What do you think about drone strikes?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Your opinion on drone strikes?

• I (rather) approve of them

• I (rather) object to them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I don't believe that at all. Look at other countries not getting involved in world politics the way the US does. Terrorists are not targeting them.
"Western" also corresponds to Canada and Europe. Also Japan and Australia.

Personally I think US foreign policy and actions in other countries are the main points terrorists have issues with. Why would anyone care what anyone else does unless it affects you or a group you are affiliated to? There are people who hate the US, true, but why? The unresolved Israel-Palestine conflict, invading countries without declaration of war, torture and abduction, bases in foreign countries against the will of the people, support of dictators all don't make people like you better. I'm 100% certain that if you could ask any terrorist he would not say "I hate you!" - instead he would say "I hate you because xyz!" There are reasons why people do things, even terrorists.

You are making the same mistake of assuming that our actions cause their behavior, or that we're somehow guilty and getting what we deserve. The fact is that they fight us first because we're the ones hunting them down and putting up the most resistance. If no one resisted them, they'd be trying to push their backwards religion as fast and as far as it would go, and that would include acts of terrorism in "peaceful" nations. And FWIW, terror plots targeting virtually every first world country are foiled every year. For the US, UK, France & Australia, it's more like every month.

I recommend the book "The Control Factor" by Bill Siegel. It's a psychology book that addresses American's need to feel in control of the world, and our tendency to reshape problems until they fit a predetermined solution, even if that solution won't work.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
they are also going to agree with a terrorist base on their religion whether or not we are involved.

Where did the mass of hatred against the US come from initially in those areas.
The radicals pulled together disillusionists and pointed at a target. Then the leadership ran for the hills letting their followers take the brunt of the retaliation.

Remember, the only thing that we actually did in the ME for 30+ years was to come to the assistance of the Arabs asking for help with Saddam.

And that apparently was enough justification for the Cole, embassy bombings and 9/11.

So had we done much of nothing (which Clinton did), that would appease them and they would go back home all happy.
we tried that, it did not work - they saw us as week and found more chances to continue their crusade.

The recruited more terrorists because of their success; whether we had attacked back; they were coming after us.

Some can believe in turning the other cheek; we have seen what that gets us. Presently we are the biggest target around.
You saw what happens when the radicals go after Russia of China. They get stepped on ruthlessly and very little is followed up on.

Being a goody-to-shoes does not work when it is perceived as being week.

Um we've been involved in the middle east for more than 30 years. I think you should get yourself a history book. Terrorist didn't just one day start hating America, they started hating America when we started meddling with their country, their politics, and their enemies.

Stupid is as stupid does.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You are making the same mistake of assuming that our actions cause their behavior, or that we're somehow guilty and getting what we deserve. The fact is that they fight us first because we're the ones hunting them down and putting up the most resistance. If no one resisted them, they'd be trying to push their backwards religion as fast and as far as it would go, and that would include acts of terrorism in "peaceful" nations. And FWIW, terror plots targeting virtually every first world country are foiled every year. For the US, UK, France & Australia, it's more like every month.

I recommend the book "The Control Factor" by Bill Siegel. It's a psychology book that addresses American's need to feel in control of the world, and our tendency to reshape problems until they fit a predetermined solution, even if that solution won't work.

Ignorance must be bliss! History simply disagrees with you.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Ignorance must be bliss! History simply disagrees with you.

Good, specific argument. I like how you detailed which parts of history disagrees with each part of my post. I wish I'd never tangled with the likes of you; I'm flummoxed. o_O