what do you think of MS's ".net" move..

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
we were having this discussion at #neochat last night and just wanted to hear some more opinions on microsofts new efforts to round up the developers community and their future release of a new derivant to a programming language called C#.

any thoughts?

dam()

SufferinSuccotash

Jun 4, 2000
Is there any more information about this somewhere? I hadn't heard anything about it?

The ++ in C++ was supposed to signify C with more features, is C# supposed to preprocess your entire code before you wirte it? :)

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
I think that they are confusing it for html...

"its a bold new language that allows anyone from any device to check resumes or the internet or read a book"

Its called HTML.

(edit: their PR release a while ago mentioned something about using any device to read resumes (why they picked that I dont know) from any compatible device)

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think for anyone who's done any COM programming, at least the concept of C# is exciting. There are, however, certain aspects of the language that scare me... I won't list them all. It appears that Microsoft is trying to adhere to the needs of business, instead of adhering to the needs of developers who have to work with the language. Certain parts of the core language design shouldn't be a part of the language.

.NET is Microsoft's attempt to save the sinking ship. The Internet, along with it's standard protocols, are a danger to something as proprietary and closed as Windows. So, Microsoft is "betting the farm" on the concept of "software as a service." They are attempting to leverage XML technology such as SOAP with Windows, in order to keep Microsoft an industry leader for at least the next five years.

IMHO it's all a hack. They don't have much to show right now. If any other company came out with this design they would be ignored. Microsoft has the power to manipulate the media and they are doing so. By all indications, in the best case, .NET is at least two years away.

C# is another programming language. It is for people who are too cool to code VB and who don't feel like dealing with C++'s complexities. As a programming language it is very bland. It really offers nothing new to the development world. It borrows heavely from Java but at the same time it offers features that make it as confusing and dangerous as C++.

The thing to look for if you are developing Windows software is the Common Language Runtime (or something to that effect). This is going to be a set of COM libraries that you will be able to use from any of the Visual Studio 7.0 languages (VC++, C#, and VB). They also claim that ANY programming language, all the way down to COBOL, can use the CLR. The MSDN site has some info on this.

Take it all with a grain of salt. This is Microsoft talking. It's 90% marketing, 10% technology.

SufferinSuccotash

Jun 4, 2000
Thanks for the articles, DAM. Sounds like just another way for Microsoft to have that much more control over the software er, excuse me, <sarcasm>services</sarcasm>. Almost like MS is using the Internet to create a cyber-tyranny over Web systems.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Don't change what already works. You hear that you Microsoft Bastards, leave the internet the hell alone! Its fine the way it is now!