What game(s) that will never die?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
What? Please elaborate?

Do you mean a game that has been going on non-stop without "dying" for years? Or a game that's never been forgotten? Or a game that can be replayed forever? Specifically a multiplayer game still being played online today despite its age?

More words in your post would most likely help.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Well, obvious answers would be:

- Blizzard 'Legacy' games such as WarCraft 3, Diablo 2, StarCraft 1
- World of WarCraft
- Some Valve 'Legacy' games (and some mods) such as Half-Life Deathmatch, Team Fortress Classic, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat
- Team Fortress 2
- Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
- Runescape
- Ultima Online
- EVE Online
- Allods Online (one of the first and very rare "WoW Clones" that still survives to this day)
- Some games from the Total War franchise (Rome, Medieval 2, Napoleonic Wars, etc)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Mount & Blade Warband
- Battlefield 1942 / Battlefield 2
- Alien Vs Predator 2
- Fightcade.com's service, being able to play many old(er) / retro Arcade games online today
- Tribes 2
- Command & Conquer 2 (Tiberian Sun / Firestorm) / Renegade, can still be played online (requires third party stuff, but can be done)

And many others I'm not seeing from my quick Google search, or that I'm not thinking about. And none of this even counts the very niche, sometimes very small communities that find themselves online to play old-school and retro games online via emulators for the NES / SNES / Genesis and so on (at least for those emulators that allow online play, and there's a good number of them by now).

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Games still with a player base that has gone on nonstop. Which ones ?
- Age of Empires 2. Still sitting in Steam Stats as one of the top 100 way ahead of Far Cry 5, AC: Origins, etc.

- Doom 1-2. People are still making WAD's for them even +25 years on and they're playing better than ever in modern GZDoom Source Port, and 1080p with mouselook whilst still retaining the original feel is an utterly delightful "blast from the past". Zandronum is the more MP focussed port, and the reality is some people never stopped playing Doom.

- Elder Scrolls 3-5. Again, it's the modding that keeps them alive. Skyrim is the most modded, but it's surprising how good Oblivion & Morrowind can look with a little effort.

- Neverwinter Nights. Again, consistently strong modding community over on NWVault keeps it alive.

- Thief 1-2. Fantastic modding community who have overhauled everything (DX7 to DX10 renderer, HD texture packs, lighting, huge number of community missions, etc) and basically turned this into this. Definitely got even better with age.

There are probably a lot of other too. Older retail disc (pre 2007-ish) or GOG games plus anything emulated (from consoles to DOSBox / ScummVM) that don't use the Steam client means they won't be included in personal gameplay time or overall "most played" games lists, but lots of people still replay them.

Reactions: DigDog and bigi

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
All the games listed are going to die eventually. Games that will actually still be around for as long as there are humans?

Chess
Go

These games have already been around for more than a thousand years, they will be around for thousands more in both physical and/or video form. They will survive simple because their concept is simple, they are games of pure intellect. The graphics don't matter.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
All the games listed are going to die eventually. Games that will actually still be around for as long as there are humans?

Chess
Go

These games have already been around for more than a thousand years, they will be around for thousands more in both physical and/or video form. They will survive simple because their concept is simple, they are games of pure intellect. The graphics don't matter.

In the words of Cartman:

"I dislike you a great deal."

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
All the games which have a non-game community. Ok maybe that definition is a bit off but i cant think straight.
Say, Mario 64 is a classic speedrun game; people will keep speedrunning it forever, and that has little to do with "playing the game". Same for all esports and competitive games where the competition is outside of the normal scope of the game .. like Quake.

Fun fact:
Steam popularized budget indie games, like FTL or Isaac's Binding, which contributed to returning oldskool roguelikes to "playable" status; people no longer dismiss a ASCII game just because it has no graphics. It's stunning how many once-abandoned roguelikes are now being maintained again.

Reactions: OCNewbie

dzielo

May 11, 2018
Albion Online, Blade and Soul and ESO like all MMOs with loyal community. Elder Scrolls Online is really nice game so why I sometimes buy eso gold. It is fantastic but I do not like to play only in one game because I get bored. When I do not waste time on farming I can play like a pro in few games. This is great option for people who do not have too much time because of old or work and family.

Last edited:

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

Chess
Go

Exactly my thought. Checkers, majong, poker(or various card games played with a standard deck) and mancala might be added to that list.

Any specific video game will die. It would probably be more fair to define a narrow genre with video games though. I mean I don't think a military themed FPS will ever go away, but the implementation might change.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
- Age of Empires 2. Still sitting in Steam Stats as one of the top 100 way ahead of Far Cry 5, AC: Origins, etc.

just picked up the remix on steam cause of this post. brings back some memories that's for sure. gotta learn all the hotkeys now. oy

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I want to get back into AoE, but I just can't. I've tried going back and replaying all the older RTS games and the only one I can faithfully play like I did back in the day is Brood Wars. Everything else just seems so... slow.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
MOHAA is still going strong if you can believe that. I play from time to time and always plenty of servers and players. Also a lot of cheaters too.

Reactions: uRnOdAiSy

FreshBross

Jul 30, 2018
I'd like to start by saying that the game that has successfully survived over 10years now would be..... Team Fortress 2! That game doesn't seem like it'll ever die lol
And also I'd like to add that both Counter Strike Global Offensive and Black Desert Online have made strong comebacks rececently and look as though they will last at least another 6-10 years each.

jimbotronics

Jul 4, 2018
I want to get back into AoE, but I just can't. I've tried going back and replaying all the older RTS games and the only one I can faithfully play like I did back in the day is Brood Wars. Everything else just seems so... slow.

Company of Heroes is still the best RTS I've played - plenty of them you just try and get resources and spam units, but not in this (especially the second bit); over 10 years old.

Often have a go on TF2 to unwind, but its been displaced in the last month by Pinball FX3 that I've just discovered - maybe pinball in general could be considered as one of those games that won't die, just that it will be a bit niche.