What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1054 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Should be able to use a USB stick, Linux is well ahead of Windows in that regard, don't need to burn a CD.

So just got a FWP: Got a notification from my phone provider that I owe $56 and my bill is overdue. Apparently when it got transferred over the preauthorized payment never got setup. I figured that would be done automatically. So I was overdue on 2 months worth of payments. I was not in the late fee territory yet though and just paid it now. Probably take a minor credit hit for that but don't think it's going to affect me as I have no plan to take out a loan or anything like that any time soon. I'm more annoyed at the fact that I never got a notification sooner and that it was not setup as preauthorized from the get go.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Should be able to use a USB stick, Linux is well ahead of Windows in that regard, don't need to burn a CD.

So just got a FWP: Got a notification from my phone provider that I owe $56 and my bill is overdue. Apparently when it got transferred over the preauthorized payment never got setup. I figured that would be done automatically. So I was overdue on 2 months worth of payments. I was not in the late fee territory yet though and just paid it now. Probably take a minor credit hit for that but don't think it's going to affect me as I have no plan to take out a loan or anything like that any time soon. I'm more annoyed at the fact that I never got a notification sooner and that it was not setup as preauthorized from the get go.
Something that minor won't impact your credit rating. Only if it went unpaid and to collections.

Jul 27, 2020
Wondering if I can dump something in via a C: prompt. Ehhh, probably not.
Create a bootable Windows 7 USB. Boot to the recovery shell. From there, you can navigate to the required folders and xcopy /s them to the USB drive. This assumes that your PC's BIOS supports USB booting.

You can create a bootable USB with Rufus. It has an option to use non-UEFI mode for older PCs.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
That's nuts!

Today I learned that network connected wrenches are a thing. I look forward to talking torque wrenches. "Harder, harder! You limp wristed pansy, put some ass into it!" I also look forward to smart nails. "Pound me baby, pound me."

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Some things just shouldn't be internet connected lol. Heck most home automation stuff shouldn't. It should be 100% local. If you want to access it remotely that's what VPN is for.

They're even putting blutooth on furnace filters now that requires an app to access it. Probably need an account and internet to use it lol.

Reactions: lxskllr

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well this sucks, my work PC just completely locked right up. Cursor wouldn't even move. Thankfully it came back up and it's logging in now but that does not bode well.

Have to completely reload everything now.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So my work PC is not the only thing freezing in 2024.

Woke up to my furnace only blowing cold air and it didn't matter what I did with the thermostat. I thought it was weird that it kept going even if off. I showered and got dressed and went down to have a look. Had a flame out sensor error code and did reset it which got the furnace going normally again, but still called a hvac company as it tripped for a reason. Long story short it looks like I need a new furnace. Heat exchanger is plugged up. They say it happens over time from soot build up. Suppose to have like 100ppm of CO that comes out of the vent, I was getting like 10,000. When they first walked in they could smell burning. I couldn't smell it since I guess I got accustomed to it while it happened and I was already inside. CO detectors didn't go off so at least I don't have CO inside.

Probably looking at around 5k, which honestly is not as bad as I thought. That includes labour and AC unit work (they probably have to purge it etc to move the evaporator while replacing furnace)

While I'm at it going to get a quote for a hybrid water heater too since I was going to buy one and install it myself anyway. So in the end I might possibly be spending like 9-10 grand... I do have around 6k in my TFSA, 3k of that was actually for the water heater, and the rest was going to go towards my server room power upgrades. So at least it won't be TOO big of a hit but still was not planing to spend that kind of money.

Inquired about a heat pump but they said it's not worth it because they don't work well in the cold.

Got some electric heaters going now and waiting on the quote. Can really tell my cats came from the shelter as strays because they don't seem to even care that it's cold in here. Anything in the positives is probably luxery for them. My old cat would have been sitting right in front of the heater lol.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just got a quote for a Payne PG96 for $3,995.00 plus HST, so that's about 4.5k. Honestly not as bad as I was expecting. There was also another option for a slightly higher end Bryant model for 1k more but considering I'll have the wood stove going at some point... figured I will go with the cheaper option for the furnace. They're both made in the same factory anyway.

Asked them for a quote for a hybrid water heater too as I was thinking of buying one and installing it myself but since they'll be here anyway... maybe it won't be that much more to get them to install it. The water heater itself is 3k if I buy it myself. I was hoping they would include that quote too but guess they forgot, I just mentioned it verbally real quick while they were checking furnace.

Was not planning on spending almost 10k on hvac first thing this year but it is what it is I guess. I will actually save a lot in natural gas at the end of all this. If the heat exchanger was that bad chances are my furnace was not actually operating all that efficiently anyway so I'll probably notice a big difference.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just got a quote for a Payne PG96 for $3,995.00 plus HST, so that's about 4.5k. Honestly not as bad as I was expecting. There was also another option for a slightly higher end Bryant model for 1k more but considering I'll have the wood stove going at some point... figured I will go with the cheaper option for the furnace. They're both made in the same factory anyway.

Asked them for a quote for a hybrid water heater too as I was thinking of buying one and installing it myself but since they'll be here anyway... maybe it won't be that much more to get them to install it. The water heater itself is 3k if I buy it myself. I was hoping they would include that quote too but guess they forgot, I just mentioned it verbally real quick while they were checking furnace.

Was not planning on spending almost 10k on hvac first thing this year but it is what it is I guess. I will actually save a lot in natural gas at the end of all this. If the heat exchanger was that bad chances are my furnace was not actually operating all that efficiently anyway so I'll probably notice a big difference.

I say you stop spending money on this house on the corrupt government grid that is melting the minds of good christian people. you gotta rough it a bit, jerry rig some stuff at home, the put that 10K onto the pure off grid property, free living, self-sufficient paradise in the temperate Canadian plains, free of government corruption, except when you need to go get supplies and actually get on a government road. that's the life! not buying new hvacs in a corrupt society when you should be able to off grid rough it!

SAD!

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Went out to snowblow last night. I use a cable and lock to prevent theft. Dropped the key into the snow 10 minutes of removing all the snow in that area by hand and no key was found. Went inside. My wife and I searched through 4 draws where I likely put the spare - nada (should have been in the first one, with the basket for the damn spare keys!).

Drove off to HD to get a 24” bolt cutter. Never do anything unless HD is open!

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Sucks to have to break in HD to free up your snow. April will be here soon enough.
I wouldn't say clearing the snow off the cars/driveway/etc. is my favorite job - but I feel good about taking care of our property myself. Wife got a bit nervous with me needing to go driving on slick roads. She insisted we have a garage built this summer - till I reminded her that a two car garage would cost us $35-40K (effing inflation). I find I'm not a big fan of the cold temperatures as I get older.

Reactions: highland145

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I guess you have usb policies that would make portable apps non useful? VLC was a standard program I setup for the office computers I dealt with.

Nov 17, 2019
When I redid this house, I bought a gas forced air furnace and all the associate parts and installed it myself. A few years later, I went back to the same supplier and they would no longer sell to the public. You had to have an account and needed a business license to get an account.

I think of the whole 'right-to-repair' notion where you have to be able to buy parts for stuff you own. I guess they made it so you can't buy the stuff to begin with.