What do you think of this monitor?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It doesn't look too bad, as long as you don't need to change it's height or viewing angle (or you will need to replace the base/mount). Don't expect to use it for high quality TV/movies/color reproduction due to it really being a 6bit panel. You may have some issues with games not being able to play using the native resolution, but for the ones that do work, it will be really nice.

I personally never really liked the ultra-wide screens (most tended to have lots of issues with backlight uniformity), but I also perform some minor video/photo editing on my monitors and had to make sure color reproduction is very accurate.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
It's a good price, but I'm not fond of the 1080 ultrawides. I think you would be happier with a 1440 UW if you can spend a bit more.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think it belongs in the Hardware forums and not the Software forums.

Also I think 75 hertz is crap and you should get something smaller and faster. Like an ASUS ROG.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I hate the current monitor options.

You must compromise on something, there are no great choices. You can get awesome color and viewing angles with IPS, but it probably won't support much higher than 60hz even if it has freesync. You can get a "gaming" monitor supporting up to 144mhz, but it's some flakey VA panel that will probably get a few bad pixels and won't look as nice as ips. And if you want to get it in a larger screen size, or you want it to support nvidia's gsync? Pay out the nose.

I'd pay a small fortune for an IPS 4k screen with 144mhz support & no bad pixels, but it seems that combination is impossible to manufacture.

That said, this screen seems pretty nice. It's just a shame it maxes at 75hz and isn't a 4k screen.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I hate the current monitor options.

You must compromise on something, there are no great choices. You can get awesome color and viewing angles with IPS, but it probably won't support much higher than 60hz even if it has freesync. You can get a "gaming" monitor supporting up to 144mhz, but it's some flakey VA panel that will probably get a few bad pixels and won't look as nice as ips. And if you want to get it in a larger screen size, or you want it to support nvidia's gsync? Pay out the nose.

I'd pay a small fortune for an IPS 4k screen with 144mhz support & no bad pixels, but it seems that combination is impossible to manufacture.

That said, this screen seems pretty nice. It's just a shame it maxes at 75hz and isn't a 4k screen.
This won't be fixed for a long time. The closest we have to technology that can do this is OLED. This technology still suffers from color representation and refresh rate issues (however progress is being made). Not to mention it is still not being manufactured in mass, and as such, suffers with very high production cost.

Some of the older technologies would be much better suited to solving these problems, but they have all be wiped out of the market (SED had the best chance (had all the best qualities of CRT (black levels, refresh rates, color representation, delay) and eliminated the drawbacks of size/weight), but has been mired in patent lawsuits for over a decade and as such I don't see it ever being developed;Plasma is dead, but could have done all of this, just with a risk of burn-in and high power consumption).

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
I use that monitor at work, at home I have a 3440x1440. As much as I'd prefer the higher res at work it doesn't hold me back at all. I think it's perfect, in fact I bought 10 more for the rest of my team (all in programmatic / data analysis.) I have played rocket league on it (It's hooked up to a macbook pro so not much gaming) and it looked great. They are great monitors for the price.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It seems like a good monitor, but I decided that since I now have I think a 29" 1080p, all it would add would be the couple inches on the sides, and that's not quite worth the upgrade I suspect.