What does hard work have to do with how much you make?

TheGameIs21

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
You look at anyone that works in a steel mill, a rock quary, digging ditches etc... They put forth more energy in their vocation than any executive.

WORKING HARD DOES NOT = MORE MONEY
OFFERING SOMETHING THAT OTHERS CAN'T/WON'T = MORE MONEY
and
HAVING SKILLS THAT OTHERS DON'T = MORE MONEY

Example 1) You put an executive next to a security guard next to a miner. The executive has more skills that will make a company more money than the security guard and the miner. Of course, without one of these three positions, a mining company will go out of business. You can find most anyone to do mining you can find some people to work security but you will only find a handfull that can perform the job of the executive. It is simple supply and demand.

I know I have dummied down the example above but you get the picture.

Example 2

Why do you pay $300.00 to have an air conditioning tech (most are sole proprietors not talking about the chain service people) come out and fix your air conditioner by resetting a breaker?

A lady gets the bill and complains to the tech. She doesn't see why she should pay $300 for him to flip a switch to reset the breaker. He takes back the invoice and writes ".25 to flip the breaker. 299.75 to know which breaker to reset."

The tech definately didn't break a sweat but his knowledge and his trade can charge this fee because of supply and demand.

Example 3

A mining company has 1000 employees. Of those 1000, 500 are miners in the ground. In the town they work, there is a 5% unemployement rate and a large number of those in town that are unemployed have applied to work as a miner (generally the entry level position). They could easily replace the miner if he doesn't perform or conform to the companies idea of a good employee. So his actual worth is low to the company.

There are some that inherit their money. The ones that don't learn and apply themselves will lose it because it isn't easy to keep money. Just like the children that are born into a poor family are not going to do anything better until they obtain knowledge and apply that knowledge. You can't keep doing what has been tried in the past expecting a different result.

I know that it isn't "fair" that teachers, police, firemen, laborers and nurses don't make more money. The problem is that any place that has employees is about making money either for the owner or the stock owners. With that being said, employees are not people, they are line items in a book that shows if they put forth more or less financial gain than their employment share in the financial structure of the company. That is why people MUST ALWAYS work on bettering themselves. If I owned a company and it cost me $40K a year to pay you for putting out $20K a year worth of employment share... You are a NET LOSS to the company and I am not in business to hire people so they have jobs, I am hiring people to make more money.

That being said, if your skills and work ethic shows your employment share is $40K a year and your worth of employment share is 100K, you are much more valuable to the company and are in a position to make more money from your employer.

[end blabbering rant and no... there really isn't just one specific reason I posted this.]

Frdm51472

May 30, 2002
Hard Work does not equal the number of calories you burn to do your current job. It also isnt just about hard work, but a combination of hard work at some point in your life, aspirations, willingness to go after your aspirations and persistance. So if this thread is in reference to the tax thread, I have to ask the question why should people be punished for aspiring and achieving, just because other poor shleps dont.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh
is this post in response to something?
Yeah, I'm confused myself as it caught me by surprise (as in, where the hell did all this energy come from?).

I'll pick strawberries for 100k.

TheGameIs21

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Frdm51472
Hard Work does not equal the number of calories you burn to do your current job. It also isnt just about hard work, but a combination of hard work at some point in your life, aspirations, willingness to go after your aspirations and persistance. So if this thread is in reference to the tax thread, I have to ask the question why should people be punished for aspiring and achieving, just because other poor shleps dont.

I will say that the tax thread had a little to do with my post. My post primarily came from people talking about $$ in my office. I hope that my statements above don't make it sound as though I think that the schleps of the world deserve anything. I just had to vent about why some people make more than others even if the lower paid people bust their butts daily.

I have no false hopes or aspirations to change anyone's mind... just venting.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Hard work usually means you are more likely to get a promotion then someone who slacks all day. Promotions usually come with higher salaries.

KK

djNickb

Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by: CChaos
As Scrooge McDuck once said, Work smart, not hard.

Ever since my Duck Tales days this statement has been running through my head. Words to live by