What does "January 01, 0001" mean

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: OdiN
Originally posted by: Juno
Originally posted by: irishScott
Uh... the first year of the first millennium?

0001 AD = 1AD

not 0AD?

There is no "0" AD.

0AD is simply the name to refer to the year before 1AD. 0AD would have been like... xxxxxxxxx BC. Technically, the entire year up until the point where we decided should be the marking of A.D., was just another year where Christ was born. Then the year immediately following that, so on the current calendar the day that would have been January 1st (6 days after the birth) would turn into 1AD. That was the first year post A.D.
I think.
Now I fear I may have that completely butchered.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
It's just how we split time.

1000 BC, 500BC, 2BC, 1BC, 1 AD, 500 AD, etc.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Originally posted by: destrekor
Originally posted by: Juno
Originally posted by: irishScott
Uh... the first year of the first millennium?

0001 AD = 1AD

not 0AD?

There is no "0" AD.

0AD is simply the name to refer to the year before 1AD. 0AD would have been like... xxxxxxxxx BC. Technically, the entire year up until the point where we decided should be the marking of A.D., was just another year where Christ was born. Then the year immediately following that, so on the current calendar the day that would have been January 1st (6 days after the birth) would turn into 1AD. That was the first year post A.D.
I think.

That's why the most recent millenium didn't really start until 2001, but people have a stupid fascination with round numbers and made a big dead out of the year 2000 for some reason.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
That's it, in a nutshell. Remember that the calendars back then were based on Roman numerology, and the Romans didn't have a number zero (didn't even really have the concept, from what I understand).

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
Maybe your program has failed

its my program, but its capital ones website. It says that for my next payment due =/ lol. Guess ill call tomorrow.

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Twista
The 0001 part????

It means the variable they used to store the date overflowed, or the method they used to come up with the date screwed up. Or both. I'm guessing at least the second one.

Originally posted by: destrekor

I think.

The year before AD 1 was 1 BC. There was no AD 0.

Jesus was most likely not actually born on December 25. IIRC, he was also probably born in a different year than the "BC/AD" system would imply, but that is at least supposed to be fairly close.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

its my program, but its capital ones website. It says that for my next payment due =/ lol. Guess ill call tomorrow.

Damn you're way overdue. I can't imagine the late fees.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003

LOL, Twista's bout to get izzowned.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Shawn

LOL, Twista's bout to get izzowned.

Assuming you only owed one penny and low introductory rate of 2%, you owe (1.58)(10^17).

Pwned.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Aluvus
The 0001 part????

It means the variable they used to store the date overflowed, or the method they used to come up with the date screwed up. Or both. I'm guessing at least the second one.
I think it was the third or forth one. The forgot to initialize a field or the variable names are incorrect.

Overflow usually gets random data and the dates would be something other than 0. Wrong method would do the same.

Either way, lead the way to George B's Epoch fail link.