servers went offline in 2010 because the LoTR license expired. Probably why it is no longer sold.

I have a hard copy of this, I think...or maybe I gave it to my nephew. Funny, neither of us have a CD/DVD ROM to play these games now. :D

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I just picked up Sacrifice on GOG for $10. I forgot how good that game was back in the day. Sadly, it was overlooked as well. Took me a while to get it to work on my stytem, but I did. With the wide-screen patch the game looks and feels exactly how I remember it. I wish a Sacrifice 2 was in the works.