What first world problem did you have today?

Page 666 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I just changed my password on a site and it didn't take, but I already updated my password manager and now I'm locked out. I guess I should add a feature to my password manager to remember the last password...

I have a feeling the reason it didn't take is because it has some weird arbitrary limitation so it didn't save the full password. Maybe 30+ character passwords that include weird characters in the mix are a bad idea... So many sites have piss poor password management.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lol wow what piss poor security that site has. I reset password but it never took, even though it said it worked. I guess it does not like non alpha numeric characters. I never understood systems that have weird password limitations. It all comes up to the same after it's hashed anyway. Heck you don't even need to sanitize it for sql injection, the hashing will do that for you. The only thing I can think of is that it's being stored in clear text... in 2018.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I just do one big partition. I'm also using a modern operating system (Linux) that can handle partitions larger than 2TB. :p

yeah chmod is such an improvement... NTFS can do 256TB partitions up to win10 1703. After that it's 8PB.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
yeah chmod is such an improvement... NTFS can do 256TB partitions up to win10 1703. After that it's 8PB.

I'll give you that... the Linux permission system SUCKS. The part that sucks the most is that there is no inheritance (at least not without jumping through lot of hoops on a per folder basis). Every individual file, folder etc takes on whatever permissions it wants based on context. (who/what creates the file etc) so you end up with a structure where none of the permissions match and it becomes a mess. I have scripts that run nightly on my servers to fix permissions in various folders where they all have to be the same for stuff to work correctly. (ex: so that I can actually access files as a regular user) but I feel that's a workaround more than anything. There's ACLs, but I've never ran into a Linux setup where it was there by default. It's not really native and don't know how well it works across network drives like NFS etc.

Did not realize Windows had fixed the 2TB limit though.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'll give you that... the Linux permission system SUCKS. The part that sucks the most is that there is no inheritance (at least not without jumping through lot of hoops on a per folder basis). Every individual file, folder etc takes on whatever permissions it wants based on context. (who/what creates the file etc) so you end up with a structure where none of the permissions match and it becomes a mess. I have scripts that run nightly on my servers to fix permissions in various folders where they all have to be the same for stuff to work correctly. (ex: so that I can actually access files as a regular user) but I feel that's a workaround more than anything. There's ACLs, but I've never ran into a Linux setup where it was there by default. It's not really native and don't know how well it works across network drives like NFS etc.

Did not realize Windows had fixed the 2TB limit though.

Not as simple as you made it out to be

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...erstanding-the-2-tb-limit-in-windows-storage/

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Got to the airport early because I thought it would be packed. Made it through security quickly but my flight is delayed. Been here for two hours and have another two to go. At least there's free Wi-Fi!

This well-built woman across from me is laying across two seats and chewing gum like a horse. Crappy acoustic Christmas music is also playing over the loudspeakers, and an Amazon package I had shipped to my parents house as a gift for my nieces is apparently lost.

Now that big woman is watching tv or some crap on her phone at max volume. I'm in hell.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd like to sleep outside tonight, but I'm not sure where my good sleeping bag is. I also haven't cut my bench into my oak log, and that would make a perfect bed. Really pretty outside tonight.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Had to help an uncle try to get video files off an iphone. You'd think it would be simple to do... but iphone. Normally you should be able to plug an iphone in the computer and it just shows up as a drive but for whatever reason it was not working.

Could not get it going, so he texted them to me and then I got them off my phone but the quality is shit when you text videos. If he was happy with that then I'm happy. lol.

You'd think there would be a more universal way of transferring large files by now, that just works out of the box on all devices whether it's a phone or computer etc. Maybe I need to learn app development and just create a standard open source protocol for that. App development does not really interest me though, stuff moves too fast, and there's too many platforms.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's largely because of apple shitware. I think they want you to sync everything through itunes cause they haven't made your life miserable enough by selling you an iphone. Not that android's braindead mtp is a bowl of cherries, but with some fiddling and workarounds, it operates as expected.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
A second Onkyo receiver died. Apparently one of the chips isn't soldered properly, overheats, and loses connectivity. Onkyo has a fix for it, but my unit doesn't qualify. Goodbye forever, Onkyo.

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
My Casio G-shock atomic solar watch is giving me trouble.

(It's struggling to charge.)

I went ahead and ordered a new G-Shock from Amazon.com..but if I can get my old one re-charged(I'm first trying leaving it in the bathroom with the light on for about 7 or 8 hours.),I'll use it as a backup.

Merry f**king Christmas to me.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Onkyo is garbage. I know. I have one.

They do seem to have higher failure rates,or did not sure anymore.I had a yam rxv673 fail out of warranty :S.My current denon x4200 gets worryingly hot,and im not even pushing it,i thing these were supposed to be cool too.Touch wood.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My Technics just keeps going. I'm running two speakers out of each channel which is supposed to piss it off but it doesn't seem to care. I want to update to a wifi compatible receiver but if all the new stuff is crap, maybe I'll sit happy for awhile.

Reactions: Zanovar

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
My Technics just keeps going. I'm running two speakers out of each channel which is supposed to piss it off but it doesn't seem to care. I want to update to a wifi compatible receiver but if all the new stuff is crap, maybe I'll sit happy for awhile.

You could always just add a wifi or bt receiver to your amp.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
You could always just add a wifi or bt receiver to your amp.
I've been looking. What I want to do is run a NAS unit as an audio server. So far, I keeping running into the "everything looks doable except this one piece that's going to cost me a buttload" problem.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Wasn't today, but I was in BigLots Saturday, and the Christmas stuff was looking sparse and sad. They were already starting on an aisle of spring stuff D^: