what format should a dvd be?

TyKoN

Mar 21, 2005
i have a .mpg file that i want to burn to a dvd so that i can watch it with a normal dvd player. what file format does it have to be converted to?

thanks in advance.

Astray

Dec 19, 2005
the easiest way to do this is to use Nero or some other CD burning software that enables you to create Video CD's (VCD's), then choose the mpeg file, it should encode everything for you without having to worry about the proper format.

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Astray
the easiest way to do this is to use Nero or some other CD burning software that enables you to create Video CD's (VCD's), then choose the mpeg file, it should encode everything for you without having to worry about the proper format.

You mean DVD Video.

Severian

Oct 30, 2004
actually, if it's MPEG1, it'll probably have to be VCD. DVD video is MPEG2. If it's MPEG2 (they both use the .mpg file extension) then you just need to load it into an authoring program like TMP DVD Author, add chapters, maybe a menu, and author away.

If it's MPEG1, Nero can do a decent job of creating a VCD for you; but not all stand alone DVD players can play VCD's, and the quality is nowhere near DVD.

TyKoN

Mar 21, 2005
I got tmpgenc dvd author 2.0 but i cant seem to figure out how to add chapters. i just have one long movie and its all in one chapter. can someone help?

Severian

Oct 30, 2004
from the TMP DVD Author start screen, go to Start New Project, then Add File, browse to your MPEG file. click open. If your MPEG file isn't MPEG2 or a compliant stream, you will get an error message from DVD Author, and you need to use a different program. If you don't get that message, your file is loaded.

On the new window that pops up with your file loaded, click Cut-Edit and Chaptering. Go to Fast Chaptering, and select Insert chapters at specified intervals. I use 3 minutes per chapter. Click OK and the chapters are inserted while you watch. Click OK and go to Menu tab. There are too many options for me to walk you thru them all, you may not even want a menu if there's only the one track. Click output and select the directory where you want the DVD folder to be created. If you want, the program will even automatically burn the DVD for you after it's compiled.

Hope this helps.