What FPS game would you recommend for me?

boed

Nov 19, 2009
This may sound strange but I'm looking for a FPS game that might make me want to finally upgrade my video card :)

I love lots of FPS but only the ones that don't require me to have a 500 key keyboard. I usually only map - forward, backwards jump, crouch, fire, alt fire, use & swap weapon. I find the battlefield games a bit tedious due to the number of keys you really need to know to play well.

My favorite games are:
just about any Wolfenstein
Halo 1
All the FEAR games
All the Crysis games
All the Bioshock Games
Bulletstorm
COD Airborne
NOLF
Loved the FIRST few COD games
Prey was OK

I've tried a few other games but most had me hating all the keys - I just want to KILL, KILL, KILL.

A bonus for me would be any games that let you play coop against the computer. I'm not really looking for any online gaming - I'd rather just play with friends on my home network.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Black Ops 3 probably, you can even play co-op campaign. After you finish that, you can set-up co-op games against bots in multiplayer modes if you like.

Dsmtalonkid

May 7, 2013
Black ops 3 is pretty good.
I haven't really played any other fps on pc besides sof2 in the last 10 years though.

boed

Nov 19, 2009
Thanks - I just tried Advanced warfare. I'll check out black ops 3 - I think it is the same engine. It wants more memory than my 780 has but it still plays fine. THe graphics were good and the gameplay was interesting. Underhell doesn't look like it is for me but I appreciate the suggestion.

Dsmtalonkid

May 7, 2013
Black ops 3 is also on sale for just under $23 on Amazon right now, I thought I got a good deal at $30.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
OP You like the games I do. However, I have been playing a lot of RPG's lately that have FSP elements...but they are not new. One of my favorites was Painkiller Gold (or black), but getting that to work on new machines is a nightmare. Some others that come to mind, and I'm sure you've played them? are Mass Effect series, Stalker series, Fallout NV and Metro Redux. These are not new new games, but worth looking into.

The Wife

boed

Nov 19, 2009
Thanks - I tried them and they just weren't for me. If I'm not hooked in 5 minutes I don't continue.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Thanks - I tried them and they just weren't for me. If I'm not hooked in 5 minutes I don't continue.

For me, the story line is paramount (Witcher 1-3). However, you sound just like my hubby...action, action action.:)

Best regards,
The Wife

boed

Nov 19, 2009
I enjoyed the story for FEAR 1 and Crysis. I enjoyed the alternate history in Bioshocks and Wolfenstein new order and old blood. I like the straightforward nature of Serious Sam 3 (not a lot of keys to remember for odd tricks) but the graphics are about a decade or more behind. I love coop in the few games I have that support it. NOLF2 had some great humor - the conversation between the mimes and the recording of Tom Goodman were priceless.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005

Give Hard Reset a try. I believe there's a demo. If not, wait for a Steam sale and get it for less than $4.

It starts fast and stays fast.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
was gonna recommend Zombie Army Trilogy but I'm shocked there is no local co-op. I cant recommend this game. It is online only co op when local co-op should have been a no brainer option for a game like this. Nevermind.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
5 minutes? Good luck on your quest. Probably less than 1% are going to meet that requirement.

boed

Nov 19, 2009
I appreciate all the replies here. I may not have the same taste as everyone but it's great to get some ideas as I hadn't heard of or tried all these games. YouTube has been very helpful for getting a feel for some these.

boed

Nov 19, 2009
So I ended up with these games if anyone is interested -
FEAR3 - Coop mod
NOLF2
Serious Sam SE, 2, FE HD
Star Trek Elite Force 2
Left4Dead 2
Doom 3

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Far Cry Primal? It is very well optimized so you can get great gaming response then you can just imagine how much better it would be if you could jack the settings up with a new gpu.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
How about Painkiller?

As I said, one of my favorites. However, the Steam version doesn't seem to play well with Win 7 64! I played the Gold ed several times back in the day, but Steam Black ed will freeze up in the middle of a quest and will not let me progress. I have no idea how to fix this...several suggested "fixes" don't work for me.

The Wife