What does this mean?

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
I'm supposed to create an 8x8 matrix in which the elements m_ij are of the type m_ij = i + j.

Does this mean that the elements of matrix 'm' are equal to the sum of the row plus column numbers?

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
element @ X,Y would be X+Y

So Element at 2,3 would be 2+3=5
Element at 34, 35 Would be 34+35=69

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I don't mean to hate on you, but you really need to understand expressions with variables...

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Ahhhhh, BassBomb thank you for that clarification.

Yes Howard, thank you for the obvious. I fail. I've been pwned.

Don't worry, I'll try not to cross paths with you so you don't have to deal with my ineptitude.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Originally posted by: oiprocs
Ahhhhh, BassBomb thank you for that clarification.

Yes Howard, thank you for the obvious. I fail. I've been pwned.

Don't worry, I'll try not to cross paths with you so you don't have to deal with my ineptitude.

haha

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: yamadakun
Originally posted by: BassBomb

isn't this wrong?

Yes, yes it is.

Edit: i will qualify later if no one else does.

Edit 2: This should help.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001

isn't this wrong?

Ehh, I'm not sure if you mean in the general sense.

For the assignment, that is correct. Well, insofar as how I need to generate the matrix elements.

Soooo....everybody wins!!!!

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
21. :(

Am I going to get another "dude, you suck, you'll never make it in engineering, take your soft skills and go to marketing" post?

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
It's okay, there are a lot of stupid engineers out there. Most of them don't have jobs though

Edit: actually they typically end up as your boss

TanisHalfElven

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
It's okay, there are a lot of stupid engineers out there. Most of them don't have jobs though

LOL.
what uni are you at OP. and what kind of engineer are you/

usually before being assigned work classes give a syntax intro. lookin r notes or ask a friend/TA.

as for all the calling you stupid (as much as i'd like to mess with you too). don't pay much attention. this is a knowledge gap. not a lack intelligence. i'm an ME sophmore and have never seen that syntax and have no idea what that is.

i hate it when people consider intelligence to be acquired skills or knowledge.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
21. :(

Am I going to get another "dude, you suck, you'll never make it in engineering, take your soft skills and go to marketing" post?

Stick in there. All the assholes who are too proud to ask for help in understanding things are either recognized as arrogant pricks that no company wants to hire... or flunk out.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
I'm a senior in electrical engineering and I have never seen that particular syntax before and I assumed what BassBomb did, but according to others thats wrong so who knows.

Anyways, I deffinitely would not consider knowledge of some arbitrary syntax to be related to intellegence, in fact I cannot think of anything less related to intellegence than memmorizing syntax.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
I am not familiar with this matrix element location notation, and I assumed this is dealing with real and imaginary part of a complex number.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven

LOL.

UC San Diego. I thought I was getting a grade A education, but I think I'm paying for a brand name. :p Classes are hard though, but since it's engineering I figure it's just as hard else where.

Studying the toughest, most incomprehensible, most likely to defeat mere mortals, super uber pwner major: Structural Engineering. Some say it's a disciple of Civil; I say it's in a class of its own. :p

Seriously though, I do get it all the time that I'm in the easiest engineering so I must stop the whining or diaf.

But thanks for all the support!

:music:They tryin' to make me transfer majors, but I said nooo noo no:music:

TanisHalfElven

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven

LOL.

UC San Diego. I thought I was getting a grade A education, but I think I'm paying for a brand name. :p Classes are hard though, but since it's engineering I figure it's just as hard else where.

Studying the toughest, most incomprehensible, most likely to defeat mere mortals, super uber pwner major: Structural Engineering. Some say it's a disciple of Civil; I say it's in a class of its own. :p

Seriously though, I do get it all the time that I'm in the easiest engineering so I must stop the whining or diaf.

But thanks for all the support!

:music:They tryin' to make me transfer majors, but I said nooo noo no:music:

don't know about UC wherever but at UT austin an ME has to study about 3-4 hours average a day outside classes just to keep up much less get ahead... so don't worry about transferring majors. that IMO is the dumbest of moves since you loose a lot of time (as in taking different classes) and end up with a very very similar degree.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
ever see The Matrix and how they had that code scrolling down the screens? I would print that out with the characters M, J, I, +, _, and = scrolling down.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: homercles337

isn't this wrong?

Yes, yes it is.

Edit: i will qualify later if no one else does.

Edit 2: This should help.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. I interpret m_ij as the element in m in the ith row and jth column, not referencing a matrix entry by a single number.