What do you use to remove marker from glass?

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Recently, someone ran into and smashed my driver's side mirror. I bought and installed one from the local pick-a-part. They used some sort of permanent marker on the glass part of the mirror. I thought about scraping it off, but don't want to scratch the glass. Are there any good solvents that will take marker off the glass?

Dhawk

Oct 9, 1999
Don't do either of the above suggestions. Ammonia won't cut it. Acetone will smear it. Aluminum will scratch it.

Just spray the mirror with any glass cleaner, then use a fresh, new, single edge razor blade to scrape it off. The important things here are to keep it wet with glass cleaner for lubrication, and to only use a new single edge razor blade. Using an old razor blade will not be as effective and will scratch the glass.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Acetone didn't work at all :(

Originally posted by: Dhawk
Don't do either of the above suggestions. Ammonia won't cut it. Acetone will smear it. Aluminum will scratch it.

Just spray the mirror with any glass cleaner, then use a fresh, new, single edge razor blade to scrape it off. The important things here are to keep it wet with glass cleaner for lubrication, and to only use a new single edge razor blade. Using an old razor blade will not be as effective and will scratch the glass.

Ok I will give that a shot.

Dhawk

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Savij
go over it with a dry erase marker then wipe away

That may work if they used a permament ink maker, but most salvage yards use either a thick grease marker or a paint marker.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000

Glass cleaner is diluted ammonia.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I think it's a paint marker. Yellow and thick.

Originally posted by: Savij
go over it with a dry erase marker then wipe away

That may work if they used a permament ink maker, but most salvage yards use either a thick grease marker or a paint marker.

Dhawk

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: glen

Glass cleaner is diluted ammonia.

No sir, not all. The purpose of my suggesting glass cleaner was not to cut or clean the marker, but to provide a neutral lubricator with the razor blade.

Most commercial glass cleaners used by the auto and flat glass industry do not contain ammonia.

• All the autoglass sealant manufacturers say not to use glass cleaner with ammonia.
  • Ammonia will turn the backing on mirror black with prolonged usage