What do you think about inmates receiving health care?

hulk14

Banned
Jun 16, 2003
I am referring to that convicted murderer in OHIO with kidney problems who asked for the transplant. To me that just seems completely crazy. Why would you give a transplant to a guy that is condemned to die and take it away from the people that really need it.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
On the surface it's absolutely crazy but the more ya think about it the more you agree with the law. And just because the law says they are suppose to receive the transplant doesn't mean they do. If someone else is waiting for the organ it will go to the next person, I seen a story on it on MSNBC once..

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Well I've commented before in similar threads.

The right to receive an organ is not absolute. Even non-incarcerated persons who are not good candidates for organ transplantation due to a number of factors can and are denied organs. The reasons for which a patient may be deemed a poor candidate are many, including refusal or inability to comply with medical advice. Transplant physicians are in fact empowered to make these decisions because it is recognized that organs are a precious gift of limited supply that should not be wasted on patients whose chances of success are bleak.

Prisoners, by nature of their incarceration, are not good candidates for transplantation and thus should be denied organs.

The End.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
This again makes good sense!

The physician has the call and should be lawfully empowered to consider all the facts.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
hulk14

Anybody who trangresses the law should be doomed to death if incarcerated, huh? People are encarcerated, removed from society, and rehabilitated. What gives you the reason to deny fair health tratment and harm to all prisoners? You lack the charity and forgiveness that Jesus Christ exemplified for all mankind? Are you only governed by logic other than the Devine love of Christ, the foundation of this country and its judicial process?

If the man can get a transplant, so be it. It is not a judgement for you or the public, nor for government to deny his right to fair and equal health care.

You would be absolutely amazed at the good gifts of inmates who give unselfishly of their body parts when asked. And when an inmate needs one, you wish him to die.

You are without any sensitivity, and totally lacking in the ability to judge others. Must be a junior in more ways than one.
rolleye.gif

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Hmmm, that blather was so completely irrational I can't tell whether it was serious or done with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

jeremy806

May 10, 2000
Inmates have as much of a right to health care as anyone else does.

For the most part, I do not think that anyone has a right to healthcare.

jeremy806

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: jeremy806

jeremy806

They deserve basic basic health care, but does someone sentenced to life in prison have a right to transplants?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by: jeremy806

Ha, I like it!

This is the kind of public policy that makes people resent paying their taxes. Well I mean, in addition to all the other things that make people resent paying their taxes, spending $250,000 ~ $500,000 to give a double murderer serving a life sentence without possibility of parole a liver transplant because he injected a lot of bad heroin, who will in all likelihood only live another two or three years max because he won't comply with medical advice after his operation, is just one more thing that strikes the vast majority of people as quite the outrageous.

It may also make people not want to be organ donors. I know it doesn't warm the cockles of my heart to think my parting gift might save the life of a serial rapist.

We can, and we should, deny prisoners organ transplants, for a number of good public policy reasons which are not mitigated by blind and overzealous ethical arguments.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: hulk14
I am referring to that convicted murderer in OHIO with kidney problems who asked for the transplant. To me that just seems completely crazy. Why would you give a transplant to a guy that is condemned to die and take it away from the people that really need it.

Was he sentenced to death, life, or less? Given the number of convictions that are being overturned with DNA evidence, I'd say prisoners do deserve proper medical care. Denying adequate medical care could be considered cruel and unusual.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
this country is just fvcked up

there are those who work their butt off trying to make a leaving and to make ends meet, without committing any crimes, receiving no health care

but on the other hand, convicted felons get health care
rolleye.gif

what's wrong with this picture

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Dacalo

there are those who work their butt off trying to make a leaving and to make ends meet, without committing any crimes, receiving no health care

rolleye.gif

You can have universal health care anytime you want to vote for it.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I think if an inmate is on Death Row AND... has exhausted all his/her appeals THEN he/she SHOULD be denied a organ transplant UNLESS they can pay for it out of their own money.

Commish

Jan 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
Originally posted by: Dacalo

rolleye.gif

You can have universal health care anytime you want to vote for it.

Yeah, that would solve everything.
rolleye.gif

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
If there are no more suitable recipients outside of prison I say throw him a kidney or two