What game(s) that will never die?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Age of Empires II will live on forever. Still play it.

Team Fortress 2 will likely live on as well. I still play that game too (and I got it during the beta).

FreshBross

Jul 30, 2018
When it comes to oldschool, there's lots of re-playable classic gems, some forgotten with the death of DOS and inability to properly run on a virtual instance.

But for what is more accessible and not console, CS:GO is still and will forever be a king in FPS. Battlefield 1942 was the ultimate version of BF. Quake is honorable mention, but with champions now it's got new life.

I did not know there was a really active Neverwinter Nights modding community, I might have to check that out. RPG wise, it's really a question of taste, lots of classics to spend hours on if one is so lucky to have the time.

Going from newer to olderish (probably not perfect chronologically:

Minecraft

Half Life 2

Roller Coaster Tycoon 2

The Sims

Diablo I + II

Dungeon Keeper (gosh I wish they had made a real sequel instead of a mobile junk game)

Simcity 2000

Doom

The Oregon Trail

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I know a guy who still has his original game of Daggerfall on an old PC and still goes back to it every so often to soldier on. He started sometime in the late 90's.

He'll keep that game alive forever.

Reactions: OCNewbie

uRnOdAiSy

Aug 13, 2018
For MOHAA fans you need to hook up with the "Medal of Honor Allied Assault Revival Group" on FB. They are going to start having weekly MOHAA nights on a dedicated server on the East Coast USA. Should be devoid of the loser script kiddies as it is drawing players from the group only.

sward

Staff member
Sep 3, 2019
I'm convinced folks with still be playing EVE Online and Vanilla Runescape in 20 years :)

Reactions: whm1974

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I'm convinced folks with still be playing EVE Online and Vanilla Runescape in 20 years :)

I wonder, does classic Runescape have any new players or is it just a bunch of old players that are still addicted? There are still people playing MUDs but I don't think many new players ever join. It is slowly dying as the player base gets too old.
Maybe that will be the ultimate fate of some of these games, a hangout for retirees where the slow decline of the player base pretty much equals the decline in the health of the players.

sward

Staff member
Sep 3, 2019
Weirdly I think classic runescape has an influx of new users, at least in the UK, Jagex do a really good job with their community stuff for it...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I wonder, does classic Runescape have any new players or is it just a bunch of old players that are still addicted? There are still people playing MUDs but I don't think many new players ever join. It is slowly dying as the player base gets too old.
Maybe that will be the ultimate fate of some of these games, a hangout for retirees where the slow decline of the player base pretty much equals the decline in the health of the players.

It's even on android. Yet I don't think I ever played RuneScape.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Minecraft is completely blown out of proportions, to the point where they have high res textures on a 8 bit pixelated game.

Seriously i wanted to face palm at that notion... high res textures for 8bit pixelated game.