What does EA actually do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
In Ultima 7, the main antagonist, the Guardian, was supposedly a representation of EA. They even used EA's logo in-game, where you had to destroy three blackrock generators to complete the game - a cube, sphere, and pyramid (which was EA's logo back in the early 90's and earlier). The two central agents (besides Batlin) for the Guardian were Elizabeth and Abraham (E and A).

They actually used to put out some good games back then, when they were still using that logo. They have become much larger and more annoying over the years. :p

Stas

Dec 31, 2004
Yes, indeed, and that's the "beauty" of capitalism. Not to argue that capitalism is bad; we will misuse and abuse any great idea because of our evil nature. Microsoft, Viacom, EA, AT&T, Cisco (not evil, but in position of HUGE control, thus they jack the prices), Walmart and other corporations are designed to take over their market niche. And the government will rather give them the status of "natural" monopoly than sue for unfair practices, because they gain more control through those corporations by providing mutual favors. As been said earlier, corporations are not going down on their own (unless a bigger corp. is interested in it). So, we're pretty much hopeless :(

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
You guys are describing capitalism. now you think it's evil? LOL

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I just hope what Stas says doesn't happen. EA already seems to be buckling a bit under the weight of its own shit. I mean, they can't just buy out every innovative group in the industry to create a vacume of new ideas...more will just continue to spring up.

I don't see why the government would bail out a video game company though...but they did bail out Chrysler.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Azn

Someone flunked Econ 101 ^^^

What they are describing is NOT capitalism, but what happens when capitalism is interfered with by governmental corruption. Judicial sanctioned monopolies (and oligopolies) are not capitalism. Judicial sanctioned illegal contractual kickbacks are not capitalism. Indentured servitude is not capitalism. Total lack of executive and legislative measures is correct this interference is not capitalism.

Capitalism good. Corruption evil.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: PingSpike
I just hope what Stas says doesn't happen. EA already seems to be buckling a bit under the weight of its own shit. I mean, they can't just buy out every innovative group in the industry to create a vacume of new ideas...more will just continue to spring up.

I don't see why the government would bail out a video game company though...but they did bail out Chrysler.

Family member and friends of Congress do not hold major holdings in EA, so no, if EA buckles, EA is going down boy.

But relax, there will always be independent PC game suppliers. That is, assuming, Microsoft does not become the EA of the PC world and start charging a royalty fee as large as the entire development budget (like it does for each XBox game) for each PC game sold (since it runs in a proprietary Windows environment). Don't scoff. That is what the courts did to us in the mid-to-late 1980s, so that there are no independent CONSOLE game suppliers, anymore.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Czar
Developers say 24 months
EA says 18 months

Developers say no way that can be done
EA says 12 months

Dvelopers say ok, 12 months are up here is what we could do with the time we had, needs alot of patching and feature addons later
EA says cool, lets sell it and make money

Developers say we need 3 months for the first patch
EA says, no way, you are supposed to be making a sequel and not patching a product already sold

truly

Stas

Dec 31, 2004

Video games = media. Media = propaganda ;)

Stas

Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: bullbert
Originally posted by: Azn

Someone flunked Econ 101 ^^^

What they are describing is NOT capitalism, but what happens when capitalism is interfered with by governmental corruption. Judicial sanctioned monopolies (and oligopolies) are not capitalism. Judicial sanctioned illegal contractual kickbacks are not capitalism. Indentured servitude is not capitalism. Total lack of executive and legislative measures is correct this interference is not capitalism.

Capitalism good. Corruption evil.

Thank you for replying to that. I was too lazy :)

Stas

Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: bullbert

Family member and friends of Congress do not hold major holdings in EA, so no, if EA buckles, EA is going down boy.

But relax, there will always be independent PC game suppliers. That is, assuming, Microsoft does not become the EA of the PC world and start charging a royalty fee as large as the entire development budget (like it does for each XBox game) for each PC game sold (since it runs in a proprietary Windows environment). Don't scoff. That is what the courts did to us in the mid-to-late 1980s, so that there are no independent CONSOLE game suppliers, anymore.

Microsoft wouldn't dare. The only advantage Windows has over Linux today is availability of video games. Now imagine if independant deleopers couldn't make games for Win anymore... they will make them for Linux. Goodbye DirectX and Windows! Hello, OpenGL and Linux. Hmmm... I kind of wish M$ would make that mistake :D

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They gotta be doing something right if we can be entirely unified in hatred for them (count me in), yet they still own most of the PC market that isnt blizzard.

Say what you want about capitalism, but at the end of the day, it can have a pretty stifling effect on artistic expression and quality.