What Happened In Yosemite?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Thanks, I had missed that. Can't believe they wouldn't have refilled at the river. Should've had filtration, but if I was running low I'd take my chances without filtering. That seems like a crazy hike to start at 8 am on a day with temperatures predicted over 100F. I assume they must have had some experience to have even found/picked that trail but obviously not enough to not make bad decisions.

ETA: Another story: https://www.latimes.com/california/...ed-from-heat-illness-and-probable-dehydration

Pretty sad overall.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
That seems like a crazy hike to start at 8 am on a day with temperatures predicted over 100F.
I can't think of the last time that I had the luxury of starting a long hike that late. Either the parking lots are too full after 5 or 6 AM, the sun is too brutal in the afternoon, there are lighting storms in the afternoon, or the snow gets too soft and you posthole with every step in the afternoon (depending on the season of course). I do agree that it was crazy to start a hike that late.

Plus, they miss the fun of hiking with headlamps (and seeing all the spider eyes everywhere bouncing light back at you from the ground). They miss the beauty of the sunrise. They miss the best photos of the day in the golden light just after sunrise.

Reactions: Zorba

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
*Laughs in Florida*

Doesn't matter what the heat index hits here, Imma do it. CamelBak and lifeStraw are my homies too.
That's what I hated about Florida. You had to love heat. I remember looking from my air conditioned apartment patio slider, seeing the bronze people playing tennis at noon. All the time thinking to myself, Mad dogs and Englishmen come out in the noon day sun. I think I went to the Ft. Lauderdale beach twice. I had a bathtub at home where I could run cooler water to lay in. Hate the place. Nobody is from there.

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That's what I hated about Florida. You had to love heat. I remember looking from my air conditioned apartment patio slider, seeing the bronze people playing tennis at noon. All the time thinking to myself, Mad dogs and Englishmen come out in the noon day sun. I think I went to the Ft. Lauderdale beach twice. I had a bathtub at home where I could run cooler water to lay in. Hate the place. Nobody is from there.
The saying goes - You have come so far south, you are back up north again.

I grew up here, so did not have to attempt to acclimate to the heat and humidity. When someone complains about the heat to me -

First-Time-meme-template-of-The-Ballad-of-Buster-Scruggs.jpg

Nov 17, 2019

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Shedding some light, they apparently tried to seek help.

'Can you help us': Desperate text, calls didn't go through before California family was found dead on hike

www.nbcnews.com.ico
NBC News|47 minutes ago
A California family who died from heat and dehydration during a hike in a remote area of the Sierra National Forest desperately tried to call for help but their calls did not go through because of poor cellular service, authorities said.

What's somewhat intriguing is how did the FBI get into the phone? A solid majority of Bay Area tech workers use iPhones, which are designed to resist forensic analysis. Most people probably use Face ID now, unless it happened to be an older phone with Touch ID.

Infamously, the NSO Group's Pegasus was used to spy on phones worldwide, but I don't know if you can even deploy it after the fact.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Shedding some light, they apparently tried to seek help.

'Can you help us': Desperate text, calls didn't go through before California family was found dead on hike

www.nbcnews.com.ico
NBC News|47 minutes ago
A California family who died from heat and dehydration during a hike in a remote area of the Sierra National Forest desperately tried to call for help but their calls did not go through because of poor cellular service, authorities said.

I stay in a hotel near there when I go to Yosemite, there is absolutely no cell reception.

Unfortunately hiking with insufficient water is extremely common. Most people are lucky enough to get away with it, which only makes them think they made a good decision.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I stay in a hotel near there when I go to Yosemite, there is absolutely no cell reception.

Unfortunately hiking with insufficient water is extremely common. Most people are lucky enough to get away with it, which only makes them think they made a good decision.
I used to do a lot of solo day hikes in pretty remote areas and used to take a PLB just in case. Bad things happen.

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Anybody thinking a couple of towers might be going up?
No. People die in and around Yosemite every year, I think the place claim an average of 13 a years. The most dangerous spot Emerald Pool that averages multiple people a year still has no hand rails. The forest is not a six flags with simulated danger, it gives you the real thing.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What's somewhat intriguing is how did the FBI get into the phone? A solid majority of Bay Area tech workers use iPhones, which are designed to resist forensic analysis. Most people probably use Face ID now, unless it happened to be an older phone with Touch ID.

Infamously, the NSO Group's Pegasus was used to spy on phones worldwide, but I don't know if you can even deploy it after the fact.

I don't use iPhones. If some family member was set up for account recovery, could that be used to unlock the phone?

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005

When things go sideways most people don't realize how bad things can get. If you asked which mountain has killed more people, Mt Everest or Mt Washington in NH, most people would say Everest and they'd be wrong. I remember 30 years ago when I was into rock and ice climbing someone had actually setup a website that basically said: "Why spend a bundle of $$ to die on Everest when you can die on Washington for free?"

Reactions: Zorba and hal2kilo

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I don't use iPhones. If some family member was set up for account recovery, could that be used to unlock the phone?
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that feature before you brought it up. Looks like it's new for iOS 15.

From what I could understand, account recovery is so that someone authorized can get back into your Apple ID. It's not a way to gain access to a locked device itself. Apple says this would allow you to get "all of your data" so maybe that could open up SMS to law enforcement.