What features would you like to see implemented in Steam?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
I have only one request... allow users to increase the text size of the Steam UI. I game on a 1080P 60" HDTV and I can't believe how unbelievably small the text is when trying to browse the store through Steam. Sure, I can just use my normal browser to do it, but using Steam is the way you browse for purchases.

In any case, because of this issue I just prefer ignoring the store altogether and just use it as a game launcher. I find out about great deals from forums like this one.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
Valve does not support 3rd party DRM or problems. Here is an email i got from Steam a couple days ago:

Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Technical support for this title is handled by a third party support department - please follow the link below for instructions to contact the support provider for this title: Title: Grand Theft Auto IV series .... blah, blah.

So, like i said, Steam should strip all DRM from its titles and just use Steam authentication.

Do you think the publishers would let them do that? Any game that you buy on Steam that has GFWL, etc will have the same thing on the retail hard copy. The publishers don't allow Steam to sell these games without that extra shit.

lord_emperor

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
#1 Consumer's lawful right to resell supported.

#2 Ability to play games offline without psychic foreknowledge of internet connection issues.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
~Remove all the stupid crap they added to the overlay when they recently updated.
~Allow multiple computers to be on one account to play different games. I own all these games, why can't I play them?
~Allow games to be sold.
~Allow offline mode right away, don't sit there trying to connect to the internet for 15 minutes. Just let me play the games I paid for.
~Allow games to run without Steam in background.
~Stop making modding annoying. I OWN THE GAME. I BOUGHT IT! Why the fuck is it encoded?! I fucking bought it! How is encrypting a game that I already bought helping prevent theft? I already gave you the fucking money!

you play multiple games on multiple PCs at the same time? are you Kali?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
#1 Consumer's lawful right to resell supported.

I wonder if anyone with law brains has ever checked into challenging this. Might be a good one to send to Andrew Cuomo since he loves to tackle the big guys who tread on consumer rights and is now running for governor.

I'd like to see Steam have the ability to be intergraded into webpages/forums.

Aug 11, 2008
The ability to play games without a Steam client running in the background. If this happened, I would actually pay full price for games on Steam.

I would say pretty much the same thing, but I would like to be able to play without being on the internet. I know there is offline mode, but I find that pretty much useless , as you have to be online to steam to set it up. So if you unexpectedly lose your internet, you are out of luck. Also, my grandson and I have steam installed on 2 different computers, and even if I just want to check out the steam store, I have to make sure he is not playing on steam before I sign on.
Actually, I dont know why so many people are upset with Ubisoft for having to be online to play their latest games. I dont like it either, but steam is pretty much the same, but no one seems to complain about that.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
you play multiple games on multiple PCs at the same time? are you Kali?

You can't even log into two computers at the same time, which means that if you want to update something on one computer while playing on a different computer, you can't.
It also means that (as posted just above) if you are two people in one house (e.g. two brothers, or father and son) and you want to play games and have them on a single Steam account, you can't.

Do you think that Steam should prohibit sharing accounts within a family/household? Because if you have a license for game A and one for game B, they shouldn't be exclusive licenses IMO (i.e. you play A or B), you should be able to do what you want with each, when you want.
Or do you not think discrete products should work like that? As discrete products.

The "solution" is to have each game on its own Steam account, which removes any and all 'convenience' and makes using Steam a hassle.
So either you have a program which is a huge hassle, or you get your rights fucked over. Either way Steam is hardly a great solution to the supposed hassle of non-Steam games requiring an install from disc. (and then, in many cases, no further anything. I can't recall touching my Crysis Warhead disc after I installed the game, and the only thing I had to do was re-enter the CD key after an OS reinstall and it was back up and running).

Last edited:

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
A user rating system for games, be it 5 stars or 1-10. Only people who have the game tied to the Steam account can actually rate it. There are gems out there that have low scores or people simply overlook and then there is trash out there with high scores.

I'd like to see 1-100 rating system too, that'd be cool.

I'd like to see more friends list integration into games like BC2.