Discussion What do you think of this Police encounter?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Did not see what the reason for the initial stop was, just a traffic violation or did his car match one involved in a crime?, seems heavy-handed to order someone out of the vehicle at gunpoint for just speeding.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Look at this:

What do you think of this police encounter?
it makes me chuckle when i hear Americans complain about other countries being police states and authoritarian

initial stop was for no back license plate (he had carboard one after just having bought the vehicle) and for 'tinted windows' iirc

Reactions: zinfamous

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Look at this:

What do you think of this police encounter?

Driver of said vehicle received what was coming for his stupidity. Driving a stereo typical vehicle and not having the common sense to proactively coddle the officer.

You cannot expect a police officer to be reasonable and calm, you need to be proactive to make said police officer comfortable in a traffic stop. Cops are not selected for their IQ, in fact sometimes it is the opposite*. If you fit a stereotype, you need to either flip the script** (get out of the stereotype) or be very proactive at making said officer comfy.

Leeea's life tip of the day:
If the officer cannot see in your vehicle, 9 out of 10 they are going to be extremely jumpy with the gun. If you drop into a stereotype, the gun is coming out.

life tip:
Roll down all of your windows as soon as you are pulled over. Back and front. Every window in the car you can roll down. Gives the officer good sight lines and a tells him your being considerate of his fear / job related stress. Do not be digging in the glove compartment when the officer walks up, even if you cannot find your documents put your hands on the wheel in the 10 & 2 position like they taught in drivers ed.

Remember, a police officer is a scared man with a gun and permission to use it. Never forget that. It is not about being right, it is about surviving the most dangerous encounter of your life.

*https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836
** considering this is life and death, flipping the script is almost mandatory. Get ahead of the problem and make your vehicle look like it is owned*** by a white person. When the officer finally sees you, you want him to be surprised it is not a white person. You need to knock him off his script before he goes down that well worn grove.

***you know those stupid stick figure stickers showing a "cute" family on the back? Yea, those. Also, bumper stickers. In the army? get one of those. Have a kid in school? Get a school team sticker at one of their events. The CoExist sticker is also great, frequently used by anti-gun pacifists. Perfect for making the officer feel safe. It is not about looking good, it is about survival.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Virginia voted down a repeal of qualified immunity, meaning even if this guy wins, which he should, the cops themselves will face no penalties.

Reactions: Pohemi

railer

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2000
Virginia voted down a repeal of qualified immunity, meaning even if this guy wins, which he should, the cops themselves will face no penalties.
He led them on a chase and then wouldn't comply. It would be fascinating to hear what you think the cops are supposed to do here. Let the guy go once they realize he's not white and they may have a PR nightmare? I'm sure someone will say they should "de-escalate the situation", but when a suspect will simply not comply I have no idea how that is supposed to play out.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Pulling a brand new car over because it didn't appear to have license plates and the tint on the window was dark. What a bullshit reason to pull someone over.

Reactions: Pohemi

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
He led them on a chase and then wouldn't comply. It would be fascinating to hear what you think the cops are supposed to do here. Let the guy go once they realize he's not white and they may have a PR nightmare? I'm sure someone will say they should "de-escalate the situation", but when a suspect will simply not comply I have no idea how that is supposed to play out.

Is there a reason why you are lying about what happened?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
He did not lead them on a chase - Virginia law says when someone tries to pull you over you’re allowed to travel to a well lit place, and it seems like he was smart to do so considering the ensuing misconduct

What I think the cops should do is not go insane on a citizen who is well within his rights, who is trying to calm the crazed officers down, and who is trying to comply with their contradictory orders.

In this case the suspect attempted to engage with law enforcement responsibly and the response of law enforcement was to brutalize him without cause. What really needs to happen here is we need to make it way easier to fire police officers.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Police misconduct should be the nexus of where people can agree about public sector employment reform.

People are absolutely right it’s too hard to fire teachers and other public sector people for misconduct. What conservatives don’t want to admit though is that the police are by far the most egregious offenders. So yes, let’s fire teachers more easily but yes, let’s fire cops more for things like this.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Lordy

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Driver of said vehicle received what was coming for his stupidity. Driving a stereo typical vehicle and not having the common sense to proactively coddle the officer.

You cannot expect a police officer to be reasonable and calm, you need to be proactive to make said police officer comfortable in a traffic stop. Cops are not selected for their IQ, in fact sometimes it is the opposite*. If you fit a stereotype, you need to either flip the script** (get out of the stereotype) or be very proactive at making said officer comfy.

Leeea's life tip of the day:
If the officer cannot see in your vehicle, 9 out of 10 they are going to be extremely jumpy with the gun. If you drop into a stereotype, the gun is coming out.

life tip:
Roll down all of your windows as soon as you are pulled over. Back and front. Every window in the car you can roll down. Gives the officer good sight lines and a tells him your being considerate of his fear / job related stress. Do not be digging in the glove compartment when the officer walks up, even if you cannot find your documents put your hands on the wheel in the 10 & 2 position like they taught in drivers ed.

