What do you think about DUI checkpoints?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'd like to see them used more often, and in more places...like outside every bar or tavern.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Support them. I think they're the top of a very slippery slope of privacy invasions, but since the courts are so lenient on DUI something has to be done.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
I think they are crap. The avg checkpoint does NOT get many impaired drivers off the road. They are a nuisance in that they cause traffic snarls and the cops spend most of their time writing seatbelt violations, etc.

My family was heading home from the in-laws about a year or so ago--it's about 2.5 hours from South Jersey to our house in Pennsylvania. We got stuck in a backup on a HIGHWAY in Delaware for a checkpoint that delayed us by about 30 minutes. We didn't leave the in-laws until 10pm or so, expecting to be home by 1am at the latest. Driving on back country roads in Pennsylvania late at night sucks, but when the trip is extended it sucks even more.

Conveniently, I realized what it was about 5 cars before we got there and buckled up in time. Kids, of course, were sleeping.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
I had my first one only two years ago. We never have any around here and when I went to visit a friend, while we were heading back from dinner, we had to stop at a checkpoint. I was PISSED. I don't drink and the fact that they feel they need to stop everyone and make sure they're not breaking the law just gets under my skin. Yes, I understand the societal benefits of it, but I still hate it. Any local politician that supports these checkpoints instantly loses my vote.

compnovice

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2005
Originally posted by: altonb1

Conveniently, I realized what it was about 5 cars before we got there and buckled up in time. Kids, of course, were sleeping.

See, it served at least some purpose!!

Mojoed

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2004
For some strange reason, this thread reminds me of that Best Buy thread where someone threw a fit over being asked to show their receipt.

I'm willing to bet the people who think DUI checkpoints are a bad idea are the same people who would refuse to show their receipt when asked.

DUI checkpoints save lives. Period. You are selfish if you think checkpoints are stupid just because it costs you a few minutes of your time. It seems some of you take this personally.

It's about saving lives, not about your convenience. Get over yourselves.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
You, as a lifer, support the conclusion that most lifers are stupid and without an imagination.

Thanks

Rogo

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Mojoed
For some strange reason, this thread reminds me of that Best Buy thread where someone threw a fit over being asked to show their receipt.

I'm willing to bet the people who think DUI checkpoints are a bad idea are the same people who would refuse to show their receipt when asked.

DUI checkpoints save lives. Period. You are selfish if you think checkpoints are stupid just because it costs you a few minutes of your time. It seems some of you take this personally.

Really? Care to show proof? Fact of the matter is, DUI checkpoints do NOT work. A more effective use of money would be more roving patrols.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Canai
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: Canai
I support them. DUI kills.
Falling asleep at the wheel kills too.

I'm pretty sure you'd wake up for a DUI checkpoint ;)

Exactly.

DUI checkpoints, while tedious for people who follow the law anyway, are able to stop a lot of drunk, tired, and unbelted drivers.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
We need more DUI checkpoints in Hawaii. I'm on the road nearly 5 hours a day, and I rarely go a day without seeing someone driving erratically. Most of my island is pretty rural, so there's pretty much nothing to do here but go to the beach and drink. I've never even seen a DUI checkpoint.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I'd like to see them used more often, and in more places...like outside every bar or tavern.

Oh, that would be profiling.
profiling = the bad.

If police could enforce deportation orders, we could seriously affect crime rates. But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, they aren't ALLOWED !!

Mojoed

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2004
Originally posted by: rpkelly

Really? Care to show proof? Fact of the matter is, DUI checkpoints do NOT work. A more effective use of money would be more roving patrols.

There is no way to scientifically prove, I agree. HOWEVER, in my town ALONE I have seen with my own two eyes, DOZENS of arrests due to DUI checkpoints. Now I don't have real statistics, (I'm sure someone does) but I would guess there would be several thousand arrests nationally annually.

Now I don't need scientific proof to *know* that taking this many drunks off the road saves lives.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: AlienCraft

profiling = the bad.

If police could enforce deportation orders, we could seriously affect crime rates. But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, they aren't ALLOWED !!

And if they just jailed all men, rape would be almost nonexistant.

You can go ahead and live in your homogeneous pod-person society if you want.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: rpkelly

There is no way to scientifically prove, I agree. HOWEVER, in my town ALONE I have seen with my own two eyes, DOZENS of arrests due to DUI checkpoints. Now I don't have real statistics, (I'm sure someone does) but I would guess there would be several thousand arrests nationally annually.

Now I don't need scientific proof to *know* that taking this many drunks off the road saves lives.

Arrests do not necessarily equate to convictions, nor to increased safety. And anecdotal evidence is never a good thing to go by.

If officials were interested, they could always compare rates of alcohol-related accidents (even though I hate that term) from previous holiday seasons to the one in which checkpoints have been initiated. It wouldn't in any way allow conclusions of causality, but it could serve as a baseline and support the idea that they might be doing something to help.

That being said, I'd support a greater number of patrolling vehicles/officers MUCH more than I would checkpoints at which you're subjected to examination without having necessarily exhibited any behaviors to warrant such inspection.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: AlienCraft

profiling = the bad.

And if they just jailed all men, rape would be almost nonexistant.

You can go ahead and live in your homogeneous pod-person society if you want.

Sarcasm meter dead, wtf do you mean?

'Jail all men' Preemptively , I assume?
This is probably the singular most asinine response I've ever seen on ATOT.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
people who have been drinking have no business being on the road. if you have been drinking, and pick up your car keys, you are putting me in danger.

people without seatbelts are different. while I would rather that they wear them for their safety, as nobody wants to hear about an accident that became fatal because the occupant was unrestrained, the act of not wearing your seatbelt does not endanger other motorists.

DUI kills. remember acemcmac?

basic rationale for checkpoints:
collisions, injuries, and deaths prevented > time wasted (adjusted for cost and importance)

Note: I used the word "collisions" above because a "drunk driving accident" has a very clear and preventable cause