What DVD Burner/drive for saving home video?

Taqbascoman

Feb 15, 2000
I have a Canon Elura Mini DV recorder which I am taking home videos of.

I want to buy a DVD burner to save these videos to instead of tape so I can keep them safe as well as distribute to family.

What burner type (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, etc) do you recommend? What brand model can you suggest? I do not plan on using DVD's over again, just once. I would prefer to buy a combo drive that can burn CDR's as well so I can back up data from computer....currently so not have one.

Also, I planned on buying a basic IEEE 1394 PCI Adapter card off auction site for $20. Any recommendations here.

I have Windows Xp home.

thanks

Lilvtec

Nov 27, 2000
I have a Panasonic D311 DVD-R/DVD-RAM Burner and I am quite happy with it. It can burn the dirt cheap generic DVD-R's that you can get out there fro about $1.25, you can also use the DVD-RAM rewritables for data. If you have or buy a newer Panasonic Progressive Scan DVD player I've noticed some of them also play the DVD-RAM's if you want to preview before making it permanent. The DVD-R's I've been using are just dirt cheap and so far have worked on every newer DVD player I've tried (2 yrs or so). I also think the only ones that can burn CD-R's are the DVD-RW's. I know my Panasonic can't use them, only read, you can pick up one of those 24X burners in the hot deals forum for less than $20 though. My two cents, get one that can do the cheap DVD-R's and get a seperate burner. It's worked pretty well for me so far.

Taqbascoman

Feb 15, 2000
I think I am going to go with the Pioneer A04 which seems to be selling for $300 on Ebay.

Besides what comes with unit, do I need anything else to be able to convert from DV camera to DVD for family movie burning?

I have a software called "Cyberlink PowerDirector 2 PRO"...is this enough? http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/product_order.jsp?ProdId=45

What kind/brand DVD media do I need to burn DVD movies from DV camera to play on DVD players?

thanks

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Taqbascoman
I think I am going to go with the Pioneer A04 which seems to be selling for $300 on Ebay.

Besides what comes with unit, do I need anything else to be able to convert from DV camera to DVD for family movie burning?

I have a software called "Cyberlink PowerDirector 2 PRO"...is this enough? http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/product_order.jsp?ProdId=45

What kind/brand DVD media do I need to burn DVD movies from DV camera to play on DVD players?

thanks
I think you can buy that model from online shops for around $300, maybe less. I was almost set to buy that one, but now I'm just going to wait (probably awhile) for DVD+R. Right now, I'd recommend a DVD-R drive, the A04 is probably the best bang for the buck right now (some HP ones can be had for a similar price). DVD-RAM is only good as a 4.7GB optical backup, there's no way it will play in any DVD players out there. DVD-R at least *should* play on most DVD drives just fine. Personally, I'm waiting for DVD+R (and DVD+RW) to become the standard, which is basically designed from the ground up to be compatible with all DVD drives.

I'd recommend cheaper generic DVD media (the difference is like $1 vs $5-10 for name brand stuff right now). I'm not too familiar with the burning software; I think ahead Nero Burning ROM works with DVD drives, so I'd recommend that. You probably need a firewire (IEEE 1394a) PCI card (if you don't already have firewire) since most DV cameras use that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
VirtualLarry Graphics Cards 25

ASK THE COMMUNITY