What do you suggest for me to use for my phone backup?

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
After 9 years with a ole dumb phone I upgraded to a galaxy s-8.
Part of the plan was 5 gig cloud storage space for $5 a month. I never used the storage so I cancelled it.
I just use the phone to text the grand kids and adult kids and maybe take a picture to send.
What do you suggest that I can use for my backup? I think the only thing vz backs up is my phone contacts.
Cloud storage is OK as long as it is free!! LOL
Backing up to a flash drive, etc would work for me.
Your thoughts?

SORRY ABOUT THE MESSED UP SUBJECT LINE. TRIED TO CORRECT IT BUT COULDN'T.

Changed the title. Hope that is what you meant to say.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Since its a Galaxy it has an SD card slot in it. Throw a decent sized SD card in it (128GB or whichever size you need) and keep most of your content on that rather than the phone's internal storage. The camera app for example can be set to store straight to SD.

(^ Sorry I should specify Micro SD.)

As for an off-device backup, you could use a cloud service like Google Drive. I think it's 15GB free.

There are a couple different apps to do SMS backup if you're wanting to backup your text messages. You can find one you like in the Google Play store. (Sorry I can't remember off hand the one I used to use).

Finally, my own personal pref for quick backups of my phone (photos and videos and such) is to use a USB flash drive with dual connection types.

That is, USB-C at one end and regular USB 3 on the other. Just plug into your phone and use a file manager to backup from the phone and then plug into a computer to copy the files over. Works best the opposite way too, copying large files to the phone from PC.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-128GB-Type-C-SDDDC2-128G-G46/dp/B01EZ0X55C

^ example

Last edited:

Pghpooh

Jan 9, 2000
Thanks for all the info!!! In the past 6 weeks,, I replaced a old phone,, 8 year old laptop and 8 year old desktop. Learning to use a new phone,, windows 10 and everything else is,,, challenging. ( or pain in the butt at my age. LOL)
Again,,, thank you!