What do you take when you have cold?

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
I usually just let colds run their course, but I got a cold last Sunday and decided to do battle with it.

I'm taking vitamin C, zinc, echinacea, and astragalus.

My colds usually linger for a couple of weeks, so since I'm just about cured in less that a week, I think all of this stuff is helping.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
echinacea at the first signs of a cold, doesn't do much for you imho during a cold.

Vitamin C like 2000mg or whatever a day. I also take either tylenol or advil cold medicine.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i take a multi vitiman and some echinacea every day anyway. i usially take some advil if i have a bad headache and ill take some sudafed so i can breathe

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
About 3 vitamin C tablets per day, and *double* my normal water intake. Works pretty well for me.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
alka seltzer effervescent tablets every few hours.. lots of cocoa, soup and lots of staying warm :)

The soup is the secret, one can of chunky soup.. with about ten finely chopped green chiles (the really hot ones)... works for me !

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Zinc (Cold-Eeze)
Garlic
L-lysine
Echinacea
Chicken soup
Increase water consumption

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
nyquil at night, advil cold and sinus or tylenol cold and flu (or whatever it is) during the day, OJ when my throat is sore

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
If you have heavy drainage leading to a sore throat, take one Tbsp of apple cider vineager in 1 cup of water and gargle with it. It's alleged to kill all bacteria, including strep.

Once per hour for 24 hours. My mother in-law swears by it. I do too.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Originally posted by: xSauronx
nyquil at night, advil cold and sinus or tylenol cold and flu (or whatever it is) during the day, OJ when my throat is sore

Yeah baby, it's all about the drugs. The way I figure it I think I've spent $6,425,297.53 on cold medicine this season and I'm still fighting sore throats, headaches, etc... I think the next time I go to the drug store I'm gonna just empty out the entire aisle and create my own lab at home. I figure with enough mixing and matching I should be able to create a cold cocktail that will either A) cure my cold, B) put me in a coma or C) give me the ability to fly.

I'll let you know how I make out. :)

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
I was able to workout today for the first time since Tuesday. I'm almost back to 100%. It might be a placebo effect, but the stuff I took seems to have done me some good.

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
4 Dayquil caplets to get me through the work day, and 4 Nyquil caplets to help me sleep through the night ;)

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: Riprorin
I was able to workout today for the first time since Tuesday. I'm almost back to 100%. It might be a placebo effect, but the stuff I took seems to have done me some good.

I haven't been able to work out since Tuesday but am hopeful I'll get some good gains when I can resume exercising since I got put on steroids to help my asthma.60 mg of predinisone a day oughta be good for something.

I'm afraid to try a lot of the herbal remedies and supplements for fear of how they might interact with RX drugs,glad they are working for you and you are feeling better.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
My colds are just a bad stuffy and runny nose. I use the vitamins and stuff, but also Dayquill in the day, and Nyquil at night. It almost goes away before you know it.