What exactly is Amazon Web Services (AWS)? Not just hosting?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Hosting is just part of it, they offer tons of different services. I'm using them for both hosting and running a backend server using their Elastic Beanstalk and Route 53 services. They also have a database service which is like their own type of noSQL type of db I believe but since it wasn't straight up mongo we opted not to use them.

And that is just 3 of their many services. They probably have like 30 or 40 or maybe more than that. I don't know what the majority of them are for since I don't need them.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
It's a pretty comprehensive set of computing services, from virtualization, to storage, to DBs, plus a variety of higher order computational models.

It's basically everything and anything involving computer resources they believe anyone's willing to pay for.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
It's a platform, more than it is hosting. You do things "their way" and reap the benefits (many substantial!)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Blizzard uses AWS to host some Overwatch servers. My guess is that they have their own set of servers, but if they need more, they'll just spin them up on AWS.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I don't get it. Can you give me some basic examples of why someone needs a platform?
What sort of popular app or website uses AWS?

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
I don't get it. Can you give me some basic examples of why someone needs a platform?

It's servers, this isn't rocket surgery. You have a business, you need an internet presence, instead of building your own server farm, you lease from Amazon.

Good lord.

And just in case: https://vimeo.com/6677828

And I've found this to be a helpful website: http://google.com

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, the whole point of using a service like AWS is that you don't have to set up your own physical server, storage, and network connections.

The company I work for uses EC2 and RDS to host their web, application, and database servers. They also use S3 for remote backup storage.

Almost every large organization uses AWS or a hosting service like it now. Netflix is probably the biggest one, but NASA and Amazon itself are also big customers.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

If you want some computers & the like to do something, you can either buy or otherwise set them up yourself, or you can pay amazon to do much of the work for you. It's not altogether different than paying a professional to teach kids or whatever instead of figuring it all out on your own.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
It's servers, this isn't rocket surgery. You have a business, you need an internet presence, instead of building your own server farm, you lease from Amazon.
]

Oh OK, so you mean it's just web hosting.
Got it.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
It's a simple question that has not been answered. What is AWS? web hosting? More? OK, give examples please. Why would you need a server farm? What are "services"? Have you ever explained anything to anyone ever? You sound like you live in a bubble

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
That's cool they offer a free account - make your own VPS for free?

It's "free" for the year, but what you get for that is highly limited.

Basically, you get 1 free "t2.micro" server with roughly 1/2 of a Xeon CPU, 1 GB of memory, and 30 GB of SSD storage. Anything more powerful than that, and they'll start charging you by the hour.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
It's a simple question that has not been answered. What is AWS? web hosting? More? OK, give examples please. Why would you need a server farm? What are "services"? Have you ever explained anything to anyone ever? You sound like you live in a bubble

Why don't you look it up on Wikipedia or aws.amazon.com and read about it?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
That's cool they offer a free account - make your own VPS for free?

Oh, if you're looking for a "free" VPS, you might be better off trying the free trials for Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud. They offer a $200 or $300 service credit, which you can use to run a small VPS for a few months.

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
It's "free" for the year, but what you get for that is highly limited.

Basically, you get 1 free "t2.micro" server with roughly 1/2 of a Xeon CPU, 1 GB of memory, and 30 GB of SSD storage. Anything more powerful than that, and they'll start charging you by the hour.

Thanks - going to have to check it out

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
Oh, if you're looking for a "free" VPS, you might be better off trying the free trials for Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud. They offer a $200 or $300 service credit, which you can use to run a small VPS for a few months.
even better - Thanks much ultimatebob

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016

It's been answered several times now, and with links, again, have you ever beeen told you had ADD or a learning disability? One of my stepchildren has several different types and you sound just like her.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I use S3 to host attachments on one of my forums. It's super cheap too. It's like pennies for Gigabytes. At least that's what I see from their calculator. I tried RDS to segregate the database to the cloud, but quickly found out the micro instance was slowing down the site and the database wasn't using an encrypted connection which defeats my use of a server Cert for encryption. Amazon even has DNS hosting.