What does it take to be a PC Gamer?

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Getting the itch to build again, but not sure that I want to spend what it takes to be a pc gamer proper. Seems to me that if you are going to choose PC over console, you ought to do it the right way and maximize the outputs (e.g. graphics, speed, etc.).

What kind of hardware does it take to run current gen pc games at max settings with a decent frame rate? Is a dual GTX 680 rig with an overclocked i7-3770k necessary? Or what is the "minimum" hardware you can get away with?

Thanks.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Getting the itch to build again, but not sure that I want to spend what it takes to be a pc gamer proper. Seems to me that if you are going to choose PC over console, you ought to do it the right way and maximize the outputs (e.g. graphics, speed, etc.).

What kind of hardware does it take to run current gen pc games at max settings with a decent frame rate? Is a dual GTX 680 rig with an overclocked i7-3770k necessary? Or what is the "minimum" hardware you can get away with?

Thanks.

Depends on what kind of game your playing. BF3 is probably the most taxing multiplayer FPS that people play now, so ill assume thats the game your building for. You definitely dont need something that extravagant and probably can spend around or less than 500 to build something that is more than capable for modern games.

Ive seen good prices on gtx 660's on slickdeals - which would be more than good enough for 1080p gaming.

Check out toms system builder for some ideas. Also once your serious about putting something together, id probably post in the hardware section for advice.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/do-it-yourself-build-computer,3374.html

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Depends on what games you want to play, at what resolution, what kind of FPS you're ok with, how much you want to invest in your next rig...

For now, IMO, the way to go would be a i5 3570K with a CoolerMaster 212 EVO for OCing, 8g DDR3-1600, Gigabyte/MSI/Sapphire/ASUS HD 7950 3gb (which OC like mad and can reach HD7970/GTX680 performances!), 1 SSD for boot and 1 HDD for games and stuff, a 1080p LCD and if you're a sound guy get a nice sound card and good 2.1 speakers or nice headphones...

With that you'll have a damn nice rig that will play 90%+ games at high/highest settings.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I play BF3 with the rig in my sig with zero issues. The CPU is heavily loaded and hits 90% utilization at times. But what that means is you do NOT need an overclocked i7 to play it. Sure it will be more future proof, but as Rhezuss says, go with an i5. And the 7950 is a fine choice, I love mine :)

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

Thanks.

Nowhere near as much as you and others may think.

Forget max settings, just go for high settings and you can save a lot of cash. Im still on a 3+ year radeon 5850 and it runs BF3 and other modern games beautifully at high settings with certain things at medium, shadows etc.

A cheap 7950 is all you really need today, for some that is overkill.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

Thanks.

I too was thinking of building a new gaming PC for myself. I am a novice at this to a certain extent, but was looking at a number of motherboards (and chipsets) and CPUs, along with graphics cards. My current system is not that bad, but it definitely has some outdated components.

My current system Mainboard: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
OEM P5E3 Deluxe

BIOS: AMI (OEM) 1404 -8/26/2008
Total Memory: 12GB DIMM DDR2 DDR3

Processor: Intel Core (TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00GHz

Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

-----------------

I haven't flashed the BIOS and probably won't since I haven't had any issues. (don't fix what ain't broke)..

If I build a new gaming system, some things I have to consider; do I want to overclock? Should I not worry about overclocking unless my system starts to seem sluggish?

As far as a good CPU would it be better to go with midrange, like say an Intel i5, vs i7?

I was looking at the GeForce GTX 360 graphics card, and was curious to others thoughts on comparable graphics cards.

I probably game at least 2-3 hours a day, 4 -5 times a week in my spare downtime.

There are a ton of games I just don't have right now, but want to start acquiring including some of the latest like Crisis 3, Black Ops 2 and many others.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I too was thinking of building a new gaming PC for myself. I am a novice at this to a certain extent, but was looking at a number of motherboards (and chipsets) and CPUs, along with graphics cards. My current system is not that bad, but it definitely has some outdated components.

My current system Mainboard: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
OEM P5E3 Deluxe

BIOS: AMI (OEM) 1404 -8/26/2008
Total Memory: 12GB DIMM DDR2 DDR3

Processor: Intel Core (TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00GHz

Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

-----------------

I haven't flashed the BIOS and probably won't since I haven't had any issues. (don't fix what ain't broke)..

If I build a new gaming system, some things I have to consider; do I want to overclock? Should I not worry about overclocking unless my system starts to seem sluggish?

As far as a good CPU would it be better to go with midrange, like say an Intel i5, vs i7?

