What first world problem did you have today?

Page 399 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've been contemplating replacing my 3 monitor setup with a single 4k, more pixel real estate without the hassle of multiple monitors and the fact that no OS seems to support it properly. Or do I wait for 8k... :D

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I am also interested in buying a new LCD monitor and TV, but they both work. Replacing them would be relatively small cost: better monitor for $200, downsized TV for ~$220.

And I am going to get a ratchet soon... which means I need a bunch of sockets and screw bits. I'm going metric first but will probably need effing imperial/SAE eventually.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
My Sony Silver headset's tight and is hurting my ears. Sadly, I'm afraid to stretch them out by leaving something between the ear muffs overnight as the plastic band is supposedly brittle and prone to breaking.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My Sony Silver headset's tight and is hurting my ears. Sadly, I'm afraid to stretch them out by leaving something between the ear muffs overnight as the plastic band is supposedly brittle and prone to breaking.
You can put it in the microwave for about 10 seconds, it will warm up the plastic and it won't be as brittle so you can stretch it and it will "set" once it cools.

(just kidding, don't try that)

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
What the fuck is this.................. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of their Shells.

Why do I remember this vaguely as a kid.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
If my worst problem today is entering into a thread to be attacked by uneducated people then I'm having it better than other people in this world.:p:D
My conscience will not let me go on without making sure you know so you will not continue endangering people with your ignorance.

The correct answer for what a vehicle in the left lanes might be doing is "passing." They are passing lanes, after all.

Now, if a passing vehicle has ample opportunity to move back to the right but rightly chooses not to, what might explain that?
The vehicle is traveling faster than traffic in right and is passing multiple vehicles.

Now, if this vehicle has a turn coming up on the right and there are still ample opportunities/openings to pass and merge, at what point might the vehicle move back to the right?
When the opportunity presents to safely move over before reaching the turn, preferably the last one.

Now, what might the driver lose when the light changes and traffic begins to back up?
The openings/opportunities to merge to the right before the driver's upcoming turn.

If the passing vehicle remains stopped in the passing lane with a wall of cars stopped in the right lane, what problem might the driver face when traffic resumes and everyone is starting from a stand-still?
A moving wall of cars with very little room between them, preventing a guaranteed ability to merge.

What could the driver do to prevent that problem?
Merge sooner when there was still opportunity.

What did the driver have just before getting stopped at the red light?
Ample opportunity to merge.

How, now, might the light suddenly changing affect the drivers on the left?
They may suddenly decide to merge now.

How are you supposed to approach a red light?
Slowly with the ability to stop if it does not turn green.

How much faster do you have to stop now than you would if a driver on the left had not merged?
Exactly one vehicle length.

Could the driver have made the decision too late or cut you off when you were too close/fast? Sure, but you freely admit to being completely oblivious to any reason the driver might have had and you even admitted that you weren't expecting/looking for that to happen. Obviously, you should have been approaching almost ANY red light with the expectation that it could trigger someone from the left lane to move into an empty space in front of you and be ready to slow down slightly faster to stop one car length sooner as a result. It's as simple as that really.

Even if the driver made the decision poorly, I'm not sure why you felt showcasing your own unpreparedness for it might be video-worthy unless you were completely oblivious to your own mistakes.

Now: "Uneducated?" Your attacks have been completely uncalled for. I said I wanted you to be a better driver. You said you smile at the thought of me being wrapped around a tree and then insulted my intelligence. I gave you the benefit of the doubt by assuming simple ignorance and not lack or intelligence or deductive abilities, but I invited you to deduce the reason multiple times and you refused. I don't know what else I can conclude about you now. You had your opportunity.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Now, if this vehicle has a turn coming up on the right and there are still ample opportunities/openings to pass and merge, at what point might the vehicle move back to the right?
So the driver is one of those douchebags who passes people and then slows down to turn right right in front of them? I bet that is the same kind of person who turns right from the right lane (coming to a dead stop in the lane before turning) when there is a perfectly good right turn lane available. ;)

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
So the driver is one of those douchebags who passes people and then slows down to turn right right in front of them? I bet that is the same kind of person who turns right from the right lane (coming to a dead stop in the lane before turning) when there is a perfectly good right turn lane available. ;)
Well, the scenario did not mention if there was a deceleration lane or not or if the openings were large enough to do that without slowing anyone down (before the stop light eliminated said openings). Whether or not the driver passing made an unsafe merge or rudely forced their way in isn't really the point. The point is to always be expecting it when approaching a red light with traffic on your left.

I'm alive because I learned to expect people to do dumb, rude, illegal, and unsafe things when I rode my motorcycle exclusively (didn't have a car for several years). My expectations were confirmed time and time again, reinforcing the notion that you have to expect it. Right of way only determines legal consequence. It doesn't make you safe enough to ignore or be complacent with whatever another driver might do.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
PS: Can you please tell us where you live and what you drive so we call all be alert for you on the roadway?
Nowhere near Wyoming/Grand Rapids, Michigan... thank God. Even if you laugh at the thought of me wrapped around a tree inside the twisted and mangled remnants of my vehicle, I pray no one ever violates your right of way for your and their sake.

Godspeed, Josh. It's not about who is right.

Oh! ...and next time there's a tornado around, consider taking shelter. OK, bud? That's kinda what you're supposed to do even if the tornado doesn't have right of way.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
You can put it in the microwave for about 10 seconds, it will warm up the plastic and it won't be as brittle so you can stretch it and it will "set" once it cools.

(just kidding, don't try that)

It's ok! They will bend to Vader's will surely. :colbert:

http://i.imgur.com/5Q5QBP2.jpg
5Q5QBP2.jpg

Reactions: poofyhairguy

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Spent half an hour peeling off and reapplying felt pads to a piece of furniture. Now my fingers hurt.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I will take the PVM, Super Game Boy 2, GBA, GBC, GB Pocket [Light?], and SFC/SNES with SMW.

Oh. Be a good lad and throw in the strange knock-off GBA SP thing [Famiclone?] too. Thanks!

When should I expect these items to arrive?
At least he gets to keep the RGB cables.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I was told that because I'm white, I cannot be discriminated against or treated differently than other races. :confused:

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I was told that because I'm white, I cannot be discriminated against or treated differently than other races. :confused:
The real point is that the automatic assumptions of positivity go toward good looking white males between 35 and 55 who look wealthy and speak with a mid-west anchorman accent.

I was raised in a place where I was a minority and I assure you, my experience having moved into a place where I am a member of the majority is night and day.

Put it another way: Would you like society to treat you the same way the average black man is treated?

But you are right, people CAN be bigoted against anyone for any reason: even if that reason are those things that, for almost everyone else, is are automatic positives.

For example: I have an unfortunately negative reaction to wealthy men and 'glamorous' women. I try to work against this, but I'm aware of it.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Lol that's awesome. And that's totally SMW being played on a real NES right? On a CRT too. That's awesomely old school.
SNES.

Also, not *just* a CRT: It's a Sony PVM that uses RGB for the kind of sharpness you usually can't get without an emulator on a CRT computer monitor.