What first world problem did you have today?

Page 683 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I prevailed in getting the Android Auto apk file to load. I can get my music to play through the car stereo now which is what I was after (no control from the car, just pass through audio). Nothing else is working but I don't really care as the tablet has no cell function anyway.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The Amazon vs Google thing sucks. I wanted to install Android Auto on a Fire tablet.

Amazon: No Google Play store for you.
Me: Fine, I'll download the app file and install it anyway.
Google: Nana nana, you need to sign in and register your device to get to even get to the app file.
Me: A plague o' both your houses! I found the hack to install the Play store on the tablet (it works too!)
<installs Play store, signs into Google>
Google: You still can't have the Android Auto app because your device isn't compatible because of reasons. (reasons being that Google and Amazon are in a pissing match over shitty, zero margin tablets.)

I will continue the battle.
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.github.yeriomin.yalpstore/

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow dude, that is a lot. I know my co-workers who are married with kids pay way more than me, but not close to that much as far as I know. I know at least one of my dad's medications for Parkinson's is just absolutely through the roof (him and mom are retired). I couldn't believe it when my mom told how much.

I just logged in remotely to work to get the exact figure; it's $27.93 for medical, $15.08 for dental, and $9.97 for vision. So $52.98/month total for me (employeer picks up the majority of it). The best thing about being single I guess. Well, the freedom is pretty nice I suppose.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I wish this pain on all bummer care proponents. If you are paying a little, you're employer is getting hosed.

Looks like BCBS SC is "subsidizing" most people but it's based upon income. Went directly to their website and a family of four with 85k HHI was only $29/month for that plan with a $1200/mo "estimated subsidy". Still a garbage plan, yes.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Vet gave me antibiotics for my cat, and said I should also try giving him azodyl. I got to thinking about it after I got home, and giving a probiotic and antibiotic at the same time seems counter productive. Call them today to confirm, and the secretary said she didn't think it was probiotic, but she'd consult with the doctor. He confirmed it wasn't probiotic, and it was to help the kidneys metabolize urine(or whatever. Paraphrasing here). I'm not gonna argue with a "professional" over the phone, but I can fucking read, and I can certainly read the product page for azodyl...

Azodyl is a propietary formulation of beneficial bacteria that can be used to support normal renal health. Trusted for over 9 years, it is shown to help improve quality of life.
https://www.vetoquinolusa.com/content/azodyl

Now, I'm not a fancy fucking vet, with a fancy fucking degree, but that sure as shit looks like the exact definition of "probiotic" to me.

I need to find a new vet. I'll probably finish these cat's lives out there since they have all the documentation, but I'll simply consider them an assist to my primary care. If you're that careless with a simple fucking inquiry, how the hell can I trust you with any real thinking?!

I'm now a few days into antibiotics, and I don't know what to do. Stop, and produce viking germs, or go the course, and not give the medicine I think will work better??

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Probiotics are often suggested when taking antibiotics. The idea is to maintain/reestablish the population of good gut bugs while the antibiotic is killing off the good, the bad, and the ugly. Not sure why the vet doesn't think azodyl is a probiotic though.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Probiotics are often suggested when taking antibiotics. The idea is to maintain/reestablish the population of good gut bugs while the antibiotic is killing off the good, the bad, and the ugly. Not sure why the vet doesn't think azodyl is a probiotic though.
Yea, but the azodyl is about $2/day*2 cats. It's not the hugest expense, but it's enough, and if the antibiotics are raging on the azodyl, they aren't doing the job I assigned to them. I thought of splitting the difference, and giving the azodyl between antibiotic doses, but that would mean waking up at night(not a huge problem), and getting him a pill in the middle of the work day(a huge problem). Still debating... The guy I'm paying decent money to make these decisions is basically arguing that citric acid is alkali. I can't talk to someone like that.

Oh, and one other thing... After the first visit, he gave me pills to prevent nausea. I told him the cat wasn't throwing up. He said it boosts appetite also. I looked today after realizing he has no idea what he's doing, and that isn't a primary, or secondary effect. He lied to sell me some shitty $5 pills. Either that, or he was stoned. Who the fuck knows?!

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Except for single losers like myself, I pay under $50/month (employer-sponsored).

It was nice when my wife had a job and she took care of herself and the boys. I paid $0/mo. but had a high deductible. Since changing jobs myself, I don't have the luxury of that plan anymore. For the equivalent plan, I'm paying $90/mo. (but then multiplied since I have more dependents = $550/mo.). Goes to show you how it differs even from job to job where the starting point is.

The Amazon vs Google thing sucks. I wanted to install Android Auto on a Fire tablet.

I'm a huge Amazon [online store] fan, but I will not touch their Fire / Echo products for this very reason. The realization of this feud hit me when I wanted to purchase a Chromecast once. What do you mean you guys don't sell it?! Same with the Google Home Mini. Sorry Amazon, Google is bigger with more support and backing for future-proofing.

