What does it mean when your toenails turn blue/purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
Today I played semi-serious basketball for the first time in about two years. Tonight my two big toes are blue and hurt like heck. Are my toenails going to fall off, or will they go back to normal in a few days?

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
No, i do remember getting them stepped on a few times by a 200+ lb. center. And my nails may have slammed into the front of my sneakers when I stopped quickly a few times.

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Was it really dark like when it gets bruised? My fingernails and toenails turn a bluish-purple when I get cold.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I don't know what it means. But I can tell you that it sure doesn't mean anything good.

damocles

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you generally have a purplish tinge, this can be a bad sign. It is often related to circulation problems and can be a clue toward heart disorders. It can also mean virtually nothing.
In your case i wouldnt be too worried, prob just those sneakers or those big toe steppers

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
It looks like the skin underneath the nails is pretty bruised up. It almost looks like when you hit your thumbnail with a hammer... just dark and ugly.

Shagga

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 1999
Have you considered you might be dead!!

It's a circulation problem me thinks and it might be due to the fact that your sitting at ya PC too much and not getting enough exercise. Goes for most of us I would of thought... Hehe!!!

;)

Format C:

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
As to why, you've answered your own question. I doubt that you're going to lose your nails but that depends on how bad the damage is. I would suggest alternating cold and hot packs along with something for the pain for now, and maybe increase your vitamin C intake dramatically for a few days to help accelerate healing.

XeonTux

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
It's prob just bruised from getting stepped on

On of my big toenails got the same way, its still growing out now after a few months. You'll prob keep it if it didn't get hit too hard but it will be ugly for a while. I have lost nails before and its not so great, so pray you keep it.

Rendus

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2000
When I used to play heavy football and basketball (every day in PE in highschool, my PE coach was the football coach and was always trying to recruit me :)), this'd happen a lot. It's mostly from getting your feet stepped on and such. I'd use a cold pack on those toes (to reduce swelling), and take it easy for a bit is all.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Stark, you will need to be careful that you do not get a fungus under your toenails. That can be very difficult to get rid of and they are much more suspectible when they are damaged.

For the next couple of weeks pay more attention then normal to keeping your feet clean and dry. Change socks often and all of that.

pdo

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
www.pauldophotography.com
Probably someone stepped on it and bruised your nails that's all. I don't know how serious your case is for some people they can just wait for the darkened spot to grow out. Takes about 2 months. Or if it's serious then you might need to go to a doctor and have pinch it to release the pressure. Yeah but keep it dry or fungus will start to develop. If it's turning light green then get to a doctor fast.

~zonker~

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2000
Yout athletic shoes do not have enough room in the toe area?

.... really. i bought a new pair of shoes, wore them for a day, woke up the next morning with painful and blue big toenails. Took those suckers back the next day....

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
They're probably just bruised. That happens to me too when I hurt my fingures in some way. It hurts like hell I know!

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
Well, i figured out what the purple was... blood! I was clipping my nails last night and blood and puss started gushing out. Now the only thing holding my toenails on is the skin on the sides and back (towards the foot). The underneath is totally seperated. :eek:

The best part was when I put some hydrogen peroxide under the nails... whoosh, lots of white bubbles, then a few seconds later oooouuuucccchhhh!

I guess I'll go to the doctor now. About time I used my insurance.

Renegade007

Mar 23, 2015
Just go to a doctor and stop wasting your time asking here. The doctors are better as they might know what exactly happened to you:rolleyes:

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Stark, you will need to be careful that you do not get a fungus under your toenails. That can be very difficult to get rid of and they are much more suspectible when they are damaged.

For the next couple of weeks pay more attention then normal to keeping your feet clean and dry. Change socks often and all of that.

OOPS, Necro, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.