I was looking at the GeForce GTX 360 graphics card, and was curious to others thoughts on comparable graphics cards.

I probably game at least 2-3 hours a day, 4 -5 times a week in my spare downtime.

There are a ton of games I just don't have right now, but want to start acquiring including some of the latest like Crisis 3, Black Ops 2 and many others.

A GTX 360? Tell me this is a typo??

an Ivy bridge i5 will work fine. i7 performance is not that much of a difference for gaming, and i5's seem to OC better.

For graphics, an AMD 7950 is hard to beat on a price for performance basis. But a GTX670 is a great card as well.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
A GTX 360? Tell me this is a typo??

an Ivy bridge i5 will work fine. i7 performance is not that much of a difference for gaming, and i5's seem to OC better.

For graphics, an AMD 7950 is hard to beat on a price for performance basis. But a GTX670 is a great card as well.

LOL yes, that was a typo, just realized..

GTX 460..lmao

Yea that is what I thought, from some of the stuff I am reading online, the Ivy bridge i5 is just as good. I guess the only difference is the threads between the i5 and the i7. The i7 outperforming on threads. Not sure how much that translates into gaming performance. I assume having many threads means faster programs being used all at once? It looks like the i5 has 4 cores, as does the i7. As I said, still learning all this and just reading to try and educate myself.

Any suggestions for a good performing motherboard? I have a cooler rmaster full tower case right now. So I would use my current case for the new build out.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Check out the following thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2192841

It's a thread about mid-range (~$1,000) builds based on current prices that mfenn updates once a week.

If you do decide to build, I would suggest making a thread in General Hardware, where hard working fellow members will do what they can to get you the most for your money.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
A game like Crysis 3 or far cry 3 can't be played at v high 1080p no AA with 60 fps even with a 3770k oc and Titan.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
plus...

equals...

:confused:

The Crytek engine when cranked all the way up is VERY hungry. With that said I can play FC3 with high settings and sustain 60fps most of the time. It would drop now and then in some areas. But if you crank it up to ultra then things go sour in short order.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Check out the following thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2192841

It's a thread about mid-range (~$1,000) builds based on current prices that mfenn updates once a week.

If you do decide to build, I would suggest making a thread in General Hardware, where hard working fellow members will do what they can to get you the most for your money.

Thanks for the link and I will certainly look at that thread and post hardware questions there.

However, I am looking at purchasing Crisis 3, given my set up right now, will the performance and graphics be lacking? or should I just wait till I have a newer gaming system finally built?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
You don't become a pc gamer. You need to be born as one of the PC Gamer master race.

Indeed, glory to us :biggrin:

PC_Gaming_Master_Race_by_Claidheam_Righ.jpg

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
i5-3570k, GTX670, and you are good to go

total, be prepared to spend a little over 1k for a great rig

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

Exactly. Save yourself $1,000+ and don't worry about bragging rights or "needing" to use Ultra-Spiffy settings for every game.

If it's a good game, it will be just as much fun on its "very nice" setting as it is on its "trying to justify spending $3K on a PC" setting.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008

I even think that might be overkill for most @ 1080p. I linked tom's $500 system builder PC, and check out the fps on battlefield 3:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-do-it-yourself-computer,3364-10.html

and thats with a 7850. I say this as someone who own primarily games on my 3570k and gtx670, but I also game on old old computer - and it still handles everything i throw at it (Q6600 + gtx560ti).

You can spend ~500 and be perfectly fine, but as others have said, spending around 800-1000 is the price/performance sweet spot.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I even think that might be overkill for most @ 1080p. I linked tom's $500 system builder PC, and check out the fps on battlefield 3:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-do-it-yourself-computer,3364-10.html

and thats with a 7850. I say this as someone who own primarily games on my 3570k and gtx670, but I also game on old old computer - and it still handles everything i throw at it (Q6600 + gtx560ti).

You can spend ~500 and be perfectly fine, but as others have said, spending around 800-1000 is the price/performance sweet spot.

I would rather 60+ fps, and a 670 doesn't even get that with a lot of agmes.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Keep in mind that your CPU will last a really long time, so don't be afraid to spend a little more on an i7 like the 3770k as more games are using moar cores. Regarding the GPU, the 7950 is probably best right now. Don't feel the need to buy the more expensive cards since video cards go obsolete almost instantly, and even the best cards right now (including the $1000 Geforce Titan) will start to suck in 2 years big time.
Again, a good quad core CPU will have a very long life for gaming. Consider going i7.