Last edited:

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I was trying to use sketchup to model my basement, but they made the free version all web-based and terrible.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Preemptive FWP, I have to go to Long Beach tomorrow through Friday... for free.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
was supposed to do my taxes this past weekend.
spent 10+ hrs mindlessly surfing the web clicking link after link after link

/obligatory reply of 'but that's what I do everyday'

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I lost some weight so I got some new undies that were a size smaller. Bad move. Now I can barely get both hands in them to scratch my balls.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Got my Red Wing boots in this week and the girl there said it could be up to six weeks to break them in, lol. I will say, when I crouch down (say, to get something out of the bottom shelf of the fridge) it f'ing hurts cause they're so stiff. But oh well, I wanted some nice boots and goddamnit I finally got them.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Got my Red Wing boots in this week and the girl there said it could be up to six weeks to break them in, lol. I will say, when I crouch down (say, to get something out of the bottom shelf of the fridge) it f'ing hurts cause they're so stiff. But oh well, I wanted some nice boots and goddamnit I finally got them.
Which ones did you get? When I get new boots, I always take backups to work in case I have to change them out. Nothing worse than feet full of blisters, and half the day to go yet.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Which ones did you get? When I get new boots, I always take backups to work in case I have to change them out. Nothing worse than feet full of blisters, and half the day to go yet.
The Sheldon (black), from their Heritage line:
RW09071C_MUL_N1_0617.jpeg

I like them so far; thankfully they don't hurt or rub or anything during walking, it's just when I crouch down on my toes.

Reactions: lxskllr

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I got some Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP cause Wrangerstar on YouTube loves the sh*t so much (probably mixes a couple dollops into his coffee every morning). He uses it on his wildland firefighting boots and swears by it, so I'm thinking it'll be sufficient for my everyday wear boots lol.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Nearly brand new Samsung front-loader started squeaking loudly when spinning. Bought the set from Costco...so I called their concierge service...who put me in touch with Samsung...who says that there is no repair service in my area, so all they can do is exchange the washer...but they'll only pay for delivery, not the actual installation. The units are on pedestals...so that will have to be removed and reinstalled as well as leveled and hooked up....I can, of course, hire a private appliance installer to do it for me. :eek:

After more than an hour of back and forth between Costco Concierge and Samsung, the last Costco rep put me in touch with a Costco.com rep...who has an actual exchange with install set up...will take 2-3 weeks MINIMUM to get a new washer delivered to their delivery/installers...but at least it's in the process. (I hope)
I guess this is just part of the "benefits" of living in "the wilderness" on the Washington coast...:rolleyes:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Nearly brand new Samsung front-loader started squeaking loudly when spinning. Bought the set from Costco...so I called their concierge service...who put me in touch with Samsung...who says that there is no repair service in my area, so all they can do is exchange the washer...but they'll only pay for delivery, not the actual installation. The units are on pedestals...so that will have to be removed and reinstalled as well as leveled and hooked up....I can, of course, hire a private appliance installer to do it for me. :eek:

After more than an hour of back and forth between Costco Concierge and Samsung, the last Costco rep put me in touch with a Costco.com rep...who has an actual exchange with install set up...will take 2-3 weeks MINIMUM to get a new washer delivered to their delivery/installers...but at least it's in the process. (I hope)
I guess this is just part of the "benefits" of living in "the wilderness" on the Washington coast...:rolleyes:
https://www.lehmans.com/product/lehmans-tin-washboards/

Easy installation, and cheap to operate ;^)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
so I need to trim the hedge in my front lawn.
manual sheers aint going to do since I haven't trimmed in years.

decided to buy a hedge trimmer ($40) and a 25' outdoor extension cord ($10).
well, the 25' cord is too short. cant reach the other side of the hedge.

so went back and bought another 25' cord. so $60 later, finally trimmed the hedge.

today, I see on slickdeals that there's a cordless li-ion hedge trimmer on sale for $100.

fml.
I much rather have that than unrolling/re-rolling two 25' cords. plus the time wasted going back to the store to get the 2nd extension cord.
plus I don't need outdoor extension cords. never needed one in the years I've owned the house, and I don't expect to need one anytime soon.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
so I need to trim the hedge in my front lawn.
manual sheers aint going to do since I haven't trimmed in years.

decided to buy a hedge trimmer ($40) and a 25' outdoor extension cord ($10).
well, the 25' cord is too short. cant reach the other side of the hedge.

so went back and bought another 25' cord. so $60 later, finally trimmed the hedge.

today, I see on slickdeals that there's a cordless li-ion hedge trimmer on sale for $100.

fml.
I much rather have that than unrolling/re-rolling two 25' cords. plus the time wasted going back to the store to get the 2nd extension cord.
plus I don't need outdoor extension cords. never needed one in the years I've owned the house, and I don't expect to need one anytime soon.
Plus the electrical tape and wire nuts....

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
My manager seems to be obsessed with taking the head of our division out to drinks (he's based out-of-state and him and others are visiting for a couple days) at a bar. I have zero interest in this; I don't drink and I'm not obsessed with the guy. LOL. I wanna tell my manager, "listen Billy, if you wanna have a candlelit dinner with Negan then YOU go and do it." It may not happen due to his schedule but if it does, oh well, I'll go for a bit and then leave. Just ain't my thing.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
My manager seems to be obsessed with taking the head of our division out to drinks (he's based out-of-state and him and others are visiting for a couple days) at a bar. I have zero interest in this; I don't drink and I'm not obsessed with the guy. LOL. I wanna tell my manager, "listen Billy, if you wanna have a candlelit dinner with Negan then YOU go and do it." It may not happen due to his schedule but if it does, oh well, I'll go for a bit and then leave. Just ain't my thing.
Hmmm.. we might work on the same team :p

Fortunately I've been able to avoid these events so far. I like everyone, I just don't want to hang out with work people and talk about work after work for free.