What Gaming Headset do you Use & Recommend

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
I am not in the audiophile class at all. I just want a set of comfortable headset for gaming. I looked at the clouds since most people own them. Then I looked at the Sennheiser Game One, good sound, good mic open back so my ears would not sweat, and with Velour ear cups I though ok this is it. Them people talked about the Sennheiser GSP 300. But its closed back and pleather(or whatever its called) hot and with glasses I don't think this would be good. Weight I didn't understand why all the reviews talked about the comfort when they are 2x the weight of the Game One, 603g compared to 300g. Yep a set of BeyerDynamic DT 990 with a good mic would be great but at over $250 for the pair a little much.
I am sooooo damn confused.

ps....I am using a creative sound blaster card

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Philips Fidelio X2 are very good phones with a wide soundstage and can often be had for around $200. You can also use them decently without an amp. Add on a moda mic and you're set.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
After all these suggestions, I'm curious to know what the OP eventually chose and how he/she likes their purchase. I forgot I had an old Corsair 5.1 headset in my closet that I got for free a while back and gave that a try and while the sound is pretty good, the ear pieces were a lot more rigid than my current headset which hurt my ears after about an hour.

I think the toughest part about buying a headset online if you don't have the chance to try it on at a store somewhere is finding out how it will fit and feel after a few hours.

This thread was pretty old and dead in February. Don't know how it go re-activated over the weekend.

I ended up buying the SteelSeries Arctis 7. I really like them. Wireless and sound quality is very good. The days of me gaming for 6 hours a day are long gone. I love the wireless feature - I find myself occasionally wearing them while doing random chores around the house. The chat button to tweak volume between game/voice chat is awesome.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I am not in the audiophile class at all. I just want a set of comfortable headset for gaming. I looked at the clouds since most people own them. Then I looked at the Sennheiser Game One, good sound, good mic open back so my ears would not sweat, and with Velour ear cups I though ok this is it. Them people talked about the Sennheiser GSP 300. But its closed back and pleather(or whatever its called) hot and with glasses I don't think this would be good. Weight I didn't understand why all the reviews talked about the comfort when they are 2x the weight of the Game One, 603g compared to 300g. Yep a set of BeyerDynamic DT 990 with a good mic would be great but at over $250 for the pair a little much.
I am sooooo damn confused.

ps....I am using a creative sound blaster card
For what it's worth, my SteelSeries Siberia headset is much, much more comfortable than the Logitech G35. In fact, they are more comfortable than any other headset I've ever worn. Going back and forth I can't tell any sound difference between the two - if anything, the Siberia sounds better. I used to be able to tell a difference in sound quality and I doubt the Siberia has gotten better, so either the Logitech has deteriorated (which given that it died twice in the first year wouldn't surprise me) or more likely, the Windows 10 update that killed the 7.1 also hurt its sound quality. Maybe the extra channels gave it more full sound. My other headsets have either worse sound quality or less comfort or both.

Thanks for the update, Hondaf17.

Andy T

Jul 24, 2008
I would also go so far as to say DO NOT buy any Logitech headsets because their latest software restricts maximum volume. I tried both G930 and G630? (older, wired model). With the latest LGS installed, the max volume both in Windows and in games was restricted. As soon as I uninstalled it, voila! I could crank the volume much higher. This is not the first time Logitech breaks its hardware due to shoddy drivers. I still use their keyboard and mice, but for headphones, I have been happily using Arctis 7. I found that I prefer it over Syberia because it didn't squeeze my head so much.