What do you think is the next "boom" for our economy?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Do you even think there will be a "boom"?

If so, what?

I am heavily into computers, manual labor is not for me. I am currently planning to major in computer science and a minor in business.

If the comp sci fails I'll go head on into business and major in that. If that fails I'll major in psychology.

Thanks for your insight.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I think the next boom will be in about 40 years when all the boomers are dead and the economy has recovered from being sucked dry by providing health care. Then, anything looks good.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
The next "boom" will be technology, after the "dot-com" bust, people are weary to mention tech IMO, but regardless, tech is where it's at in the long term IMO Nocturnal :)

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
I think the next boom will be in about 40 years when all the boomers are dead and the economy has recovered from being sucked dry by providing health care. Then, anything looks good.

Ditto. Once Medicare and SS get reformed, things will change. (alternately, once our government collapses because of Medicare and SS, things will change)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

I agree. It looks like this is only going to get worse before it gets better.

SeaMonki

Jan 26, 2003
the next boom will be in health care (docs, nurses or anything to do with providing care for the aging population). Unless you are into computer security, it's gonna be a tough road ahead in computer science as more jobs are inevitably outsourced for a cheaper rate elsewhere.

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
I agree that the next big thing will be health care. There all types of posistions in my area, and my area isn't very well developed.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Nation wide public transportation. We need the equivalent of the interstate freeway system ie.medium and long distance high speed surface transportation.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Currently there are so many thing's that can be improved upon that it's pretty much impossible to know what field will be responsible for the next boom. With the way everyone is jumping into the medical industry as simple RN's I feel that job industry will become flooded with under trained people working simple 9 to 5 jobs or night shifts.

Jobs need to be created big time at this point, and there aren't enough "smart people" out there working hard to make that happen.