What drives this madness on small modular reactors

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I gave it shot, but ultimately I baled. Mr. Barnard needs an editor with a big f'in' black sharpie to cut the ridiculous self-indulgent, over-the-top, ego-ridden, grandiose, pompous prose. OP, if you'd like to make the effort to whittle this gasbag of an article down to size and get to the argument, I'd read that.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
He doesn't think they're unsafe. But you do, right?
My opinion on nuclear isn’t limited to one objection, but for many different reasons. I have basically ignored the ‘are they save issue’ in favor or the what I believe is a fact they will never be built.

I also believe no reactor that was ever built was not deemed safe by those who make money from it in one way or another.

I also see the future as a reflection of the past. We have failed to clean up nuclear waste and store it which says to me we never will. There is no big monet in that and nobody wants it stored anywhere near them.

I also believe it to be insane to creat deadly poisons that remain so for thousands of years.

Technically, disregarding all the massive number of reasons not to build them, there are designs that should be able to run as safely enough tha safety would should, for rationally and scientifically sophisticated people, not be a major concern.

Good luck, however, trying to build them anywhere rich people live or convince Mothers they are safe. Irrational fear is one reason pushing nuclear is a waste of time. It’s also a big con game.

Reactions: hal2kilo

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
^ Agreed on the waste issue alone. Clean up the messes and then we can have a rational discussion.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
^ Agreed on the waste issue alone. Clean up the messes and then we can have a rational discussion.

I still don't get why Americans are reluctant to reprocess nuclear waste into useful fuel again and greatly reduce the amount of nuclear waste you need to store.

Yuka Mountain was such a clusterfuck...

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
Nuclear waste is largely a political issue.

Reprocessing can substantially reduce the amount of waste and need for new uranium sources, but we don't allow reprocessing in the US because of fears of nuclear proliferation.

On the political side, no one wants to be the state with the central depository for any nuclear waste, so since we don't reprocess or have a central storage space, waste just sits at local sites throughout the country.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
there is a whole shit ton of waste at Hanford from the 50's that is not going to make fuel, and they keep tossing billions at it and not quite solving it.
The former soviet union has graveyards of nuclear powered navy that has not been addressed.
The simple reprocessing of the material in fuel pools all over the world is the tip of the iceberg, IMO.

• Love

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Nuclear waste is largely a political issue.

Reprocessing can substantially reduce the amount of waste and need for new uranium sources, but we don't allow reprocessing in the US because of fears of nuclear proliferation.

On the political side, no one wants to be the state with the central depository for any nuclear waste, so since we don't reprocess or have a central storage space, waste just sits at local sites throughout the country.

Holtec actually got a license this year for an interim site in New Mexico. There may be lawsuits to delay or prevent its use but unclear if they would succeed.

I would really like to get some of the dry cask storage canisters out of high corrosion zones...like right on the fucking beach in San Onofre.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
there is a whole shit ton of waste at Hanford from the 50's that is not going to make fuel, and they keep tossing billions at it and not quite solving it.
The former soviet union has graveyards of nuclear powered navy that has not been addressed.
The simple reprocessing of the material in fuel pools all over the world is the tip of the iceberg, IMO.
We bury the defunct submarine reactors, and I assume aircraft carrier reactors at Hanford of all places.