Remember, a police officer is a scared man with a gun and permission to use it. Never forget that. It is not about being right, it is about surviving the most dangerous encounter of your life.

*https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836
** considering this is life and death, flipping the script is almost mandatory. Get ahead of the problem and make your vehicle look like it is owned*** by a white person. When the officer finally sees you, you want him to be surprised it is not a white person. You need to knock him off his script before he goes down that well worn grove.

***you know those stupid stick figure stickers showing a "cute" family on the back? Yea, those. Also, bumper stickers. In the army? get one of those. Have a kid in school? Get a school team sticker at one of their events. The CoExist sticker is also great, frequently used by anti-gun pacifists. Perfect for making the officer feel safe. It is not about looking good, it is about survival.
They had no reason for undue fear, he pulled over and kept his hands where they could be seen, granted cops do face danger from maniacs but if it's that unsettling no one is forcing them to remain cops. I'd rather be shot then put a stick-family on my window, that's just me though..

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
They had no reason for undue fear, he pulled over and kept his hands where they could be seen, granted cops do face danger from maniacs but if it's that unsettling no one is forcing them to remain cops. I'd rather be shot then put a stick-family on my window, that's just me though..

-Not sure if many departments still do it,and the irony would run *deep*, but donating some money for one of those "I support the cops" badge sticker things to put on your car would be a fair trade-off...

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Have you ever spoke to a police officer? Outside of their job? They are the most terrified people I know. Jumpy jumpy. Constantly harping on how their job is the most dangerous in America (it is not). Carrying a gun around off duty, etc.

It is like a sickness. Something about the job takes people who are slightly inclined toward paranoia and drops them into a pool of it. They become scared of everything, suspicious of everything, and kind of lose connection with reality. It is not as bad as Q, but for a certain percentage of people who become police officers something about the training, the mentality, and the job simply messes with their mind.

People think they are getting off on some sort of power trip, but it is the exact opposite. They are terrified, and have been told if they are going to get shot as a police officer is most likely on an ordinary traffic stop. Every time they pull someone over it stresses them out, and sooner or later they just snap. A whole bunch of them are just terrified of everyone.

Reactions: Zorba and Jaskalas

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Statistically police have about a quarter the fatal injury rate of sanitation workers. This fact is not appreciated when I bring it up in the context of excessive force situations where the defense is commonly that cops have to deal with dangerous people so it is excusable. I would not feel the slightest bit of sadness if state legislatures started to break up police unions which serve virtually no purpose now other than to keep officers beyond the reach of basic accountability even for the worst offenses.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Have you ever spoke to a police officer? Outside of their job? They are the most terrified people I know. Jumpy jumpy. Constantly harping on how their job is the most dangerous in America (it is not). Carrying a gun around off duty, etc.

It is like a sickness. Something about the job takes people who are slightly inclined toward paranoia and drops them into a pool of it. They become scared of everything, suspicious of everything, and kind of lose connection with reality. It is not as bad as Q, but for a certain percentage of people who become police officers something about the training, the mentality, and the job simply messes with their mind.

People think they are getting off on some sort of power trip, but it is the exact opposite. They are terrified, and have been told if they are going to get shot as a police officer is most likely on an ordinary traffic stop. Every time they pull someone over it stresses them out, and sooner or later they just snap. A whole bunch of them are just terrified of everyone.

I was working for a cop and we were out front of his house talking, a sterotypical SUV like this one drove down his street and his eyes went straight to it. He said something like whats going on here I hope this ain't trouble and his eyes and head followed that thing all the way down the street, completely ignoring whatever I was trying to tell him at the time. Now that you say it he had that jumpyness to him as it happened too, it was like a reflex his whole body jerked when he saw that SUV.

Reactions: Leeea

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The following exchange is all I need to hear to conclude cops should be immediately fired and charged for civil rights violations

"Two police officers held a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Medical Corps at gunpoint and pepper-sprayed him during a traffic stop in Windsor, Virginia. When he told them he was “afraid” to get out of his vehicle, one of the officers replied, “Yeah, you should be.”

Anyone doubt cops would have lied about the encounter absent body cam footage??

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I thought you were being facetious with this opening comment, until I realized you weren't.
Your comment equates to: "That's what you get for having dark skin. Guess you just shouldn't go outside."
He led them on a chase and then wouldn't comply.
"A second officer, Joe Gutierrez, was in the vicinity when Crocker’s call went out and opted to join the stop. Arthur said Gutierrez told him that Nazario’s choice to continue to a well-lit area is not uncommon, “and 80% of the time, it’s a minority,” he quoted the officer as saying.

He slowed his speed, turned his signal on, and found the gas station less than a mile down the road.

Just conveniently ignored that fact, eh?

Shut the fuck up, clown.

He's suing them and I hope he cleans them out for doing this.
It won't be "them", though...it'll be taxpayers on the hook for it, as always.

Last edited:

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Did anyone catch that the cop had to reach inside to unlock the door to open it from the outside. So, with that said, how the fuck was this guy supposed to keep both hands outside the window, yet, be able to get out without bringing his hand in to unlock the door? Which if he had done so would have most likely resulted in being shot by these clowns.