What does it take to break 130W TDP?

Habeed

Sep 6, 2010
I'm running an i7 930 overclocked to 4200 mhz. Today, I finally downloaded CPUID hardware monitor and checked how much juice the CPU was drawing. According to the "Analog Device ASP0800", running the OCCT stability test full bore I am only drawing 68.63 amps, or 93.88 watts full blast.

I expected to be over 130Watts at this point. Certainly my temps indicate this : with my Noctua DH-11 cpu cooler, I'm getting core temps of 77-87 degrees C. That indicates a huge amount of heat is being dissipated, and given the high temps it seems to me that I must be dissipating more than 130 Watts. Noctua CPU coolers do a lot better on 130W synthetic benchmarks.

The motherboard is the sabertooth X58. Intel Thermal Management is disabled. Benchmarks such as Sandrasoft and 3dmark CPU score indicate that I'm getting the kind of performance one would expect to see for my chip overclocked this high.

Any theories? Yes, the CPU cooler is probably mounted correctly. These temps are about what you would expect for 4.2ghz with hyperthreading enabled. I remounted the cooler several times, actually. My best theory is that there is another voltage controller on this motherboard or some other unmonitored way for additional current to get to the CPU.

Also, another note : total system draw at the plug is 145 Watts idle, 365 watts running the OCCT test. The OCCT test does not touch the video card, which you can see from these temps is running at idle (35 C, this card gets to 80 C under load). Power supply is an XFX power supply that is 80+ certified. Assuming 85% efficiency, this would indicate that something is gobbling up 187 watts at load during a CPU stability test...

cpupowerdraw.png

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
According to the "Analog Device ASP0800", running the OCCT stability test full bore I am only drawing 68.63 amps, or 93.88 watts full blast.

What has you convinced that the ASP0800 measures/reports the amperage of the LGA1366 socket?

Sp12

Jun 12, 2010
I assure you your CPU is pulling very close to 130 watts at stock. Any voltage/frequency past that is over 130.

They're binned with that target in mind, so if it could run at a higher clock within that TDP it would be.

Habeed

Sep 6, 2010
Gotcha. Yeah, the evidence seems overwhelming that there's a lot more than 130W TDP being dissipated by my CPU at this overclock.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
im using over 110w more power with my overclock than stock, according to my UPS anyways. Trust me your CPU will draw ALOT more than 130w if you overclock. HW monitor is useless for voltages/power consumtion.