What does it mean to be cut off when driving?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

02ranger

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2006
AHHHHH, now I see the problem. You really didnt read any of these posts did you?

I don't know about other states, but here in NC any time you rear end someone it's your fault. From what I've been told, it doesn't matter what the circumstances are. If you wreck and you're in back, you're paying. Sucks.

EMPshockwave82

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2003
says who? not in CT

Says the Yield signs on the on ramps at most of the on ramps in IL. May not be country wide.

No fail. Drivers on the highway, if they kept space between each other, could continue the same rate of speed while allowing the merging traffic to enter in the spaces.

Instead, people BUNCH as they approach a merge in the hopes of "not letting the guy get in front of me" so the merging traffic is forced to cut people off and the result is a lot of people hitting their brakes. The chain reaction of people cutting off, hesitating and speeding up to "go faster" creates a nice 10 minute delay.

A lot of routine traffic slowdowns could be avoided if people kept distance and allowed merging traffic to enter. At the same time, people need to understand that they need to enter traffic smoothly at a merge and not hesistate. If both sides actually know how to fucking drive, we'd all get there much faster.

You're right, both sides share the blame of the traffic slow downs. Also if people knew how to coast we would all be a lot better off. There is another state that a vehicle can be in other than braking and accelerating and many do not know it exists.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
It means if someone moves their car in front of mine and then slows down and it's close enough that I have to reduce my speed to avoid hitting them.