What does a silencer on a gun really sound like???

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
We've grown up knowing the sound of a gun with a silencer from movies, and now CS. What does it really sound like? Anybody know?

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
tom clancy has described the sound of a slienced weapon like the sound of a wire brush being swept across a rough piece of lumber, IIRC. its not the sound you hear in movies and tv.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
tom clancy has described the sound of a slienced weapon like the sound of a wire brush being swept across a rough piece of lumber, IIRC. its not the sound you hear in movies and tv.

Yeah, if they're any good, all you hear is the sound of the action.

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
It totally depends on the round in use, the receiver design, the silencer design, etc.

For example, if you used supersonic ammunition with a silencer meant for subsonic ammo, you'll attenuate the sound somewhat but it'll be a normal 'bang'. Some silencers are specifically designed to silence supersonic rounds by making them subsonic, while other silencers further attenuate the sounds of subsonic ammunition.

If I had to pick a particular sound, a silenced pistol will sound like a very loud handclap at a distance.

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
can't you make a single use one out of a 2 liter bottle?
Yes, you need a barrel adapter to attach the plastic bottle. It is better than nothing, but not by much.

If you really want to go ghetto, you can use the potato trick.

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Nefrodite

Um... I guess so, but you'd look pretty stupid using it.

You'd also need two sharpened chopsticks duct-taped to the sights of course, to peer over the bottle...

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Magicthyse

Um... I guess so, but you'd look pretty stupid using it.

You'd also need two sharpened chopsticks duct-taped to the sights of course, to peer over the bottle...

hey hey, i can point that 2 little bottle at you just fine without the sights:) just can't snipe hehe

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
It depends on the caliber of the weapon and type of action(gas or blowback). Some silencers operate by using a baffle system, some by use of "wadding"(packed with certain types of material) and some using fluid as a baffle.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
that goober beat me by one minute.. damned goobers.

a butt silencer would be amusing. silent but deadly.. ah yes :)

Magicthyse

Golden Member
Aug 15, 2001
that goober beat me by one minute.. damned goobers.

a butt silencer would be amusing. silent but deadly.. ah yes :)

As with your previous suggestion, sighting would be a problem...