What editing software you guys use?

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
What editing software you guys use? I am likely the only one that don't use Adobe lightroom/PS, it is because of the price and I don't like the way light room handle albums.

This is what I have
DXO Optic for RAW - have been using it since v9, just used to it. Yet I paid for it.
Corel PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate - Come with bunch of stuff for dirty cheap, easy to use and powerful. Yet I paid for it.
Photo Matrix - For HDR merge, easy to use and powerful. Yet I paid for it.
I think I paid less than $200 for all those.

Print.net - for simple resize and corp. Free
A old version of PS - When I need more local adj, Adobe offered it for free at one point

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
I used Adobe CS5 but will ditch it soon when I order Affinty Photo app for my Mac :) it is cheaper than Adobe and I don't like subscription. I also have Aperture but Apple killed it last year so I don't use MacOS new Photo app.

Jtorrespr1

Sep 13, 2005
I use gimp with ufraw and windows movie maker. My stuff is simple just kids at school stuff or wild life etc.
For what I need i think too many programs are over priced.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
I use Lightroom about 80% of the time, and use Photoshop the rest of the time. I hate Adobe's subscription model, but Lightroom + Photoshop is what I'm used to.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Try ACDSee Pro, it is a great file management app with powerful editing. I have been using it for 10 years now and feel no reason to go the Adobe route.

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Primarily Irfanview and occasionally, Windows Paint for specific pixels. I try to preclude editing when taking the picture. :)

Reactions: lakedude

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Photoshop elements 14. I just use it for basic raw editing and fine tuning of my photos.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
GIMP w/ GMIC
Filter Forge 6.0
NIK collection

I don't have RAWs to process and refuse to subscribe to software. Just give me my download and go away.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Not a fan of the subscription but I know Lightroom well and use it for everything. I have an HD merging plugin I like and I use it for work all the time.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm on Linux, for the longest time I was using Raw Studio, but when I changed distros, it was not available for that distro (Mint 18) so now I use Darktable. Took me a while to get used to the workflow and I kinda hated it at first, but now it's growing on me. Probably not as good as the windows programs but it's also free and open so there's that.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I use Adobe Bridge for bringing my photos on board and giving them first pass to rate the keepers.

Then I use Lightroom CC to edit, develop and publish the finished products.

I have Photoshop CC but, I don't really need to fire it up but once in a blue moon.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
even though it is slow, i use lightroom because im so used to it AND i can use MIDI2LR plugin. not sure if MIDI2LR can be used with other softwares for editing

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
even though it is slow, i use lightroom because im so used to it AND i can use MIDI2LR plugin. not sure if MIDI2LR can be used with other softwares for editing
Holy crap! I never knew about MIDI2LR. I have a USB MIDI controller I use for my music stuff, but now I'mma give it a go in LR. Cheers!

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Holy crap! I never knew about MIDI2LR. I have a USB MIDI controller I use for my music stuff, but now I'mma give it a go in LR. Cheers!

the ones with rotary encoders (knobs that you can turn endlessly) works great! my Behringer x touch mini is amazing for $50 new. you will never find them used cause everyone is using it for LR editing. it has just enough knobs to take care of LR sliders and it has buttons for basic kb functions or combos

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
the ones with rotary encoders (knobs that you can turn endlessly) works great! my Behringer x touch mini is amazing for $50 new. you will never find them used cause everyone is using it for LR editing. it has just enough knobs to take care of LR sliders and it has buttons for basic kb functions or combos
I got one of these sitting right in front of me. The rotary encoders are finite in travel but I also got all these sliders and buttons. Haven't taken the time to map things out yet, but we'll see what it'll do for me.

Thanks again.

Oxygen-49-large.jpg