Question What does an Apple Diagnostic Test do?

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I'm speaking with Apple support (web chat) about my iphone 8 rear camera causing purple glow around the images. I let them run a diagnostic on my phone and they told me "Upon reviewing the diagnostics on my end, it seems that there is no hardware issue with the rear camera. Possible that it’s a software issue with the camera app." I think that is total BS, but I'm wondering how they would come to that conclusion based on an OTA diagnostic test. Maybe they can determine if the camera "works", but I find it hard to believe they can determine if it is working properly based on that test.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I'm speaking with Apple support (web chat) about my iphone 8 rear camera causing purple glow around the images. I let them run a diagnostic on my phone and they told me "Upon reviewing the diagnostics on my end, it seems that there is no hardware issue with the rear camera. Possible that it’s a software issue with the camera app." I think that is total BS, but I'm wondering how they would come to that conclusion based on an OTA diagnostic test. Maybe they can determine if the camera "works", but I find it hard to believe they can determine if it is working properly based on that test.
As it was explained to me, we can run a diagnostic test and we can tell you if the camera on our end is working properly. If it is still not working properly then it is NOT on our end the problem! It is a problem on your end be it software or something else!
Good luck!

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I'd back it up, reset it to factory specs, then try the camera. If it works without the haze, you know it is your software. If it doesn't, I'd take it to an Apple store and have one of the Apple geeks there explain exactly how having a purple drug haze around all of your pictures is considered normal operation.

Last edited: